Sponsored by:

Defeat the Headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 07:48 AM
nappyvette
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Defeat the Headlights?

Is there a setting to defeat the headlights, so that the LED's only stay on?

Thanks
Old 05-26-2017, 08:11 AM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

There is not, but I am working on a "Plug-and-Play" unit that will set the default of the Auto Headlights to OFF, without turning off the DRLs too.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:23 PM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 144 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by ersatz928
There is not, but I am working on a "Plug-and-Play" unit that will set the default of the Auto Headlights to OFF, without turning off the DRLs too.
Sounds good, Please keep us (me) informed.

Now on my third Vette with those stupid auto lights. I know how to turn the **** and push the button at the same tight to keep headlights off.

Its a big PITA as I start my car in a garage and do not need those expensive lights going on and off the way the idiot engineers have things set up. That and IMNSHO they come on way too soon and stay on way too long if set on automatic!
Old 05-26-2017, 04:04 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

6spdC6-
On our 2009, holding the light switch to the momentary Off position while hitting the start button would not keep the lights from coming on, we had to hit the start button and then immediately hold the light switch to Off as the engine cranked.

On our 2017, it seems that we can hold the light switch to Off before hitting the start button, and the lights stay off.

Is your experience the same?

On the C6, there was a legitimate concern about wearing out the bulbs and ballasts by having the lights come on with every indoor start. Is the C7 system basically the same, or are the bulbs/ballasts different and frequent cycling does no harm?
Enquiring minds want to know...

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 05-26-2017 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:25 PM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
6spdC6-
On our 2009, holding the light switch to the momentary Off position while hitting the start button would not keep the lights from coming on, we had to hit the start button and then immediately hold the light switch to Off as the engine cranked.

On our 2017, it seems that we can hold the light switch to Off before hitting the start button, and the lights stay off.

Is your experience the same?

On the C6, there was a legitimate concern about wearing out the bulbs and ballasts by having the lights come on with every indoor start. Is the C7 system basically the same, or are the bulbs/ballasts different and frequent cycling does no harm?
Enquiring minds want to know...
Had a 05Vert and a 07 Z06 and both started up light less, by just quickly turning the stalk thingy on and off when you hit the button.

On my 15 what works best for me is to turn the stalk thingy first and then hit the start button.

As far as burning out the rather expensive bulbs I honestly do not know on the C7 but If anything I will ASSUME that it does and start accordingly!
Old 05-26-2017, 04:31 PM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

Yes, unnecessarily cycling the HID lamps everytime the car is started in a dark garage wears out the bulb prematurely.......and you have to take the bumper cover off to change the bulb.....
Old 05-26-2017, 04:48 PM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ersatz928
Yes, unnecessarily cycling the HID lamps everytime the car is started in a dark garage wears out the bulb prematurely.......and you have to take the bumper cover off to change the bulb.....
Thanks-
Old 05-28-2017, 01:20 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,827 Posts

This is a pet peeve of mine with GM. My Audi had the option to turn the headlights off. First world problems...
Old 05-28-2017, 05:37 PM
C5_Tom
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

My C6 turned the lights on in the garage every time I started it for the ten years I had it, never had any problems with bulbs or ballasts going out. My C7 GS light sensor seems to be less sensitive than the C6 one, I still occasionally get lights on when I start the C7. Don't worry about it just enjoy the car life is too short
Old 05-28-2017, 10:02 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

One guy rigged a bright (halogen) light into the 3 minute light in his garage door opener. When he opens the garage door, the light comes on and keeps his 'vette headlights from coming on for 3 minutes, which is plenty of time to start up and back out of the garage.

(Wish I'd thought of that)

Get notified of new replies

To Defeat the Headlights?

Quick Reply: Defeat the Headlights?