Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another chrome bumper conversion...update with paint

Old 05-26-2017, 11:23 AM
mkdesign
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Another chrome bumper conversion...update with paint

Hi guys. For anybody that wanted to see the bumper conversion with some paint, here you go. I still have some more blending and some creative scuffing to take the sheen off the new parts and match the texture of the existing weathered paint. The front conversion will follow when it goes back into the garage for the winter.
I want to match the patina of the rest of the car as closely as possible until I am ready for the whole paint process, but cosmetically, for now, I am happy with the progress from its very humble beginnings last November.
Attached Images     
The following 5 users liked this post by mkdesign:
c1nicole (05-27-2017), carriljc (04-26-2020), Cliq66 (04-24-2020), MISTERZ06 (05-26-2017), OLE442 (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 11:26 AM
jr73
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 166 Posts

the 73 look.
love it
The following users liked this post:
mkdesign (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 12:14 PM
M4A3E2
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Holy crap that's amazing! If I saw that on the road I'd think that was a 73.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:17 PM
paulrichy
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Love those wheels too! Nice work.
The following 2 users liked this post by paulrichy:
MISTERZ06 (05-26-2017), mkdesign (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 01:37 PM
pmr2000
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Is it a 75/76? What year did the fender alarm start?

OP-so you are also doing the front in-time?

Looks excellent and those wheels and stance are mean!
Old 05-26-2017, 02:38 PM
Vettedreamer74
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Looks wonderful!! The whole car looks great, and I'm surprised at how much I like them! Great job!
MISTERZ06 (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 03:46 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Looks great but some thoughts.

If your going side pipes great. If not it looks a little strange without the exhaust coming straight out.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:46 PM
60 SHARK
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 496 Posts

Well done, looks like the old paint,,,,ya know, patina is very popular these days, shiny is over rated
MISTERZ06 (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 09:12 PM
mkdesign
Instructor

Originally Posted by pmr2000
Is it a 75/76? What year did the fender alarm start?

OP-so you are also doing the front in-time?

Looks excellent and those wheels and stance are mean!
Will do the front bumper conversion when it goes into the garage come November. I have quite a few hrs with the glass front bumper on it now, saving the crash bar. But for now, it's time to drive.
MISTERZ06 (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 09:31 PM
mkdesign
Instructor

Originally Posted by ddawson
Looks great but some thoughts.

If your going side pipes great. If not it looks a little strange without the exhaust coming straight out.
I would love side pipes... but I guarantee that my wife will burn her leg. And THAT kinda heat I can do without. lol.
As for the exhaust cutouts under the bumper, For me, I don't mind the clean look of it without the cutouts as I usually try to make the exhaust disappear as much as possible on my projects. Another point is the mufflers I am using (welded Thrush), that sounded so good on my fairly built small block in my Dodge truck, absolutely bark without some kind of turndowns behind them to settle the noise down. It is amazing the noise reduction with turndowns.
MISTERZ06 (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 09:43 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,726 Posts

"Outstanding......Under budget......and ahead of schedule!

Old 05-26-2017, 09:52 PM
mkdesign
Instructor

Originally Posted by 60 SHARK
Well done, looks like the old paint,,,,ya know, patina is very popular these days, shiny is over rated
Oh don't get me wrong, I like shiny. My everyday car is shiny. The patina look is by necessity, as there are few other things vying for my attention... and money. Besides, this past weekend I went to a car show and a buddy of mine was beside himself that somebody scratched his LS-powered pro touring 72 Trans Am. Trust me, with my car, I don't quite have that anxiety.
MISTERZ06 (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 10:31 PM
blue67ragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Looks great! You've done a really nice job.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:35 PM
blue67ragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Just curious as to whether you were able to use your original '75 tail lights with the new bumper?
Old 05-26-2017, 10:42 PM
mkdesign
Instructor

Originally Posted by doorgunner
"Outstanding......Under budget......and ahead of schedule!

Thanks, Doorgunner. While I don't really have a distinct budget, I am very aware of what I can comfortably spend on a toy. In the past, I have always been fully aware of money spent on my project cars and what they will ultimately sell for in case of the unexpected or expected expenses life hands you.
These lessons have stuck with me so I spend where I need to spend (yes I needed the tail section), make it safe and enjoy the crap out of it. This way I never feel upside down on a project, and maybe resent the investment of time and money.
Oh I know I'll be spending much more time as well as money on my Vette but as for a schedule? No schedule, just enjoy it for what it was always meant to be, a top-down fun machine. And I'm keeping this one!
Old 05-26-2017, 11:01 PM
mkdesign
Instructor

Originally Posted by blue67ragtop
Just curious as to whether you were able to use your original '75 tail lights with the new bumper?
I actually did reuse the stock tail lights. While Don sent deeper pockets to use the 75 tail lights, they have to be glassed in. Since I am ultimately going to use 68/73 tail light, I wanted to find a way to use my existing tail lights and leave the pockets as they are.
I ended up splitting the tail lights between the bucket and the lens (pic included) and then simply sandwiched the tail section between the lens and the cup. There is enough room to access the lights from behind. You can seal it with either a homemade gasket or silicone.
Attached Images  
The following 2 users liked this post by mkdesign:
blue67ragtop (05-27-2017), MISTERZ06 (05-29-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 07:59 AM
The Punisher
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 141 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Time to change your avatar pic. Looks very good

Get notified of new replies

To Another chrome bumper conversion...update with paint

Old 05-27-2017, 08:51 AM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,659 Likes on 1,399 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Something interesting to me, and may be applicable to what you are doing. It appears to me that rubber bumper cars have a prominent peak line running from wheel well back to the obvious peak line on the rubber bumper. Almost every car I see has a problem that the peak lines don't line up well, AND, it seems as though on the bumper itself it takes a down turn from the forward edge back to the aft edge.

Now, on chrome bumper cars, it appears that there is really no peak line from the rear wheel opening back. Its just a smooth rounded area.

So, as I see in your pictures, as well as the other thread on right now about this type conversion, the peak line of the rubber bumper cars will need to fade away onto the rear bumper add on. The other thread pictures make it very obvious.

My input here is more of an observation, but also thinking that maybe what would be best is to sand and work out that peak line aft of the wheel well to avoid that type of awkward looking transition from peak line to nothing.

Hope I wrote this in a way that makes sense for the discussion.

Last edited by Torqued Off; 05-27-2017 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:01 AM
mkdesign
Instructor

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
Something interesting to me, and may be applicable to what you are doing. It appears to me that rubber bumper cars have a prominent peak line running from wheel well back to the obvious peak line on the rubber bumper. Almost every car I see has a problem that the peak lines don't line up well, AND, it seems as though on the bumper itself it takes a down turn from the forward edge back to the aft edge.

Now, on chrome bumper cars, it appears that there is really no peak line from the rear wheel opening back. Its just a smooth rounded area.

So, as I see in your pictures, as well as the other thread on right now about this type conversion, the peak line of the rubber bumper cars will need to fade away onto the rear bumper add on. The other thread pictures make it very obvious.

My input here is more of an observation, but also thinking that maybe what would be best is to sand and work out that peak line aft of the wheel well to avoid that type of awkward looking transition from peak line to nothing.

Hope I wrote this in a way that makes sense for the discussion.
You are correct about the rear fender peak that was added to the 74/82 Vettes to accommodate the rear rubber bumper. As I may have mentioned in a previous post, Don had to make some concessions in design, but I am super happy with the overall design, quality, and ease of installation of the tail section. It is a vast improvement over the absolutely horrible '75 fiberglass tail I was previously trying to use!
That said, I quickly painted both front and back bumper covers to get me on the road, but in the future, I will message the transition points (top of the deck and the aforementioned side body line peak) either solely on the bumper or with a full on bond and blend. But trust me, these are small allowances to work in, especially considering the overall impact this conversion gave my car.
carriljc (04-26-2020)
Old 05-27-2017, 11:09 AM
mkdesign
Instructor

I should also add that if you strictly want this conversion to be a true bolt-on with no body work, and to better hide the transition point as well as the seam, you can opt for a different color tail that many people apply to their bumper cars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another chrome bumper conversion...update with paint