Sponsored by:

Suitcase rubbed into trunk.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 01:51 PM
Philatc
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suitcase rubbed into trunk.

I know exactly how this happened but I don't know how to fix it. Had the trunk packed for a road trip and my suitcase decided to rub up against the trunk lid. I'm not looking to completely do a repair. I've expected this to happen over time and want to be able to clean up the area. It would be fine if I could repaint the surface. From running a rag over the area it does feel flush. Is this repair something that can be done in my garage? Have any of you faced this kind of wear on your vettes in the past? Any and all help is appreciated.
Old 05-26-2017, 02:45 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Looks like the surface finish has been rubbed off. Only way to fix it right is to replace it. You could make it less noticeable by coloring the damaged area. Probably will not get a perfect match.
Old 05-26-2017, 02:49 PM
George Washnak
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Boy that sucks. I'd be really unhappy if that happened to me. Like Larry/car said, try paint to hide the damage first and if you can't live with the result, I don't see any option other than replacement. Sorry man, I feel your pain.
Old 05-26-2017, 02:56 PM
Philatc
3rd Gear

What type/kind of paint should I use? If I'm able to hide the blemish I can live with it.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:24 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

When Mr.owc6 tore a hole in the seat bolster of my Z06 with the buckles on his kilt, I bought a vinyl/leather repair kit from Autozone, and it worked like a charm. It truly was invisible.

The leather on the car was true black so the color match was easy, and the kit supplied a variety of texture options. I also used it to repair a leather blazer I tore , and even though it wasn't a true black, I was able to color match by blending a few of the colors in the kit, so it was invisible, too.

It's easier to use than it sounds, and is worth the ten bucks to try before buying a replacement.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:27 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Just googling around...

http://www.basspro.com/SEM-Vinyl-Coa...ductextensions
Old 05-26-2017, 03:31 PM
Philatc
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by owc6
When Mr.owc6 tore a hole in the seat bolster of my Z06 with the buckles on his kilt, I bought a vinyl/leather repair kit from Autozone, and it worked like a charm. It truly was invisible.

The leather on the car was true black so the color match was easy, and the kit supplied a variety of texture options. I also used it to repair a leather blazer I tore , and even though it wasn't a true black, I was able to color match by blending a few of the colors in the kit, so it was invisible, too.

It's easier to use than it sounds, and is worth the ten bucks to try before buying a replacement.
I suppose I could look into a fiberglass repair kit. I've thought about having a shop repair the damage. Also replacing the whole truck hatch completely,however the paint probably won't match.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:34 PM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

Stick a K&N sticker over it.
The following 2 users liked this post by vbdenny:
Philatc (05-26-2017), Scruff Vette (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 03:37 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

For now, I'd start out with a black (semi-gloss?) paint pen and see how it looks. Cheap, easy, and you can do a more extensive repair later if desired.

We have one of those fabric bumper protectors for loading/unloading luggage from the trunk. We flip it forward to cover the corners of the luggage when driving, it won't go all the way forward but still covers a lot.

Good luck, let us know what you do.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:55 PM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

I've found that flat black acrylic paint from Walmart's craft department matches pretty well, too.

It's really irritating that manufacturers use light colored plastic on interior parts that will always be painted black. Grrrrr!!
Old 05-26-2017, 04:01 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Originally Posted by WelderGuy

I've found that flat black acrylic paint from Walmart's craft department matches pretty well, too.

It's really irritating that manufacturers use light colored plastic on interior parts that will always be painted black. Grrrrr!!
I think that's a padded piece. It needs thickness and texture. It's vinyl.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:18 PM
Corvetterwb
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

Thats horrible. Hopefully you can color it to make it look better. The Sharpy may do it.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:31 PM
Jmcdude
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 512 Likes on 294 Posts

Looks like it needs to be built up a little before touching up. I'm thinking some black white-out If you're not showing the car, stick a small piece of electrical tape over it, call it a day and a keep driving it
Old 05-26-2017, 04:39 PM
rockit1
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

wrap the underside of hatch, could do it in 1080 carbon fiber and a good wrapper could make the hatch a head turner, when some thing gets damaged, I think of ways to make it even better. My Z hatch underside included some minor defects from the factory, which the dealer tried to cover up and made it worse, so also considering wrap, but your situation is much more apparent than mine, let us all know how you remedy the situation. ted
Old 05-26-2017, 04:43 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...FZG6wAodfWUOgQ

Get notified of new replies

To Suitcase rubbed into trunk.

Quick Reply: Suitcase rubbed into trunk.