C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

C7 Z06-it goes in to drive but car does not move?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 11:19 PM
Jgarcia27
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C7 Z06-it goes in to drive but car does not move?????

hello.. something just happend to me. I recentrly install headers in the z06. The thing that happen is that i took the car for the headers install and a dyno tune. The shop installs the headers the shop calls me later that the install is done buth when they were about to dyno the car at full speed when the car was going gears down a big booom was heard under the car. Now the car dose not want to go forwards nor backwards it does go in to drive but it cannot be driven. My question is why that happen?? Some people tell me is the transmission pump!!!????
Old 05-26-2017, 11:37 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Jgarcia27
hello.. something just happend to me. I recentrly install headers in the z06. The thing that happen is that i took the car for the headers install and a dyno tune. The shop installs the headers the shop calls me later that the install is done buth when they were about to dyno the car at full speed when the car was going gears down a big booom was heard under the car. Now the car dose not want to go forwards nor backwards it does go in to drive but it cannot be driven. My question is why that happen?? Some people tell me is the transmission pump!!!????
sounds like the shop f'ed up. Have them put the stock exhaust manifolds back on it, and reflash it to the stock tune and have it towed to the dealership while it's under warranty and hope and pray the dealer can't tell the car has ever had the ecm tuned or has been modified. Otherwise you will see dollars fly out your wallet like a million monarch butterflies in the fall.

Good luck.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:47 PM
LuckyC7Z06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 104 Posts

My very first time ever modding a car I asked why they dyno the car when you first bring it in. The owner of the shop told me it has as much to do with how the car responds to mods and measuring the gains as it does that your car is sound when you bring it in. If it blows first time on rollers it's your baby if it blows after they do their thing or during tuning it's theirs.
they also know pretty close to what the car should be making power wise when you bring it in and if there's a problem they address it to you.
The shop that did my ZL-1 and my Zo6 didn't want to touch it till I had at least 5k miles on Camaro and Vette. He said if things are wrong with car they usually show themselves by then.
Good luck!

Last edited by LuckyC7Z06; 05-26-2017 at 11:50 PM.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:05 AM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
sounds like the shop f'ed up. Have them put the stock exhaust manifolds back on it, and reflash it to the stock tune and have it towed to the dealership while it's under warranty and hope and pray the dealer can't tell the car has ever had the ecm tuned or has been modified. Otherwise you will see dollars fly out your wallet like a million monarch butterflies in the fall.

Good luck.
wow, way to recommend completely fradulent activity on an open forum! If the car was tuned there is no removing those fingerprints, period. Gotta pay to play and either the shop or op should be 100% liable for repairs.
The following 2 users liked this post by TXshaggy:
cvp33 (05-27-2017), moon2605 (05-27-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 01:35 AM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,580 Posts

You have voided your warranty with the tune. What ever it costs to fix is on you.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:44 AM
VegasC7Z06
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds to me something in the rear end and might not be transmission related. Good luck and sorry to hear about your car.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:06 AM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,420 Likes on 1,596 Posts

This seems to be more mechanical than tuning. The "big booom" gave it away. GL getting it resolved.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:50 AM
Jgarcia27
Navigator

One thing is that the shop not even got the car tune is still in its original calibrations i just got the headers on and msd wires. I did some searhing and some people have told me that is the pump of the transmission and the transmission shut itself down to do no harm to the car. Right now is at the dealership but it will not get service until tusday. Dammm i miss my car
Old 05-27-2017, 09:57 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
wow, way to recommend completely fradulent activity on an open forum! If the car was tuned there is no removing those fingerprints, period. Gotta pay to play and either the shop or op should be 100% liable for repairs.
Well aren't you reacting like little miss "Polly Anna" . Personally I would never tune one of these cars. not worth the risk of catastrophic failure while under warranty. It's only fraud if the dealer asks the op if the car was tuned and relfashed back to stock and the op says "no". If they don't ask then it's not. Same as if a dealer knows about a malfunction that's covered under warranty and charges you for the repair and you don't know enough to ask. For example my dad's Malibu was just out of bumper to bumper warranty and the thermostat failed. The dealer was going to charge him and he knew enough to pull out the warranty booklet and show them the thermostat and thermostat housing is covered under the 5 year 60k power train warranty. If he didn't ask the dealer --- is that dealer committing fraud? ---no. Same with the op in this case. If the dealer doesn't ask is he going to say well maybe you shouldn't repair the car under warranty because I tuned it.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 05-27-2017 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:15 AM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

I hope he had the car put back to stock, it not GM may still void his warranty. I hope they don't void if he brought it in with the headers still on.

OP keep us posted.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 05-27-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:30 PM
Jgarcia27
Navigator

Yes guys thank you. I spoke to the manager in service and he told me that as long as the car is not tune my warranty still valid.. dont matter if it has the headers
Old 05-27-2017, 12:42 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by Jgarcia27
Yes guys thank you. I spoke to the manager in service and he told me that as long as the car is not tune my warranty still valid.. dont matter if it has the headers
Whew!
Old 05-27-2017, 02:25 PM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
Well aren't you reacting like little miss "Polly Anna" . Personally I would never tune one of these cars. not worth the risk of catastrophic failure while under warranty. It's only fraud if the dealer asks the op if the car was tuned and relfashed back to stock and the op says "no". If they don't ask then it's not. Same as if a dealer knows about a malfunction that's covered under warranty and charges you for the repair and you don't know enough to ask. For example my dad's Malibu was just out of bumper to bumper warranty and the thermostat failed. The dealer was going to charge him and he knew enough to pull out the warranty booklet and show them the thermostat and thermostat housing is covered under the 5 year 60k power train warranty. If he didn't ask the dealer --- is that dealer committing fraud? ---no. Same with the op in this case. If the dealer doesn't ask is he going to say well maybe you shouldn't repair the car under warranty because I tuned it.
not sure you understand the use of pollyanna, regardless I understand your low moral bar is typical now days. Per your logic he could also say he didn't tune it either--because the shop did it! Why reflash unless the intent to deceive?
Old 05-27-2017, 03:02 PM
2fastnow
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

What you can do AFTER you bring it back to stock tune is run the accessories till the battery dies...that will show the code they watch for when sniffing for ECM tampering the rest I can't remember...I think then you tow it in.
Old 05-27-2017, 03:11 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Running the battery down won't do anything to mask the fingerprint left from flashing the current generation of ECM, PCM, and TCM from GM (and presumably others). Powertrain group will request snapshot data when there is a major powertrain failure during warranty so it isn't the dealer that has to be fooled.
Old 05-27-2017, 03:17 PM
2fastnow
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NSC5
Running the battery down won't do anything to mask the fingerprint left from flashing the current generation of ECM, PCM, and TCM from GM (and presumably others). Powertrain group will request snapshot data when there is a major powertrain failure during warranty so it isn't the dealer that has to be fooled.
I hope you only mean GM cause I haven't done anything yet with this one. My others cars (brands) I hope they can't tell.
Old 05-27-2017, 03:21 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

How many times do we have threads like this?
I've lost count.

For SOME reason it just never sinks in...
IF YOU MOD YOUR CAR, THE THING MIGHT BREAK.
That is it, that is all there is to it.
Come on, guys; you all know the score.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Z06-it goes in to drive but car does not move?????

Old 05-27-2017, 03:25 PM
2fastnow
Burning Brakes

That's what I say and you can always torch it too.
Old 05-27-2017, 03:39 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
not sure you understand the use of pollyanna, regardless I understand your low moral bar is typical now days. Per your logic he could also say he didn't tune it either--because the shop did it! Why reflash unless the intent to deceive?
the op's car most likely would have had a failure regardless of whether or not it was tuned. The dealer/manufacturer will use any excuse to get out of paying for the repair and putting the burden on the owner. It's their business. If you don't think that is the case then you are "Polly Anna "

same me as an insurance company. Their business is not to pay claims, their business is to collect money and to figure out how not to pay valid claims in the fine print of your contract with them.

Everything is open to interpretation and it has nothing to do with morals. It has to do with the "rule of the reasonable person" as any residing judge of a high court will state.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 05-27-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:12 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fastnow
I hope you only mean GM cause I haven't done anything yet with this one. My others cars (brands) I hope they can't tell.
If they are recent they probably can. This started to become a significant warranty issue several years ago so all of the manufacturers have stepped up their game to make it far more difficult to change the programming without leaving a trail.

Although it was an issue for a number of years the manufacturers really woke up to the problem when simple changes allowed huge power increases in the new line of direct injected diesel pickups with subsequent powertrain warranty claims against the manufacturer. GM at one time provided photos of what the piston face looked like on a normal diesel pickup engine and one that had been tuned and the star or "flower petal" pattern was markedly different between the two providing clear evidence of increased fueling beyond stock. But the controllers themselves are now the key means for finding when changes have been made.

Once the cost factor from warranty claims grew large enough manufacturers became highly motivated to respond.

Quick Reply: C7 Z06-it goes in to drive but car does not move?????