C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spreader bar questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 08:07 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

Default Spreader bar questions

Who has one with gm serpentine belt setup and what brand is it?
Old 05-28-2017, 11:48 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 519 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by Kacyc3
made my own. Most don't clear properly unless you purchase a un-welded version so you can adjust as required.

After installing to tell the truth it really didn't make much difference. There were times when I loosened the bar while making alignment adjustments and forgot to tighten the bar. I could never tell it wasn't connected. Drove for a few weeks and never noticed.

Were I was hoping to notice the most improvement was at the track, but sadly for my car (78) it really didn't make any changes.

I am using the complete VB&P street and slalom setup with poly bushings everywhere. SPC Upper control arms. Poly engine mount on the driver side with rubber on the passenger side.

Last edited by cagotzmann; 05-28-2017 at 11:56 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:24 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

IF you don't notice much difference from a properly installed spreader bar, I suggest you put on decent wheels/tires....I noted the entire front end tightened up a LOT when it was added, now of course I have rack steering, and larger tires 255/50/17 in front 275/50/17 rear, plastic spring in rear, urethane all over,

The following users liked this post:
SteveG75 (05-31-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 07:05 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvette
IF you don't notice much difference from a properly installed spreader bar, I suggest you put on decent wheels/tires....I noted the entire front end tightened up a LOT when it was added, now of course I have rack steering, and larger tires 255/50/17 in front 275/50/17 rear, plastic spring in rear, urethane all over,

I noticed an immediate difference as soon as I installed my Speedirect spreader after the installation as soon as I pulled out of the driveway!

The whole front end felt more connected together and to the rear suspension, noticeable reduction in squeaks in the cabin, tighter steering response, and more predictable handling....the car simply goes where it is pointed.

If you cannot feel the difference with the spreader bar connected, something is not right, especially with a body on frame chassis like in the C3's which is know to flex MUCH on it own without a spreader bar since the actual fiberglass body adds no structural support to prevent the frame from flexing.

I too have poly everywhere with a modified suspension on my C3 and the spreader bar makes a noticeable difference:

Front:

Speedirect spreader bar
Custom blueprinted/rebuilt OEM steering box with Olite steering shaft bushing eliminating all steering play
Poly upper and lower control arm bushings
550 springs 1.5 inch shorter than stock gymkhana springs
OEM 1 1/8 front sway bar with poly mounting and endlink bushings
Bilstein HD's with poly bushings
255/45/17 ZR ultra high performance summer only tires

Rear:

360 VBP composite monospring with poly end cushings
Competition adjustable struts with Heim joints..no bushings
GM Style 3/4 inch rear sway bar with poly mounting bushings
Bilstein Sports
255/50/17 ZR ultra high performance summer only tires

I had the L-82 355 out yesterday, and between the 425+ Gross HP rebuilt/upgraded engine, superb handling, and incredibly comfortable ride (firm but not at all harsh), the car is simply a blast to drive and so different from what it was when brand new BUT still so much a C3 corvette with better/upgraded components throughout without loosing the C3 basic design and feel..Just need a 5 speed with .64 OD and it would be almost perfect....

Lastly, I also have strut tower braces on 2 of my more modern cars which are unibody frames and much stiffer than the C3 chassis and both have strut tower braces on them. You can also feel the difference the bracing makes on these cars

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix FWD with BOTH front and rear strut tower braces

2008 Chrysler 300 with a VERY HEAVY duty 3 inch front strut tower brace that bolts over the struts curves to the back of the engine where it is bolted to the factory firewall brace and over to the other strut tower. This frame brace made a HUGH difference in the steering response, stiffened the ride, tightened the chassis, improved the solidness of the handling,...worth all of the $450 that it cost from Mopar...

Unless you are driving a roll cage racing type chassis/frame car, I find it hard to believe that a Spreader bar connecting the front suspension together would not be felt noticeably on a C3. As stated above, I have never had the experience of tightening up the frame/chassis where the result is not very noticeable...........

Last edited by jb78L-82; 05-29-2017 at 07:10 AM.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:25 PM
sunflower 1972
Drifting

Received 537 Likes on 363 Posts

Completely stock suspension. I noticed a difference immediately. Car seemed to "track better", if that makes any sense.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:18 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mrvette
I suggest you put on decent wheels/tires
Would Michelin Pilot Super sports 245 45 R 18 be decent wheels / tires ?
Old 05-29-2017, 08:25 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by cagotzmann
Would Michelin Pilot Super sports 245 45 R 18 be decent wheels / tires ?

LOL...those tires are simply the best.....tires are certainly not the issue
Old 05-29-2017, 08:28 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

What about measurements between control arm mounts? I want to make sure mine are correct.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:41 PM
silvvette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone on the forum making spreader bars to sell? The vendors make nice bars, but seem pricy. IM or post reply
Old 05-29-2017, 08:48 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jb78L-82
noticeable reduction in squeaks in the cabin, tighter steering response, and more predictable handling....the car simply goes where it is pointed.
I understand what you are saying, but until you do a blind test you won't really now how your mind is playing with you. We all believe everything thing we do is for the better. So therefor if we add something to our car it is always for the better.

I remember someone on the forum removing 1 side of the spreader bar and had a video of the movement. Their wasn't enough movement to effect the alignment of the car and therefor have any effect on tighter steering response, predictable handling or simply goes where it is pointed. This is very subjective.

Here is what I would look for. Changes in camber / caster / toe during corner entry / apex / corner exit with and without the spreader bar. etc. I don't have anything to measure this. The best I can do is measure G's and speeds. G's is the limit of the tires and alignment settings so I am not sure I can measure the difference.

But on the good side for installing one. It does support the frame for problems of cracking / breaking welds / and supporting the frame. It will also improve in rattles / squeaks when 1 tire hits a bump / pot hole.

Is there a good reason not to have one. Yes if it cost $1000+.
Because it is cheap to install and helps save the frame and can reduce rattles and squeaks its well worth it.

Knowing that your car doesn't rattle like a old clunker makes people feel it handles better which is subjective at best.

The biggest benefit for the street car is in body flexing which produces car noises, but for handling driving around a corner and 10-20 MPH I don't get it.

So the question is if a spreader bar cost $1000.00 how many people would do it, and still say WOW the best mod I ever done.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:02 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

What about measurements between control arm mounts? I want to make sure mine are correct.
What I did was make the brackets for the control arms first. Install the hemi joints and measure the difference for your car.

The mock up brackets where made from Styrofoam and I used a wooden dowel to simulate the bar.

Every car will vary based on the frame stability / age.

I allowed enough adjustment for 3/4" both sides to allow for camber / alignment changes. I also wanted to make sure that a least 1/2" of thread was always in the bar of the hemi joints. I believe the hemi joints have about 1.25" of threads total.

You will also need to loosen the bar every time you need change the alignment for camber caster as the bar will restrict movement of the upper arms.

Also make sure you can get a socket / wrench on the control arms and allow you to tighen / loosen the bolt, or you will never be able to tighten to spec's

The bar itself I had a machine shop make the threads for the hemi joint ends. The bar is aluminum and 1 side is left hand thread and the other side right hand thread.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:07 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Really easy to make your own-

I used a Panhard bar from Speedway motors - on their 'Garage sale"- like $50.

Some angle iron, some bolts and a can of spray paint-

Distance should be 26 3/8"

Old 05-29-2017, 11:20 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

What I did was make the brackets for the control arms first. Install the hemi joints and measure the difference for your car.

The mock up brackets where made from Styrofoam and I used a wooden dowel to simulate the bar.

Every car will vary based on the frame stability / age.

I allowed enough adjustment for 3/4" both sides to allow for camber / alignment changes. I also wanted to make sure that a least 1/2" of thread was always in the bar of the hemi joints. I believe the hemi joints have about 1.25" of threads total.

You will also need to loosen the bar every time you need change the alignment for camber caster as the bar will restrict movement of the upper arms.

Also make sure you can get a socket / wrench on the control arms and allow you to tighen / loosen the bolt, or you will never be able to tighten to spec's

The bar itself I had a machine shop make the threads for the hemi joint ends. The bar is aluminum and 1 side is left hand thread and the other side right hand thread.

I had an alignment done before and the set the caster and camber as good as they could due to lack of shims in the car. I have since lowered it, added global west upper arms and know it will need a bar to gain the camber back it should have.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:29 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

If you make your own the measurement will vary. With my setup the bar is 19", but a someone else shows his setup its not the same. So start with the brackets add the joints and then measure to fit.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:51 PM
bluegtp
Drifting

Received 287 Likes on 128 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I have/had a late 80s/early 90s fbody serpentine setup and using vb&p spreader bar with ford focus electric fans. Plenty of room.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:17 AM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Iknow it will need a bar to gain the camber back it should have.
Not sure how the bar helps this. The bar is not used to widen the a-arms or fix a sagging frame. It is only there to support the current dimension from further sagging and flexing. If you cannot get enough caster the new arms will help some. If you cannot get the proper camber on the front (Near 0) then you have a frame problem that the bar will not fix.

What was the best camber they could get ?

I have SPC Upper arms which let you adjust for both camber and caster. My arms are set with 0 shims to provide 0 camber with 4.4 caster. When I go to the track I add 2 shims to get 1.3 camber up front. and adjust toe as required. Adding camber changes toe settings.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:36 AM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Not sure how the bar helps this. The bar is not used to widen the a-arms or fix a sagging frame. It is only there to support the current dimension from further sagging and flexing. If you cannot get enough caster the new arms will help some. If you cannot get the proper camber on the front (Near 0) then you have a frame problem that the bar will not fix.

What was the best camber they could get ?

I have SPC Upper arms which let you adjust for both camber and caster. My arms are set with 0 shims to provide 0 camber with 4.4 caster. When I go to the track I add 2 shims to get 1.3 camber up front. and adjust toe as required. Adding camber changes toe settings.
I was using a setup I wasnt famailar with so not sure I set it up correctly but it showed -3.5* LF and -1.4 RF Camber, 3.0 LF and 4.4 RF Camber, toe .05 LF and .04 RF. The car is stable in flat straight road, crowns and change in pavement lines make it interesting and "darty" or "twitchy".

Get notified of new replies

To Spreader bar questions

Old 05-30-2017, 10:49 AM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

The op may not have noticed a big difference because of his urethane motor mounts.those should help tighten up the front end a bit too.
but blind test or not I contend anyone blind or not could feel the difference going out my driveway.I expected to drive the car a couple weeks and think yeah maybe it helped,but it was noticible instantly.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:29 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,674 Likes on 1,409 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Mr. Cagotzman is suggesting that anyone who has installed a spreader bar and says it made a difference is imagining it. I disagree. I put it on, it made a difference.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:09 AM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
Mr. Cagotzman is suggesting that anyone who has installed a spreader bar and says it made a difference is imagining it. I disagree. I put it on, it made a difference.
No I am suggesting that what you perceive as making a difference is simply a reduction in rattle / noises / firmness in the frame, and not a handling improvement.

It is simply based on the bar doesn't effect any major changes to the alignment stability on the street and therefor effect the handling.

Never said it didn't do anything at all, but claims of improved handling while cornering / response on turn in etc, etc, on the street it is nothing more than the extra confidence you may have and driving a corner faster than you would normally. This alone gives you a extra rush that makes you feel good.

Now driving on a road course with super sticky tires at the limit of the tires, you will have a better chance at holding the alignment in the corners with a bar vs without one.

eg at my local track I get a max of ~ 1.15 g's in some corners. Not a chance I would attempt this on any street road. So for me its hard to get the WOW factor on the street.

The best benefit of the bar is the reduce body flexing / rattles / noises this doesn't give you confidence when your car rattles. With the bar installed and the noises reduced it just feels better to the ears and mind.

The blind test would show what our mind imagines and what is real. I would bet most wouldn't tell the difference in other than noise alone. And on a smooth road would never tell the difference with or without one.

It is still worth installing because the benefit vs cost is great. I have never heard anyone be disappointed installing one. If it makes you feel better about your car, its worth it.

Quick Reply: Spreader bar questions