C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck in Park

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 10:14 AM
Slick Rick
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Stuck in Park

Dam cant Chevy get anything right. Went to go to store yesterday and dam gearshift stuck in park. Tried to un jam it the way the owners manual said to do it, still stuck in park. Got pissed and banged the console a couple times and all of a sudden it shifts into reverse. Been back in about 5 times and hasnt stuck again. So after hrs of reading forum posts the only way to make it right is to do it wrong. Appears to still be a problem as my buddys 2015 has also done it. Only real fix is a new shifter that will do it again, quite an option. Chevy needs to do something and step up to the plate. Our taxes bailed them out and kept them in business, be nice if they woud do a recall and fix the problem. They kinda did it for the C5 steering lock problem, all tho that fix wasnt 100% either....
Old 05-29-2017, 11:08 AM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

You sure didn't look very hard. Search stuck in park or shifter pawl. It is a little piece of plastic under the console. Break it off or tie it back and you will never have this problem again. Take seconds after you have the console cover off and it is free. There are dozens of threads on here about it. Probably more. Easy fix.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:03 PM
Slick Rick
Pro

Originally Posted by HBsurfer
You sure didn't look very hard. Search stuck in park or shifter pawl. It is a little piece of plastic under the console. Break it off or tie it back and you will never have this problem again. Take seconds after you have the console cover off and it is free. There are dozens of threads on here about it. Probably more. Easy fix.
Oh I read them all,thats what Im saying. Instead of gm stepping up and doing whatever it takes to make it right, were tearing apart are cars and mickey mousing **** to make it work. Ive been working on cars for 45 yrs not a problem to mickey mouse it. What Im saying is, it isn't right. And even worse its unsafe. Not by my standards but by federal DOT standards. If all of us would have complained to the NHTSA instead of mickey mousing it ourselves there might have been a real fix buy now that still would have been free and safe. Sad thing is only a total of 65 people have complained about the problem. Ive read over 200 problems with the forum members alone.This is still a problem with C7s. Its not fixed not going to get fixed unless we bitch about it.......
Old 05-29-2017, 01:39 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

^^^ Unfortunately GM has a long history of not addressing known issues. Think harmonic balancer, dropped clutches, LS7 heads, shifter stuck in park, dated technology, and so on. Especially with the Corvettes, which usually enjoy a long run (C6 from 2005-13), GM had plenty of time and opportunity to address and improve many of the issues that concern frustrated owners. You would think that a 2012-13 Corvette would be bulletproof as far as reliability, but instead they suffer from much of the same issues as the earlier ones as GM, more often than not, chooses to do nothing. My Vette is a 2012 with low miles so I haven't had to experience any of the above issues yet, but GM's overall reluctance to address known issues and build a better product does leave you somewhat disappointed.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:06 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

It is not just GM. Toyota, Subaru and BMW are now stating that on some models, burning a quart of oil every 1,000 miles is normal. That means 8 quarts of oil are required for every 5,000 mile oil change, and even then you will be a quart low when you do the oil change. Crazy. And this note is actually in the owners manual. If you have a late model Camry or Outback, take a look. Anyway, those of you who think GM is the only manufacturer hiding from design errors must have blinders on. They all do it.

Last edited by HBsurfer; 05-29-2017 at 03:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Sunnyvale Dave (05-29-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 03:39 PM
Sunnyvale Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'19

It is not just GM. Toyota, Subaru and BMW are now stating that on some models, burning a quart of oil every 1,000 miles is normal. That means 8 quarts of oil are required for every 5,000 mile oil change, and even then you will be a quart low when you do the oil change. Crazy. And this note is actually in the owners manual. If you have a late model Camry or Outback, take a look. Anyway, those of you who think GM is the only manufacturer hiding from design errors must have blinders on. They all do it.
I have to agree with you. It is not just GM. I had the stuck on park problem, my driver's side fuel tank cracked and the fuel module cracked. GM wouldn't do a thing to help out. Then I read about the class action lawsuit against Subaru over oil consumption. I don't think the other car companies are much better.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:52 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

We were discussing GM specifically, and I didn't mean to imply that other manufacturers don't have their faults. But the argument that others have done it so that makes it ok, doesn't fly either. I currently own 3 American cars/trucks and I usually try to buy American brands, but they all have a long history of digging their own graves with missteps and complacency which has opened the door for bankruptcies and for foreign competitors to grow and grab market share. I'm not here to bash American cars but to only expect them to learn from their mistakes and hold a higher standard than they have historically.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:14 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Maybe folks would be happier if nothing ever went wrong with the Vette until they hit 125,000 miles, then completely died. Some cars do that, and I don't buy 'em.

Yes, GM should take care of certain things, but they don't. It is the buyer's responsibility, regardless of make, to avail themselves of the simple-to-find info regarding vehicle reliability, problems, and manufacturer shortcomings. I researched the C6 for nearly 18 months before I bought, and I have not been surprised or disappointed by anything...HB issue, clunks in rear, noisy targa top, somewhat cheap interior, etc., and have 102,000 miles on my '08.

I don't mean to be harsh, but if you don't do the research, then are surprised by things which are well-known and documented, I can't muster up a lot of emotion for the problems.

On the plus side...250,000 miles without engine or trans. work is not unusual...I will take that all year long...
Old 05-29-2017, 04:25 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
Maybe folks would be happier if nothing ever went wrong with the Vette until they hit 125,000 miles, then completely died. Some cars do that, and I don't buy 'em.

Yes, GM should take care of certain things, but they don't. It is the buyer's responsibility, regardless of make, to avail themselves of the simple-to-find info regarding vehicle reliability, problems, and manufacturer shortcomings. I researched the C6 for nearly 18 months before I bought, and I have not been surprised or disappointed by anything...HB issue, clunks in rear, noisy targa top, somewhat cheap interior, etc., and have 102,000 miles on my '08.

I don't mean to be harsh, but if you don't do the research, then are surprised by things which are well-known and documented, I can't muster up a lot of emotion for the problems.

On the plus side...250,000 miles without engine or trans. work is not unusual...I will take that all year long...

Replaced my balancer, shift cable, tied back the shifter pawl, fixed my noisy roof, put the proper oil in the diff and set my alignment to PFAT street specs, all from info I read here. No surprises at all with my C6. I don't expect my car to be perfect, but with a little research and garage time, it is pretty close.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:31 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

^^^ To HBsurfer and Buckmeister2, I know what you mean but at the same time that's not a glowing endorsement when you have had to fix all these things on your own. I don't expect the car to be perfect, but some of these things would of been relatively easy for the manufacturer to address between model years, and that's the part that's disappointing. Not only for the sake of saving the consumer from having to carry the burden, but also to protect and improve their own image with consumers and an American brand.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:43 PM
Slick Rick
Pro

Dont get me wrong I still enjoy my vette. But heres what I have to compare it to. A 2000 Toyota Tacoma bought new. Now has 247,000 miles, original rear brake shoes, clutch, diff fluid, tranny fluid, and coolant. Only things ever changed, oil, air cleaner, plugs, front brake rotors and pads 2 days ago, and tires. Its driven 65 miles everyday back and forth to work in California commute traffic...... First year Toyota Tacomas were made in America (Nummi) in Fremont. This is why the American car companies have such a hard time competing.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:54 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Default Quality....

It was not to long ago when GM sold more cars annually than ANYONE. Times have changed. Maybe if GM accepted responsibility and fixed these known issues aggressively (on all their cars), the buying public would make them #1 again. Even if they charged a little more for their cars, quality speaks volumes when someone is making a major purchase. If you purchase a car knowing the factory will fix a problem that is determined to be a fleet issue after the car is out of warranty, sales would increase. And the reputation for the manufacturer would skyrocket. Yes it would cost them $$$$ to do this but they are also gonna make $$$$ selling more cars. Sounds great but will probably NEVER happen.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:04 PM
Slick Rick
Pro

Originally Posted by Vet Interested
It was not to long ago when GM sold more cars annually than ANYONE. Times have changed. Maybe if GM accepted responsibility and fixed these known issues aggressively (on all their cars), the buying public would make them #1 again. Even if they charged a little more for their cars, quality speaks volumes when someone is making a major purchase. If you purchase a car knowing the factory will fix a problem that is determined to be a fleet issue after the car is out of warranty, sales would increase. And the reputation for the manufacturer would skyrocket. Yes it would cost them $$$$ to do this but they are also gonna make $$$$ selling more cars. Sounds great but will probably NEVER happen.
You are 100% right and I totally agree.....

Get notified of new replies

To Stuck in Park

Quick Reply: Stuck in Park