Sponsored by:

low oil pressure warning

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 11:55 AM
Prtc5Vett
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default low oil pressure warning

What did anyone find out about the "low oil pressure warning"? I am having the problem and I have changed out my oil sending unit 2 years ago. I have been reading posts about this issue but no one ever comes back with what the problem turned out to be. I have been looking through this forum for answers and almost everyone says they will try something but never comes back with what fixed problem.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:44 PM
Prtc5Vett
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
How do you know in fact that it is NOT low oil pressure??

Have you connected up a mechanical gauge to check??
NO, did not do that yet, I did change the oil and filter the oil to see if there were any metal shavings in it and there was nothing. I do not hear any noise coming from the engine. I have replaced the oil sending unit 2 years ago. Bought a new one just in case.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:57 PM
stingray76l82
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Prtc5Vett
NO, did not do that yet, I did change the oil and filter the oil to see if there were any metal shavings in it and there was nothing. I do not hear any noise coming from the engine. I have replaced the oil sending unit 2 years ago. Bought a new one just in case.
Not unheard of that these parts fail. Depends on where it's made. JMO.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:26 PM
Ducati Guy
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Oil pump?
Old 06-19-2017, 09:21 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

When I bout my 2000 in 2002, I went to a Corvette event and when I went to start my car, I noticed the oil pressure was 0. Since I was there with some club members, 2 were GM engineers, they said to not drive it. My son-in-law had his trailer at the event so we loaded and dropped off at the dealer. One of the engineers emailed me about LS1 issues with some oil pump problems--silent recall. Gave the info to the dealer and everything in the oiling system was replaced under warranty. Yes there were some bad oil pumps/pick ups on the LS1 motors.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:26 AM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

I had several oil pressure sending units fail in a row over a two-year period.......until I finally relocated the OP sensor. No failures since. But usually, when the OP sensors fail they tend to show excessive high pressure rather than low.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:59 AM
Furiousone
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is it going down out of nowhere and coming back up immediately or going down and staying down?
Old 06-19-2017, 06:07 PM
Mistrezz 06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 179 Likes on 140 Posts

I was having the same issue, changed the sending unit did the mechanical reading couldn't find the darn issue. Decided not to risk it and changed the oil pump for an aftermarket one and while there did the balancer and new belt, I also took the oil pan out and checked the pickup tube just for the heck of it.

Problem solved... Good luck.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:56 PM
Prtc5Vett
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Furiousone
Is it going down out of nowhere and coming back up immediately or going down and staying down?
It is fine, goes up to 50 but then hovers around 40 at lights then at 45mph will go back to 50 then next light may drop to 30, goes to 40 at 45mph may go down some then back up to 40 and next light drop to 0. After light may go back to 40 and drop to 0 again at next light.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:02 PM
Prtc5Vett
Intermediate

Default Think I found a Fix

I can't believe it, looks like it was the OSU.......AGAIN...... I changed it just as a last test before I was to began taring the motor down to change the oil pump....Dealer wanted $2000. I am so glad I used the cut method to replace it the first time, I could not imagine having to take off the manifold twice to replace this thing that could fail multiple times.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:29 PM
001pewter
Race Director

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts
St.. Jude Donor '17-'18

I can't believe it, looks like it was the OSU.......AGAIN...... I changed it just as a last test before I was to began taring the motor down to change the oil pump....Dealer wanted $2000. I am so glad I used the cut method to replace it the first time, I could not imagine having to take off the manifold twice to replace this thing that could fail multiple times.
You could've got it out without cutting or pulling the manifold.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:29 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Just relocate the OPS and your failures will likely disappear.
I had three brass OPS replacements die in a row over the period of a several months.
Once I relocated the OPS to along the fuel lines under the coil cover there were no additional failures.

Lots of how to relocate threads here.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:53 PM
'Shifter
Thoroughly chapped
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 409 Likes on 327 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
NCM Member '09

The oil pump o-ring is known to be a regular fail on LS motors...
Old 07-21-2017, 10:50 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Hopefully that was in fact the problem and you now have it fixed.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:38 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Knock on wood, I still have the the original OPS in my 04 with 66k on the clock. No issues, no leaks........

I probably just jinks myself by saying this....
Old 07-22-2017, 12:39 PM
Omaha Flash
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

What did anyone find out about the "low oil pressure warning"? I am having the problem and I have changed out my oil sending unit 2 years ago. I have been reading posts about this issue but no one ever comes back with what the problem turned out to be. I have been looking through this forum for answers and almost everyone says they will try something but never comes back with what fixed problem.
About 20 years ago I read an article in one of the hot rod magazines that I subscribed to at the time and the subject was how we tend to assume the worst and over analyze the problems we have with our cars from time to time. The short version of the article was, most of the time the solution is a simple one. I have tried to remember that but most recently I found myself in that very position when I was trying to find an oil leak that developed in my '01 convertible. I have a hoist and after raising the car and searching for some time wasn't able to find the source of the leak. I was convinced it was a pan gasket leak after ruling out an oil pressure sending unit because it had been replaced last year. I tightened all the bolts on the pan and still had the drip and the leak seemed to be coming from high on the back of the engine and still thinking the worst thought maybe the intake manifold could be the problem. After 2 attempts of looking around the back side of the engine with a remote camera I finally seen the oil pressure sending unit leaking slightly. I changed the sending unit and problem solved. In my opinion if I was you I would replace the sending unit and see what happens. The LS engines are well built and not noted for sudden oil pressure problems (I know, anything can happen) but the odds are it's a sender if no problems were known to exist in the past with this vehicle. The sending units are known for failure (as I should have remembered) and I would try replacing that before changing out a lot of parts. If you are able to install a mechanical gauge to verify this all the better, but that will require some doing. Just my opinion. Good luck.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:20 PM
Prtc5Vett
Intermediate

IF this thing fails again I will do the relocation. I was wondering if this is a issue with putting car away over the winter and not starting it? Before I got my battery tender, I used to just disconnect the battery and every now an then connect it and start the car to let it run in my garage, and back then I did not have this problem. The first year I put on tender, I did not start the car over winter and this is when the first sending unit went out.

Get notified of new replies

To low oil pressure warning

Old 10-23-2017, 04:41 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

IF this thing fails again I will do the relocation. I was wondering if this is a issue with putting car away over the winter and not starting it?.
I don't think so.
I drive my Vettes all year long except in snow or ice and I had three OPS fail in a row
Until I relocated my OPS........since then 0 failures. thumbs:

Last edited by jrprich; 10-23-2017 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:55 AM
lonerider2002
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

My Delco OPS that I installed (via the cutting the cowl method) just tanked on me the other day. The first time I had to replace it the gauge was pegged at 80 so I pretty much knew what it was. This time it bounced around some before dropping to zero(twice) which freaked me out thinking the oil pump had bit the dust. I didn't hear anything out of the ordinary and the engine temp didn't rise so I limped it home and ordered a Standard Products OPS from Rockauto. The first one I replaced was brass so I knew it wasn't stock and thinking that OEM would be better I went w/the Delco. That lasted about 2 years before going south. The one from RA showed to be brass on the website but was alum when it arrived. It does however have a beefier body to it than the Delco so MAYBE it will last a little longer. I can now change it out in about 30 mins with the access in the cowl. It takes about 15 mins just to remove the Gorilla duct tape that I use to close the opening.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:19 PM
Blue Blood
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 59 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13, '15,'21

Originally Posted by jrprich
I don't think so.
I drive my Vettes all year long except in snow or ice and I had three OPS fail in a row
Until I relocated my OPS........since then 0 failures. thumbs:
How did you relocate the sensor? I recall a forum vendor used to sell a block for the oil filter that provided a mounting point for this, but I can’t find now.

Thanks! Clint

Quick Reply: low oil pressure warning