C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reduced Engine Power warning at track

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 09:51 AM
goshendad
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Reduced Engine Power warning at track

Hit Pocono yesterday with my 2017 Z06 with 1500 miles on it. Did everything by the book with the car. Going down the front straight i hit 167 mph and the Check Engine light came on with the warning "Reduced Engine Power." My day was over. The car is bone stock. I had an issue with my 2016 Z06 with a bad module causing the rear axle to shut down that took GM 3 months to find. They think they "fixed" it but i didnt feel 100% confident so i filed and GM did a buyback. That was 6 months of hell but i love the Corvette so i kapt my confidence in them and handed the money right back to GM by ordering a new Z06. What the hell is wrong? My guess is that the car is tuned too lean but i am not screwing with it. The car is advertised as capable of max speed of 195 mph. That is why i spent $95,000! I am contacting the dealer today to schedule a Service appt to check the code and fix the damn car. 1 track day ruined. only 4 left on a Super Speedway where i can hit those kind of speeds. i will not keep the car unless they fix it under WARRANTY. Anyone with this issue that had it resolved as STOCK??
The following users liked this post:
Texan79423 (08-04-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 10:26 AM
LoganExplosion
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 112 Posts

Wow. Rare issue... Haven't seen this before. It got too hot??
Old 06-22-2017, 10:34 AM
goshendad
Racer

Originally Posted by LoganExplosion
NO not at all. It happened on the first hard lap during second session after a 15 minute break. Coolant was 216, oil 248, transmission 199. I believe the car is tuned too lean but GM has to fix it.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:53 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Check with RIKHEK. I think he was chasing an issue that sounded VERY similar to me. Threw a code up around 165mph, I believe. Started out thinking it was a MAF issue of some kind, but I don't know what the resolution was.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:55 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by LoganExplosion
Not that rare. I as well as forum member "Khalid" are having the exact same issue and GM isn't concerned about fixing. I wouldn't be surprised if all, or nearly all 2017 cars have the issue/bug/gremlin, however, very few drive the car this fast to experience it...

I can pretty much guarantee it will be a P0106 MAP code. Too bad you didn't have a OBD II/CAN reader as you could have just cleared it and finished out your day. No harm is done to the car and it runs great once the code is cleared until you hit 167 mph again.

I keep an OBD II/CAN reader in my glove box at all times. Very handy. I bought mine at Harbor Freight for around $30. These cars throw a lot of codes when pushed hard and clearing them resolves most issues. or at least saves your day or gets you home.

Here's my detailed write-up to which GM has been unresponsive and has not resolved:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-thoughts.html

Last edited by rikhek; 06-22-2017 at 11:59 AM.
DebRedZR1 (07-06-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 11:57 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by goshendad
NO not at all. It happened on the first hard lap during second session after a 15 minute break. Coolant was 216, oil 248, transmission 199. I believe the car is tuned too lean but GM has to fix it.
To lean are with something other than it being lean in the tune. Robert
Old 06-22-2017, 12:03 PM
goshendad
Racer

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Check with RIKHEK. I think he was chasing an issue that sounded VERY similar to me. Threw a code up around 165mph, I believe. Started out thinking it was a MAF issue of some kind, but I don't know what the resolution was.
Talking to him now thanks.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:05 PM
goshendad
Racer

Originally Posted by robert miller
To lean are with something other than it being lean in the tune. Robert
???
Old 06-22-2017, 12:11 PM
goshendad
Racer

Originally Posted by rikhek
Not that rare. I as well as forum member "Khalid" are having the exact same issue and GM isn't concerned about fixing. I wouldn't be surprised if all, or nearly all 2017 cars have the issue/bug/gremlin, however, very few drive the car this fast to experience it...

I can pretty much guarantee it will be a P0106 MAP code. Too bad you didn't have a OBD II/CAN reader as you could have just cleared it and finished out your day. No harm is done to the car and it runs great once the code is cleared until you hit 167 mph again.

I keep an OBD II/CAN reader in my glove box at all times. Very handy. I bought mine at Harbor Freight for around $30. These cars throw a lot of codes when pushed hard and clearing them resolves most issues. or at least saves your day or gets you home.

Here's my detailed write-up to which GM has been unresponsive and has not resolved:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-thoughts.html
i will buy one but im not satisfied with 168. Car should do 190+. I would have to stop on every lap because i run the front straight at Pocono 170-177 (in my 2016 Z06) tuned.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:28 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Talking to him now thanks.
It is VERY IMPORTANT when you take the car to the dealer you tell them to NOT CLEAR THE CODE BEFORE CONTACTING GM. As you are the third person I know of with this issue they are wanting a car with the code active so the engineers in Michigan can scan it remotely and see what is going on.

Neither I nor the other forum member, KHALID, have been able to get our car to them with the code still intact. We've both had to clear our codes to get home. We didn't have a trailer available as you and would have had to of driven a long ways in limp mode to get it to them.

Please read my post provided earlier and educate the dealer on this issue and the fact that GM will want to analyze instead of just your dealer!!!

Thanks and call me if needed at (918) 630-4544.

Rick

Last edited by rikhek; 06-22-2017 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:33 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

i will buy one but im not satisfied with 168. Car should do 190+. I would have to stop on every lap because i run the front straight at Pocono 170-177 (in my 2016 Z06) tuned.
By NO means am I suggesting you should be satisfied. I sure as hell am not nor is Khalid!!! I only mentioned the reader as a way to save a day or make it home. I am FAR from satisfied as is he.

I'm excited we have a guy such as yourself who has the data related to the issue stored in the CAN system as GM has stated they want in order to diagnose. I'm just scared the dealer will clear it not realizing how big of an issue this is with the platform, NOT just your individual car.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:51 PM
goshendad
Racer

Originally Posted by rikhek
By NO means am I suggesting you should be satisfied. I sure as hell am not nor is Khalid!!! I only mentioned the reader as a way to save a day or make it home. I am FAR from satisfied as is he.

I'm excited we have a guy such as yourself who has the data related to the issue stored in the CAN system as GM has stated they want in order to diagnose. I'm just scared the dealer will clear it not realizing how big of an issue this is with the platform, NOT just your individual car.
Im on it!!
Old 06-22-2017, 01:12 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Sorry to hear you're having this problem.

I guess it's just a 2017 problem - my 2016 doesn't have any problem at all when it accelerates past 167.

Hope you guys can find the answer to this crazy problem!!

When logging data on my C6 ZR1 at an event I found the speed readout stopped increasing at about 158mph, but the car would keep accelerating on up to well beyond that speed. I think rikhek has seen that with his car as well.

My 2016 Z06 has no problem accelerating right on up past that 167mph limit you guys are hitting. I've not had any problems at all with the 2016, so I guess you're experiencing a 2017 only issue.

Best o'luck!!

Last edited by BEZ06; 06-22-2017 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:16 PM
goshendad
Racer

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Sorry to hear you're having this problem.

I guess it's just a 2017 problem - my 2016 doesn't have any problem at all when it accelerates past 167.

Hope you guys can find the answer to this crazy problem!!

My 2016 didnt either but i tuned it. Another driver yesterday just bought a 2016 leftover. he drove it 1500 miles and ran with us yesterday and had the exact same problem. all temps were fine. He put a Halltech cai in but nothing else.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:32 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

My 2016 didnt either but i tuned it. Another driver yesterday just bought a 2016 leftover. he drove it 1500 miles and ran with us yesterday and had the exact same problem. all temps were fine. He put a Halltech cai in but nothing else.
Wow - I didn't know this was a fairly widespread problem!

My 2016 is an M7 and I have also have a Halltech cai, but otherwise it's stock.

I've been to 3 events at Daytona with it - 8 track days, four 30 minute sessions per day, 10 to 12 laps per session. Every lap I do about 170 into the brake zone for the Bus Stop (chicane on the back straight), and 180+ across the S/F line before braking for T1 into the infield.

My car has never had any overheating problem, or any limp mode at all. I just installed a secondary radiator last month, but I didn't have it for VIR last year or any of the events I've run at Daytona so far.

I'm standing by for info what y'all find in case my car decides to start doing it!!

Old 06-22-2017, 02:06 PM
goshendad
Racer

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Wow - I didn't know this was a fairly widespread problem!

My 2016 is an M7 and I have also have a Halltech cai, but otherwise it's stock.

I've been to 3 events at Daytona with it - 8 track days, four 30 minute sessions per day, 10 to 12 laps per session. Every lap I do about 170 into the brake zone for the Bus Stop (chicane on the back straight), and 180+ across the S/F line before braking for T1 into the infield.

My car has never had any overheating problem, or any limp mode at all. I just installed a secondary radiator last month, but I didn't have it for VIR last year or any of the events I've run at Daytona so far.

I'm standing by for info what y'all find in case my car decides to start doing it!!

That is how the car should be right? Wow! Daytona sounds awesome. Did not know you can bring your own car on the track. I need to come down when this thing is fixed.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:13 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

Corvette Z06 Owners Hit GM with Proposed Class-Action Lawsuit

Get notified of new replies

To Reduced Engine Power warning at track

Old 06-22-2017, 04:37 PM
goshendad
Racer

I know but that is overheating issue. Mine is not that.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:34 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

...Wow! Daytona sounds awesome. Did not know you can bring your own car on the track. I need to come down when this thing is fixed.
There are about 4 or 5 HPDE type events here every year. This year there was one in April, and there will be one the beginning of Oct, one the end of Oct, and two in Dec.

The Oct 6-8 event is a great event put on by PDG (Performance Driving Group). Here's a link to a post about it:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...oadcourse.html

The event the end of Oct 27-29 is the PCA Oktoberfast event. It's got a bunch of racing sessions in between the DE sessions, and because they're usually cleaning up the track and towing in cars after the racing sessions, the DE groups usually get short-changed on time!

There's a one night "under the lights" several hour open-track event Oct 26th.

There's an HPDE put on by an Audi club from Ohio Dec 1-3, and MVP Track Time will put on an HPDE Dec 8-10.

These Daytona events are expensive!! The MVP Track Time event will be the cheapest. Most all of them you can run 1, 2, or all 3 days.

We usually get four 30 minute sessions per day for a couple hours of track time each day.

The PDG event the beginning of Oct and the MVP event in Dec will only have 3 run groups. The PDG event will have five 30 minute sessions Fri-Sat, and three 30 minute sessions (Intermediate and Advanced only) on Sun.

I don't know about the MVP event, but with only 3 run groups they may have longer sessions or maybe five 30 minute sessions. It's the first time MVP will have run an event at Daytona, so I don't know exactly what their schedule will be.

Bottom line - I hope you get your car problem figured out so you can get down here some time!!

Bob

goshendad (06-23-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 08:13 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

???
The tune in the VE table running out too lean on the top end. Also one of the other tables other than in the VE will do the same thing on the power being dropped. I am no tuner at all but have had my problems in the c5 with diff tuners that said they were a tuner.

I also know the c7 is a big diff's in the tuning with the computers in this car plus the DI inj on them.

Quick Reply: Reduced Engine Power warning at track