C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear end groan at slow speed

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 02:23 PM
mongoose87
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 54 Posts
Default rear end groan at slow speed

Hello,
I recently bought a 1972 corvette sbc, and have been going through it to get it capable of going freeway speeds.
I finally brought it on the freeway, woohoo!
When i brought it home, it was making some groaning noises from the rear end when i was making slow right/left hand turns from a stop sign. It was making these noises before, but just not as often. I've only really been bringing it on short >5 mile trips.
I've hearing people talking about clunking noises, but this isn't really a clunk. It's more of a groan. This sounds silly, but the noise is almost like a sound you'd hear from a huge boat coming to dock. No popping; doesn't sound like anything is rattling or knocking around.
Could this be a differential issue?
I bought the car from a guy who said it was in storage for a while, so the fluid probably hasn't been changed in 10+ years., maybe never.
I've been reading some things about rear sway bar bushings, but that the examples I've been reading have been from later corvettes.
Trailing arm bushings?

Any guidance is greatly apreciated.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:33 PM
raydog9379
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Diff fluid and get posi additive. Can find GM fluids on Amazon and get them in a day or 2. Lots of arguments around here on which to use, etc..

I need to change mine, have the same groan after a while. Bought the stuff a few days ago, just need to do it now.
The following users liked this post:
mongoose87 (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 06:19 PM
fishslayer143
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 143 Posts

the noise is Posi clutch chatter.. try changing your differential gear oil .. use a GL4 and add 8 oz of friction modifier .. ..put the additive in first, then fill .. .. drive the car around the block a few times making right and left turns at slow speeds.. it probably will clear up shortly. ..if not, its rebuild time

Get notified of new replies

To rear end groan at slow speed

Quick Reply: rear end groan at slow speed