Sponsored by:

Lousy handling

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 09:16 PM
claf
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 75 Posts

Default Lousy handling

My '04 conv drives really poorly on two lane paved secondary roads. It doesn't track well and seems to dart a lot. Feels like "bump steer" or a touch of toe out. Two new Continentals tires on the rear (didn't make any difference) with half worn Michelin's on the front.

I have to "drive" this car 100 % of the time and it just doesn't feel right. My daily driver Cobalt goes down the road much better. Where should I look for problems ? Car was a one owner until I bought it last winter with 83K on it.

Outside of the uncomfortable steering everything about the car is working fine.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:26 PM
Eaglerulez
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

When doing your tires did you get an alignment?

I lowered my car and just didn't have time to get to the alignment shop for about a week or so. At first the car handled great, but as the alignment fell apart the car was downright dangerous to drive.

Once I got the alignment, the car was awesome again.

I'm sure someone will chime in here saying this, but if you are unhappy with your C5's performance C6 Z51 sway bars, metal endlinks, C6 Z06 shocks, and lowering your car on the stock springs will completely transform your cars' handling capabilities.

All of those upgrades can be had (with install labor, alignment, etc) for around $1,000 tops. Believe me, I had huge issues with my C5's handling, and after doing those upgrades one by one, the car really became a handling beast.

I would also highly recommend Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires when yours wear...they stick and grip unbelievably and are very solid when wet.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:47 PM
Dark Sarcasm
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Newbie to the C5 platform so take this with a grain of salt. I would check the front steering and suspension components first. Lift the front end. Grab a tire at 3 and 9 o'clock and try to shake it. If you feel play it's probably a tie rod going bad. Grab the tire at 12 and 6 o'clock and try to shake it. If you feel play it's probably a ball joint. This is my experience on most vehicles. Also, get an alignment. These are typical symptoms of a bad alignment.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:49 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

I would get two new matching Continentals for the front and get it aligned. They will check for any worn components and get you back on track. Just make sure you go to a shop that is familiar with C5s.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:13 PM
claf
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 75 Posts

Yes, all tires are standard sizes. Front tires are Mich run flats dated 2012. Tire pressures are per the door sticker.

Just saved a $1000, sorry but i don't need that kind of improved performance to get all the Z06 components, just want the car to go down the road straight.

Debating matching Conti's for the front and another alignment but maybe it would be simpler to move up to a C6 ?
Old 06-25-2017, 11:54 PM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

Runflats handle very differently from conventional sidewall tires and you should not mix their construction on the same car. You should get the matching tires for your Continentals and see how much that will affect your car's handling. Also, checking suspension components still would be a good idea. Just changing tires won't affect your alignment so I wouldn't be too concerned with that at this time. I have Continentals on my Z06 and the most fun is going around the twisty roads where I live.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:58 PM
Eaglerulez
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by claf
Yes, all tires are standard sizes. Front tires are Mich run flats dated 2012. Tire pressures are per the door sticker.

Just saved a $1000, sorry but i don't need that kind of improved performance to get all the Z06 components, just want the car to go down the road straight.

Debating matching Conti's for the front and another alignment but maybe it would be simpler to move up to a C6 ?
So much wrong with this post.

1) Your tires are 5 years old...get tires that match and get that thing aligned. I am 95% sure that's what it is.

2) You say you don't have $1,000 to pretty much get C6 handling and to likely fix whatever problem you have but somehow you think it's easier to outright buy a C6? Put old, crappy, unaligned, and mismatched tires on your C6 and you'll get the same thing.

I hope you know that your car needs oil changes too...and don't fill it up with 87 it needs 91 octane.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:18 AM
ZigZag
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 116 Posts

Like others have said, you really need to match up the conti's. If you have DW's or DWS's it's best to match. When I bought my car it had two different brand tires and tracked bad. Bought four conti DW's had it aligned and it been perfect ever since.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:59 AM
norcalace
Burning Brakes

Received 234 Likes on 137 Posts

I'm betting there is absolutely nothing wrong with your car. It's the road. Rural secondary roads will often develop shallow ruts mostly caused by heavy trucks, farm equipment, etc. the reason your car is darting around is due to the width and depth of the "ruts". The width, wheelbase and sport suspension on your Corvette will react more to the road imperfections than the somewhat softer suspension on your Cobalt. I'll bet the Vette tracks just fine in town and down the freeways.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (06-26-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 10:25 AM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,314 Likes on 886 Posts

The the wheels off, put the car on jack stands and do a thorough suspension inspection. I would bet you have some worn components that need to be replaced.

I got my 2002 Z06 about a month ago with 93K on the clock. I had it aligned which made it much better but I still found the car's handling to be off. I discovered I had a broken stabilizer bar end link and the other 3 weren't in very good shape either. I replaced all four and the car is much better.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:43 AM
MikeyMcFly
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

Some tires are much more prone to being pulled by ruts than others.

On my first car I went to a set of very aggressive tread summer only tires and I could be pulled left and right by ruts. My standard all-seasons I ran in the winter didn't have any issues with that.

On my STi I had a set of Dunflop Sport SP600s that came off a new STi when I went to the larger / wider take-off wheels and I ran into the same issue. I swapped out for a set of Pilot Super Sports and didn't have any issues.

That being said, I've got the Michelin ZPs currently and haven't really experienced the same problems you have noted, but I do know exactly what you're talking about.

This might be a bit of a long shot, but see if there is a member local to you that will let you swap his front tires for yours and take a trip through those areas. If you are thrown the same way, then it's not your tires.

When I had my last Tacoma I was getting a grinding feeling around corners that was driving me nuts. I had a set of BFG AT KO tires which were quite knobby and could be loud. I swapped on my snow tires with highway tread and the sound went away.

Just my feelings on the issue. Rule out the tires first and then figure out your suspension woes, if necessary.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:52 PM
Nyt_Muves
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

In my experience with the C5 the width of the tire will effect the amount of tram lining dramatically. I currently run 275 up front and 325 on the rear. Way more tram lining than stock width. The Michelin pilot super sport tires I have currently are way better about it than the Goodyear run flats I had on there before though.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:54 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

A friend threw a set of DW's on the back of his car based on how well my DW's hooked up, and he said it tracked horribly after.

Get a matching set, it's definitely worth it.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:58 PM
nickb45502
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
A friend threw a set of DW's on the back of his car based on how well my DW's hooked up, and he said it tracked horribly after.

Get a matching set, it's definitely worth it.
Its not the DW. Its the fact that there are 2 sets of different tires front/rear, age unknown, alignment unknown.

Check all obvious stuff first like bushings, control arms. Then tires, then align.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:57 PM
RockyMtC5
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ZigZag
Like others have said, you really need to match up the conti's. If you have DW's or DWS's it's best to match. When I bought my car it had two different brand tires and tracked bad. Bought four conti DW's had it aligned and it been perfect ever since.
same here -- new front tires will fix this issue
Old 06-26-2017, 05:30 PM
don37
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

My '04 conv drives really poorly on two lane paved secondary roads. It doesn't track well and seems to dart a lot. Feels like "bump steer" or a touch of toe out. Two new Continentals tires on the rear (didn't make any difference) with half worn Michelin's on the front.

I have to "drive" this car 100 % of the time and it just doesn't feel right. My daily driver Cobalt goes down the road much better. Where should I look for problems ? Car was a one owner until I bought it last winter with 83K on it.

Outside of the uncomfortable steering everything about the car is working fine.
how many miles? Try tie rod ends / ball joints. May be bushings too.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:19 PM
CorvetteFrankie
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

My folks always told me "if you don't have anything nice to say..."

Get notified of new replies

To Lousy handling

Old 06-28-2017, 03:38 PM
awches
Pro

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

My 03 Coupe was all over the place on secondary blacktop roads when I got it a in March this year. Had to really concentrate on holding it in a straight line. To me it felt like positive toe in so after a 1000 miles of putting up with it finally went to my local allinement shop and talked to my buddy there. Put on the rack and it was bad out. One front with no toe in and the other with about 2 degrees of toe out. Redid both front and back to factory and WOW! Totally different car to drive. Tires on it are the Goodyear runflats with the fronts being 6 yrs old with 30K miles and the rears being 4 year old with 14K miles.
Do remember the days when we use to use string to set toe in. Not super accurate but got us by and made the car handle like we wanted.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:52 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Sounds like the car is lacking in the caster dept.

Google "Pfadt C5 alignment specs" and put the street alignment on the car
Old 06-28-2017, 09:51 PM
v8srfun
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 123 Posts

I would be Williston bet the most of the problem is the old run flat tires

Quick Reply: Lousy handling