Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highest Water C5 Can Drive Thru?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 06:41 AM
InfiniteReality
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Highest Water C5 Can Drive Thru?

Back story is the reason I'm in a C5 is because I flooded out my WS6 end of April during a flash flood, but luckily I carried full coverage. Apparently it only takes 6-7" of water to this on a f-body, the water was at the bottom of my side ground effects for reference.

I probably should have gotten a truck, but while I loved my Raptor, it wasn't near as much fun to drive....plus I like have no car note now and that money can go into my Superlite SLC. I got the C5 only because it was one of the GM sports cars I've never owned and was time for something different (WS6 was my 3rd f-body). I can't even say I was excited to go pick it up, other than it was something new to learn on. After a couple of months of the C5 being my DD, I can't believe I did get one sooner. They really are nicer than a f-body inside, more updated, ride better (WS6 had BMR/Koni), handle better, etc... I really don't want to flood this car, but it is my daily and I live in Louisiana and we've gotten more flash floods lately than in the past decade so little nervous.

Anyone know how deep a C5 can go? Obviously I'll never go through water past the door sill, but curious how high it can be and still drive through it. BTW, also still running the stock airbox.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:44 AM
nsogiba
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 233 Posts

No offense, but this is kind of like asking how many times you can safely take a bullet and still live.

With the C5 being a "bottom feeder" you run an even higher risk of water ingestion than a regular car. When a car is moving at any rate of speed, even just an inch of standing water becomes a big vertical plume that can get sucked in and hydrolock the motor.

Maybe just leave the C5 in the garage on days when there's risk of rain?
Old 06-28-2017, 08:01 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,289 Likes on 13,964 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

6-7" of water would not be a good thing for the C5. I know it is hard to predict when you might run into a deep enough level of water to cause problems, but since you say flash floods have happened frequently lately, you might want to consider leaving the C5 at home when heavy rain is predicted.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:35 AM
LoganExplosion
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 112 Posts

Simple. Move.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:48 AM
UM Rebel
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts

I also live in Louisiana. Have driven my C5 through water up to the bottom edge of the doors. No problems. Just went through at crawl speed. Welcome to the C5 world. They are really great and FUN cars!
Old 06-28-2017, 09:27 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by UM Rebel
I also live in Louisiana. Have driven my C5 through water up to the bottom edge of the doors. No problems. Just went through at crawl speed. Welcome to the C5 world. They are really great and FUN cars!
you were lucky !!! as stated the water would have made it to the air intake !!!!! (unless you have a Vararam then it's to the front vents !!!!)
Old 06-28-2017, 10:29 AM
InfiniteReality
Racer

I guess I wasn't clear in the original post... I haven't ever driven the C5 through that much water, don't ever plan on it. That was the WS6 on that one faithful day. The bottom of the WS6 ground effect to the ground was 6" and that's about where the water was when it happened. Water wasn't entering the car or anything crazy.

I've owned f-bodies for the better part of 10yrs in total and driven through some heavy rains and standing water over the years without issue. Since the WS6 was totaled after that accident, I decided to get a C5 as my daily driver even if not the most practical.

Lately I'll take the busa if flash flood is predicted since it's intake is way higher, even took it the day of the Tropical Storm Cindy which was said to be up to 6" of water and 40mph winds.. I don't mind riding in the rain if I have to, only down side is it's a pain to deal with the rain suit plus my gear. I take the bike as much as possible in general though.

I am just thinking out loud on a realistic amount of standing water a C5 can go through (slowly of course). No Varaam or any aftermarket air intake for me, I'll stick with stock. Sooner or later, I'm sure I'll get caught in the C5 in heavy rain and don't want a repeat, as I really like owning a C5. I think realistically bottom of the the actual car (water not touching painted part) would be okay, any higher may be asking for trouble.

Speaking of aftermarket intakes, what keeps the filters dry anyways when driving in the rain?? Just washing my car, the air intake area gets wet and most aftermarket systems don't have covers for the filters. Always been curious about that.

Where you from in LA? I hate to say it, but I thought the same thing when I flooded the WS6 and was going slow, so now I'm nervous of rain in general in case of a flash flood, lol.

Last edited by InfiniteReality; 06-28-2017 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:05 AM
001pewter
Race Director

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts
St.. Jude Donor '17-'18

Not only with it being a bottom feeder but with the pcm being so low there's the chance that gets wet also. When I bought mine apparently the previous owner ran something over, my best guess, and busted a hole in the passenger fender well right at the bottom. On 2 separate occasions it got wet and when it did the car will not start. I'm in northwest la and some places flood pretty bad anything other than normal street puddles I'll highly avoid.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:29 AM
UM Rebel
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by InfiniteReality
I

Where you from in LA? I hate to say it, but I thought the same thing when I flooded the WS6 and was going slow, so now I'm nervous of rain in general in case of a flash flood, lol.
Lafayette. I've driven through water several times. One time on Mississippi Coast water up to bottom of doors. I could see the air dam pushing the water in front of the car. Woman behind me in an Escalade couldn't stand the crawl speed I was going passed me and sent a wave over top of car. She evidently hadn't read the boating rule,."Ypu are responsible for your wake." That was several years ago. No problems as a result.

Last edited by UM Rebel; 06-28-2017 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:16 PM
Lexybird
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

What's the deepest mud a c5 can get through ? What's the highest jump a c5 can handle ? Sounds like a tryout for an early 80's dukes of hazard episode. It isn't a 69' charger

Last edited by Lexybird; 06-28-2017 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:34 PM
c5vetteguy
Melting Slicks

Received 231 Likes on 163 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Even if there was a definitive answer to your question (let's say 6" is the max), are you going to stop your car, get out a ruler, measure the puddle at its deepest point, and then decide whether or not it's safe to traverse?

Of course not - you have no idea how deep a puddle is until you're in the middle of it, and by then it could be too late. Whenever possible, avoid any type of flooding scenario, regardless of how deep you think it is. Better safe than sorry, but you already know that.

Old 06-28-2017, 02:35 PM
Corvette#2
Safety Car

Received 394 Likes on 247 Posts

My C5 is a daily driver. I once got caught in a sudden monsoon rain storm.

I had to drive a few blocks through about 6" of water. The air intake is actually at the top of the air box, but one of the turn signal bulbs must have got splashed and burned out. I put in a new one and it was fine. Bottom line, I don't sweat driving in the rain, but I would avoid standing water at any cost. If you actually hydro locked an F-Body, the same could happen to a C5. Maybe get a beater car to drive when the roads are flooded ?
Old 06-28-2017, 02:53 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Name:  water_injestionriver.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  55.2 KB

This guy and his buddy in another C5 both made it through on the way to a race and also made it through on the return trip.

Last edited by Patches; 06-28-2017 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:17 PM
InfiniteReality
Racer

Originally Posted by 001pewter
Not only with it being a bottom feeder but with the pcm being so low there's the chance that gets wet also. When I bought mine apparently the previous owner ran something over, my best guess, and busted a hole in the passenger fender well right at the bottom. On 2 separate occasions it got wet and when it did the car will not start. I'm in northwest la and some places flood pretty bad anything other than normal street puddles I'll highly avoid.
PCM is one thing I haven't tried to find on the car, I had no clue where it is, but now I know. On an f-body it's pretty much where our batteries reside.

Lafayette. I've driven through water several times. One time on Mississippi Coast water up to bottom of doors. I could see the air dam pushing the water in front of the car. Woman behind me in an Escalade couldn't stand the crawl speed I was going passed me and sent a wave over top of car. She evidently hadn't read the boating rule,."Ypu are responsible for your wake." That was several years ago. No problems as a result.
Haha, what a rude driver! Least I know these cars are more durable than I expected. I'm actually not far from you, I live in Vinton... 8 miles from the LA/TX line.

Originally Posted by Lexybird
What's the deepest mud a c5 can get through ? What's the highest jump a c5 can handle ? Sounds like a tryout for an early 80's dukes of hazard episode. It isn't a 69' charger
LOL. Give me a few months, I may find out some of those answers. The Raptor was fun to jump stuff though, actually it was a blast.

Originally Posted by c5vetteguy
Even if there was a definitive answer to your question (let's say 6" is the max), are you going to stop your car, get out a ruler, measure the puddle at its deepest point, and then decide whether or not it's safe to traverse?

Of course not - you have no idea how deep a puddle is until you're in the middle of it, and by then it could be too late. Whenever possible, avoid any type of flooding scenario, regardless of how deep you think it is. Better safe than sorry, but you already know that.

Good point! I was just thinking if I could gauge a safe height, all I would is have to keep the door cracked to see the level and only go on roads I know. I definitely don't have an intentions on driving roads I don't know when it's flooded, mostly between work and home

Originally Posted by Corvette#2
My C5 is a daily driver. I once got caught in a sudden monsoon rain storm.

I had to drive a few blocks through about 6" of water. The air intake is actually at the top of the air box, but one of the turn signal bulbs must have got splashed and burned out. I put in a new one and it was fine. Bottom line, I don't sweat driving in the rain, but I would avoid standing water at any cost. If you actually hydro locked an F-Body, the same could happen to a C5. Maybe get a beater car to drive when the roads are flooded ?
Good to hear, sounds like C5's may be better suited than f-bodies although will avoid standing water at all costs. I have since found an alternate route where the WS6 flooded. If I know it's possible to flood that day, I'll take the bike... pretty much is my beater, I typically put more miles on it than my DD yearly.

Originally Posted by Patches

This guy and his buddy in another C5 both made it through on the way to a race and also made it through on the return trip.
Holy crap!! That guy has some *****, I don't think I could make myself drive through that! Nice picture, even more proof these cars are better than a f-body.

Thanks for the replies, I feel better about the whole "what if" I get caught in a monsoon. I'll do my best to avoid, but my luck sucks sometimes....although it was actually good luck for flooding the WS6 because now I'm in a vette.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:54 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Watch:
http://interactive.tegna-media.com/v...%C2%A7ion=home

Driving a Corvette through standing water doesn't take *****, it takes stupidity. It could totally ruin your car.

Last edited by JR-01; 06-29-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:11 PM
Rover01
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 63 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20

WTF, Why? Park it and come back later, electronic gremlins will haunt your sleep.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:29 PM
Nyt_Muves
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Patches

Bigger cajones than I have.

Get notified of new replies

To Highest Water C5 Can Drive Thru?

Old 06-28-2017, 09:45 PM
v8srfun
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 123 Posts

This is funny because the majority of c5 owners will not even let water touch there car. But I agree with the above my limit would be about 5 inches
Old 06-28-2017, 10:25 PM
SAYUNCL
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

nope...not turning mine into a wet vac...did that in a GTI and also a TBird SC...not fun
Old 06-28-2017, 11:22 PM
digi2t
Instructor

Received 139 Likes on 39 Posts

Maybe better off with one of these...

The following 2 users liked this post by digi2t:
bikeriderga (06-29-2017), Rover01 (06-30-2017)

Quick Reply: Highest Water C5 Can Drive Thru?