C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Spin

Old 06-28-2017, 10:19 PM
Adam Cifonelli
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Wheel Spin

So Ive had my Vette for a few weeks now. Finally feeling comfortable to go WOT. Problem is no matter how slowly I rollin into 1st-2nd I cannot escape wheel spin. Is it just as simple as the stock Eagle RFs not hooking? Or is there just too much torque to avoid spinning?

Edit: On the road that is... not track.

Last edited by Adam Cifonelli; 06-28-2017 at 10:20 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:27 PM
Ron'sGS
Burning Brakes

Received 266 Likes on 198 Posts

The Good Year Eagle tire's are terrible, especially if they're old.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:33 PM
Adam Cifonelli
Pro

Originally Posted by Ron'sGS
The Good Year Eagle tire's are terrible, especially if they're old.
Yeah.. thats what I figured. I think im going to get FireHawk Indy 500 are what I think Im getting. Cheap and great reviews.. $600 for all 4 on tirerack.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:44 PM
J.Moore
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 150 Posts

I don't think any street tire is gonna bite on our streets with these LS engines under the hood. Probably why you see alot of Vets off the road and into trees. Car gets away from you FAST.

It was hard enough getting bite with my 69 Camaro on the track with 14x32 medium compound drag slicks on a PREPPED starting line. And it was only about 550HP small block 355.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:54 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

I think you see a lot of Vettes running off the road because of the idiot drivers. I have watched, and listened carefully, to many videos of epic Corvette wrecks, and the common thread is that the drivers don't lift when in trouble, or get back on it before they are out of trouble.

There are several tires noted on this forum as having sufficient grip to handle a decent launch with the base motor. Adding more power does make it much tougher, I am sure. Mine is base, and I get good, hard launches on my Hankook's.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:06 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 730 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
I think you see a lot of Vettes running off the road because of the idiot drivers. I have watched, and listened carefully, to many videos of epic Corvette wrecks, and the common thread is that the drivers don't lift when in trouble, or get back on it before they are out of trouble.

There are several tires noted on this forum as having sufficient grip to handle a decent launch with the base motor. Adding more power does make it much tougher, I am sure. Mine is base, and I get good, hard launches on my Hankook's.
It's about pedal management and knowing when to lift your foot off the gas just enough to regain traction. Knowing your car's traction limits and adjusting to what the tires can handle no matter what tire or how much HP you have.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:56 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3
It's about pedal management and knowing when to lift your foot off the gas just enough to regain traction. Knowing your car's traction limits and adjusting to what the tires can handle no matter what tire or how much HP you have.

And add a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports

Still spinning but running very low 12's with them

It's well known that stock Goodyear run flats suck...

Dave
Old 06-29-2017, 04:42 PM
Ward Cleaver
Southern Piedmont Area
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckMeister2

I think you see a lot of Vettes running off the road because of the idiot drivers.

Indeed, especially idiot drivers who turn off their traction control.

Regards,
-Ward
Old 06-29-2017, 05:06 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

How bout that button on the console. I think its for "traction control". Most people seem to agree that it's still about the best way to launch your car under most circumstances. I dunno...maybe its just me....
Old 06-29-2017, 05:41 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by windyC6
How bout that button on the console. I think its for "traction control". Most people seem to agree that it's still about the best way to launch your car under most circumstances. I dunno...maybe its just me....
I don't know about your car but I do use traction control and yes they still break loose .....takes a special touch to get it out of the hole even with traction control and great street tires if you are making any kind of power ...
Dave
Old 06-29-2017, 05:42 PM
Adam Cifonelli
Pro

Originally Posted by windyC6
Yeah. I've messed around with it off and on. I think leaving it on is best. But people love that "Competitive" mode.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:43 PM
Adam Cifonelli
Pro

Originally Posted by Dcasole
I don't know about your car but I do use traction control and yes they still break loose .....takes a special touch to get it out of the hole even with traction control and great street tires if you are making any kind of power ...
Dave
I think my issue if just that the stock Eagles are terrible. Id prob notice night and day difference when I put on the Firehawk Indy 500s im going to order. 600 for all 4 is a steal.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:21 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Adam Cifonelli
Yeah. I've messed around with it off and on. I think leaving it on is best. But people love that "Competitive" mode.
With my street tires I blow them away on launch and again on the 1st to 2nd shift in competition mode...scary , real scary until I get drag radials i am leaving it on

Dave
Old 06-29-2017, 06:28 PM
86SC
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

i'll give my thoughts...

i have a supercharged 3rd gen camaro makes 420 to the wheels, i put on some mickey thompson ET street tires to have traction. they don't spin unless i want them to.

just bought a 2010 grand sport with eagle F1 supercar tires 325's i was surprised how they break loose with the traction control on... this was around high 50's to 60 degree temps, they are much better at higher temperatures. when they are done i'm going to try some michellins until then i find myself just mashing 1st gear to break a little sideways i learned with the vette you have to roll into the throttle.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:20 PM
EnviedC6
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Honestly, I had great results out of Bridgestone RE-11 on a 19x11 with 325/35/19 size. It bit great all the way down till recently. I just swapped them out for some DR's and they were at 2/32nds. I am pushing just over 450rwhp.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:03 PM
Adam Cifonelli
Pro

Originally Posted by 86SC
i learned with the vette you have to roll into the throttle.
Def. Although at 30 in 2nd gear I can punch it and hook up and that 424 torque hits u soo solidly. That def the most satisfying part Ive found driving so far.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:58 PM
Naldinator
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

With my street tires I blow them away on launch and again on the 1st to 2nd shift in competition mode...scary , real scary until I get drag radials i am leaving it on

Dave
I have personally witnessed him do just this.

Either his tires suck or he has a bad connection between his brain and his right foot.

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel Spin

Old 06-30-2017, 07:18 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Naldinator
I have personally witnessed him do just this.

Either his tires suck or he has a bad connection between his brain and his right foot.

Need to get those drag radials like u

Dave
Old 06-30-2017, 07:31 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

And add a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports

Still spinning but running very low 12's with them

It's well known that stock Goodyear run flats suck...

Dave
This is good to hear as I have the same tires. I plan on testing them out once the weather cools down.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:44 AM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 894 Posts

Originally Posted by J.Moore
I don't think any street tire is gonna bite on our streets with these LS engines under the hood. Probably why you see alot of Vets off the road and into trees. Car gets away from you FAST.
That's usually driver error more than tire issue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wheel Spin