Tow hook experience

Old 07-07-2017, 04:47 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,044 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Default Tow hook experience

Our 2017 Z51 was supposed to have the front & rear receivers for the tow hook (it does), but I looked first before ordering the hook. Here's some things I learned:
(All of this information is available in other threads, but I couldn't find all of it in one place)

1. Our local dealer said that GM had no hooks in the supply chain, so he got one from another dealer who had it in stock. List $116, with a club discount $90. There is a nice aftermarket unit available for a similar price, but I stick with stock parts when practical.

2. The GM hook fits nicely in the niche molded into the plastic "sub-floor" at the right-rear of the trunk. The aftermarket hook can be made to fit but requires enlarging the niche.

3. The front grill has a small section in front of the receiver that pulls out to allow installing the hook without scratching or breaking the grill mesh. The "ears" that hold this piece in place are different between top and bottom, so I used a silver Sharpie to mark "Top" and "Bottom" on the back of the piece so it gets reinstalled correctly. The first removal took a hard pull and I'm glad the garage was hot to reduce the chance of breaking/cracking. Subsequent removals were easier.

4. With a bit of oil on it, the hook screwed in easily. Threading it in will remove some of the paint in the receiver threads, I gave them a shot of Superlube spray afterwards to reduce rusting. The other end of the receiver appears to be open, so covering the front opening will just allow dirt and crud in get in from the back and be trapped.

5. The rear receiver hides behind a small pop-out panel in the left-rear bumper. Mine did not pop out easily. The plastic putty knives/credit cards I use as expedient trim tools wouldn't do the job, I cut a custom rectangle from a stiff plastic notebook cover than that worked nicely, inserted from the left side and slid around to the bottom. It will be stored in the rear cubby for use if needed. In an emergency, a screwdriver will work but will gouge the plastic.

6. It took me 20 minutes of sweating and cussing to get the hook started into the rear receiver. I'm not sure if the opening was deformed a bit, or the paint on the threads was interfering, or the weird angle of entry was messing me up. Either way, the time to test it is now, not laying on your back in a muddy ditch or 5 minutes before your first track session. Even after installing three times, getting started was a bit stiff at this end. But do-able.
Again, the other end of the receiver is also open so junk will get in there. Again, I gave it a shot of Superlube to reduce rusting.

7. The hook should work for pulling you out of some mud, or getting you out of the way at a track event. But at either end, the hook is way off-center and sits at a weird angle, so plan on using T-hooks in the frame slots if you need to be winched onto a flatbed.

Hope this helps someone...
Sorry, forgot to take pics.

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 07-07-2017 at 05:10 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Gearhead Jim:
06nine (07-07-2017), Glennm27 (07-23-2017), GRKLGHTNG (05-31-2020), Johnp94 (07-28-2017), jonesaut (07-07-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 04:58 PM
segen77
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I don't understand why camaro (at least the RS) gets the tow hook with the car, but the vette doesn't.

Also, not to jack your thread, does anyone know if the non z51 stingray has the receivers for tow hooks?
Old 07-07-2017, 05:45 PM
2K14C7
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 519 Likes on 321 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

I believe they only come on the Z51, GS and Z06.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:46 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by 2K14C7
I believe they only come on the Z51, GS and Z06.
towhooks only come in exported corvettes. Receivers started coming in late 2015 models in the front. I think the rear has always been there. If i remember correctly.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:54 PM
///ADMAN
Melting Slicks

Received 471 Likes on 307 Posts

Aftermarket just look nicer and support our forum vendors

Old 07-07-2017, 11:31 PM
blueray16
Burning Brakes

Received 472 Likes on 280 Posts

I have the ZL1 Addons and the rear hook goes in OK. I got the front one on once when I first received them but at the track last Month I couldn't get it threaded on. Tried a couple more times and still can't get the threads started. I have the Z06 grille on my Z51 and it is in the way just enough to make it hard to align the hook properly. Called ZL1 and they said it will work but have to push on the grill to get it out of the way.
Still can't get it to thread on and I'm afraid I may have buggered the threads a little in the aluminum receiver.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:47 AM
///ADMAN
Melting Slicks

Received 471 Likes on 307 Posts

You have to move one of the plastic blades out of the way and it will thread in.
The problem is the angle. Like the rear, it is a bit deceiving. Try again...
The following users liked this post:
blueray16 (07-08-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 01:09 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
7. The hook should work for pulling you out of some mud, or getting you out of the way at a track event. But at either end, the hook is way off-center and sits at a weird angle, so plan on using T-hooks in the frame slots if you need to be winched onto a flatbed.
Good on you for pointing this out. I think a lot of people are under the mistaken impression that these tow hooks can be used to put the car on a flatbed. That is very wrong because as you said they are off center.

If a flatbed driver tries to use them stop them immediately. It's very unsafe and could end ugly. The good ones know the only safe way to do it is using a Y-strap with T-hooks anchored at the rocker jacking points on each side.
Johnp94 (07-28-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 01:47 PM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 179 Posts

For emergency purposes.....I keep a set of these in 2 of our cars at all times.

\db2
Attached Images  
vbdenny (07-26-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 03:03 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by dbaker

\db2
That's a good idea, works well on flat ground, but...
I kept a set of the frame hooks in our C5/C6 because I was too lazy/cheap to install actual receivers and hooks, as a non-track person I probably wouldn't need them.

The only time we've needed a tow was on our C5. I sank into some frozen snow, the frame slots were buried and we couldn't get to them. The tow driver looped his straps around something on the suspension that shouldn't be used but I was lucky; no damage. I've seen something similar on two other Corvettes, one went into brush on uneven ground and the other went into a muddy ditch. In both cases, it would have taken major excavation to reach the frame slots. In both cases, something on the suspension was used to loop the straps and it took enough pulling that I suspect some damage was done, but never learned more.

There doesn't seem to be any perfect solution, just choices that tilt the odds more in our favor.

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 07-08-2017 at 05:32 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:31 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by blueray16
I have the ZL1 Addons and the rear hook goes in OK. I got the front one on once when I first received them but at the track last Month I couldn't get it threaded on. Tried a couple more times and still can't get the threads started. I have the Z06 grille on my Z51 and it is in the way just enough to make it hard to align the hook properly. Called ZL1 and they said it will work but have to push on the grill to get it out of the way.
Still can't get it to thread on and I'm afraid I may have buggered the threads a little in the aluminum receiver.
When I read that, I couldn't believe GM would use aluminum for a threaded receiver that takes a big and slightly rough steel hook, for high tensile loads that will probably be somewhat side-loaded.
But my magnet confirms what you said- the front receiver is aluminum. I was too lazy to remove the cover and test the rear receiver.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:51 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by dbaker

\db2
what are they and where do you get them?where do they hook to?
Old 07-24-2017, 10:24 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by lordofwar
what are they and where do you get them?where do they hook to?
I'm not dbaker, but my experience is...

The hooks go into the slots on the bottom of your frame, same place people put jacking pucks.
A good tow truck driver will use a rig like this to winch a Corvette onto his flatbed. T-shaped hooks will probably better if available, they distribute the pulling force onto a wider area around each frame slot.

Either way, the strap will form a Y with the single end attached to the truck winch. This minimizes (but does not eliminate!) the chance of bumper damage because the straps stay down low.

Aside from taking up some trunk space, the primary disadvantage of having only the rig he pictured, is that if your car has sunk into snow/mud/gravel, then the frame slots can be "submerged" and you can't get at them to install the hooks. Happened to me once, which is why I bought the GM tow hook- use that to pull the car out of the mud, then if you need a flatbed be sure the guy uses a hook/strap arrangement.

c1-2-3-7 Driver (10-04-2021)
Old 07-24-2017, 04:17 PM
segen77
Racer

I guess those of us with the base, non z51 are just kind of out of luck. I truly hope I never need to be towed.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:55 AM
97C5driver
Melting Slicks

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Good on you for pointing this out. I think a lot of people are under the mistaken impression that these tow hooks can be used to put the car on a flatbed. That is very wrong because as you said they are off center.

If a flatbed driver tries to use them stop them immediately. It's very unsafe and could end ugly. The good ones know the only safe way to do it is using a Y-strap with T-hooks anchored at the rocker jacking points on each side.
This is why the ZL1 Addons tow hooks have a heim joint , which allows them to straighten out. My Z06 has been winched onto a flat bed tow truck with no problem.
oldC5 (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 09:54 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by segen77
I guess those of us with the base, non z51 are just kind of out of luck. I truly hope I never need to be towed.
If you get a set of T-hooks that fit your frame slots properly, they will work 100% of the time if you are on level ground, just not as quick to use as a "real" tow hook.

It's only if you are sunk into snow/mud/sand that it becomes a problem.

Our C5 and C6 did not have hook receivers either, so I just kept a set of T-hooks, without straps, in the trunk.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:23 AM
segen77
Racer

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
If you get a set of T-hooks that fit your frame slots properly, they will work 100% of the time if you are on level ground, just not as quick to use as a "real" tow hook.

It's only if you are sunk into snow/mud/sand that it becomes a problem.

Our C5 and C6 did not have hook receivers either, so I just kept a set of T-hooks, without straps, in the trunk.
What exactly is a T Hook? I can guess what you're talking about, but if you have a picture or a link to where to purchase it would be great.

I have a tow strap I keep in my truck, but the hooks would be far too big to fit in the frame slots.

Get notified of new replies

To Tow hook experience

Old 07-26-2017, 10:29 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Here ya go, I found this one on that big site that's named after a river in south America. Probably you can find them easily in a local store.

Whatever you get, just check that they will indeed fit into your frame slots. I carry a bag with a pair in the rear cubby, in addition to the tow hook in it's "official" storage location.

Hoping you never need them, which is probably true.
Emergency items seem to have a preventative effect- buy 'em and you won't need 'em.
Fail to buy them and trouble is guaranteed.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 07-26-2017 at 10:34 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Gearhead Jim:
GRKLGHTNG (04-25-2020), segen77 (07-26-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 10:41 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

That's a good idea, works well on flat ground
thats about all id use it for they are kinda cheap looking

MB has been using them for many yrs our AAA flatbed guy likes us. Its a need lol
Old 07-26-2017, 01:05 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,603 Likes on 6,616 Posts

Originally Posted by ///ADMAN
Aftermarket just look nicer and support our forum vendors

Originally Posted by blueray16
Originally Posted by 97C5driver
This is why the ZL1 Addons tow hooks have a heim joint , which allows them to straighten out. My Z06 has been winched onto a flat bed tow truck with no problem.
Bought one for my Grand Sport from forum vendor ZL1 Addons as well. It screws in fine in the front with nothing removed, they have a slight taper.

Hope I never have to use it!

Last edited by JerryU; 07-26-2017 at 01:07 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tow hook experience