C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z51 tires for track days

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 09:13 PM
Citation
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Z51 tires for track days

Looking at tires for my stock Z51 wheels. These will be 90% track use only. The other 10% might be driving to/from the track, hotel, etc. From what I can find, the following tires are available in the correct sizes. Looking for comments from those with experience with these tires:

Michelin Cup 2, $340/$533
Bridgestone RE71R, $302/$337

I've been running the Bridgestone S-04, with the rear in the 295 size versus the stock 285. The Cup 2 and RE71R are also available in the 295 size.

Overall happy with the S-04 for what they are a high performance street tire. As my lap times have improved, I am over driving these tires, and need something closer to a pure track tire.

Last edited by Citation; 07-07-2017 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:52 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Citation
Looking at tires for my stock Z51 wheels. These will be 90% track use only. The other 10% might be driving to/from the track, hotel, etc. From what I can find, the following tires are available in the correct sizes. Looking for comments from those with experience with these tires:

Michelin Cup 2, $340/$533
Bridgestone RE71R, $302/$337

I've been running the Bridgestone S-04, with the rear in the 295 size versus the stock 285. The Cup 2 and RE71R are also available in the 295 size.

Overall happy with the S-04 for what they are a high performance street tire. As my lap times have improved, I am over driving these tires, and need something closer to a pure track tire.
From research, RE71Rs apparently fall off quickly but are amazing tires for time attack (not for long sessions). I met someone who ran them on his mustang and he complained about them losing traction quickly. They are more of an autocross tire. Cup 2s don't last long enough for the absurdly high cost. How did the S-04 compare to the stock MPSS RF? I had amazing results out of the stock tires in comparison to Hankook RS3's which are supposed to be great track tires. I ran consistently 1.5-2.0 seconds faster with the MPSS RF on a 1:30-per-lap track. Granted, the tread width on the MPSS RF is 15-20 mm wider front and rear on the same 245 and 285 "size" which is crazy.

The corvette suspension is setup for the stiff runflats it seems, so going to different tires may not be an immediate improvement. Also, the regular cup 2s are VERY different from the cup 2 RFs that come on the z07 packages, look at the pictures on tire rack. Cup 2 RFs are basically half slicks, half normal cup 2.

I am in the same boat as you but 50% track 50% weekend driving and likely will go back to the stock tires because I don't want to buy different wheels to just go up 10 or 20 mm in size (can't fit much on the narrow body corvettes without rubbing or sticking the tires out a lot). If hankook was kind and sold 295/30R20, I would probably get them. They communicated well and didn't fall off at all. Problem is they were narrow and the rear tire being a 285/35 made me have to lift the rear suspension all the way up (still was able to get -1 camber though)

According to tire rack, regular MPSS tested better than the S-04 in pretty much all categories. All in all, i'd rather have a consistent 20 minute session tire like the hankooks than a faster 3 lap tire.

Also any problems with running the wider rear? Lowered all the way? what width in the front?

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 07-07-2017 at 10:59 PM.
Old 07-08-2017, 01:24 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Neither MPSS or S-04 are track day tires. It's very easy to get them past operating temp and they certainly won't be consistent from lap to lap, due to heat, after your first track day or two. They're phenominal street tires, but they just aren't anywhere near track tires.

With that said, I'm going out tomorrow on my MPSS because I'm dying to try the new GS out, but I'm willing to bet I can get 2 laps, max, running at 80% (track day pace) before they're oily and crap. I'll probably be running at 50% out there all day.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:57 PM
Charlie27
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nitto nto1

With 18" rims
I've used these several track days on my z51 and I'm happy with the traction and replacement cost

C6 Z06 rims work well if you can find a set
Old 07-08-2017, 06:06 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by village idiot
Neither MPSS or S-04 are track day tires. It's very easy to get them past operating temp and they certainly won't be consistent from lap to lap, due to heat, after your first track day or two. They're phenominal street tires, but they just aren't anywhere near track tires.

With that said, I'm going out tomorrow on my MPSS because I'm dying to try the new GS out, but I'm willing to bet I can get 2 laps, max, running at 80% (track day pace) before they're oily and crap. I'll probably be running at 50% out there all day.
​​​​​​I was surprised at how long MPSS tires last. Many people do track days on them with no complaints. Sure they aren't going to set track records but so surprisingly well.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:10 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
​​​​​​I was surprised at how long MPSS tires last. Many people do track days on them with no complaints. Sure they aren't going to set track records but so surprisingly well.
I couldn't do two laps without them getting greasy.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:25 AM
Citation
Racer

The S-04 are getting greasy as my driving improves. To be fair they are about half worn.

From what I read on reviews here and elsewhere, both the Cup 2 and RE71R begin to fall off after a few laps. I guess its a matter of perspective compared to what? Compared to perfection, maybe. Compared to street performance tires, probably. I have to think that the Cup 2 and RE71R will tolerate the heat better than any of the alternatives.

The RE71 is available only available in one size larger, but when you look at the actual measurements they are almost identical to the OEM size Goodyear. For the front the RE71R is available in 255/35-19, two sizes larger but again in actual specs its a small difference. It appears the Goodyear tires physically larger than other brands of the same size.

The new Michelin PS4S is available in both original Z51 size, and one size larger front and rear. Cost seems to be about the same as the PSS. An online interview with Michelin said a new version of the Cup 2 is under development because the performance of the PS4S is so close.

Last edited by Citation; 07-09-2017 at 12:27 AM.
Old 07-09-2017, 03:52 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

In my experience, RS3s did not get greasy, and they were somewhat consistent at the track thoughout even long sessions.

I think your real problem is the fact that you would like to use 19"/20" OEM wheels, which limit your choices. Once you go down to 18"/19" sizes (like base Corvettes until '17), you will have many more choices.

Going back to the question, NT01s seem to be great tires for track use, since they're pretty cheap, yet provide near-r-compound traction without much warm-up required. They're also pretty good at the streets; just don't drive it if it's raining hard, or through the puddles : )
Old 07-09-2017, 01:15 PM
BoomersNRBC7
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have had good experiences with triple 8's and NT 01's on other cars but sizes are pretty limited for the C7.

Does anyone have experience running a square setup in 18 or 19 sizes? Or, has anyone had experience with a staggered 18/19 setup that clears the Z51 brakes?

Have had 1 track weekend out at Inde Mortorsports Ranch in Wilcox AZ and was surprised by the handling and wear of the MPSS's but would really like to get something a little bit softer in a "non-run flat" tire.

Suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:36 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

I use CCW TS12 wheels at 18x10.5 +51, 19x11.5 +83. Not just Z51, they even clear Z06 brakes, even CCBs! They're also rated at 3000 lbs load rating; you can't find many wheels in the market with such a high rating.
Old 07-09-2017, 02:05 PM
BoomersNRBC7
Heel & Toe

Thanks X25. What size tires/brand have you run? Any clearance issue (rubbing/sticking out)?
Notice you're from Redmond, WA. Moved to Tucson from Kenmore, WA. Used to do a bunch of track work with PCA, BMW, Audi, & Turn 2 at SIR, The Ridge, Oregon Raceway Park. Really miss the car community up there, particularly the track junkies.
Old 07-09-2017, 03:10 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

The new Michelin PS4S is available in both original Z51 size, and one size larger front and rear. Cost seems to be about the same as the PSS. An online interview with Michelin said a new version of the Cup 2 is under development because the performance of the PS4S is so close.
There's no way the PS4S is equivalent to the Cup2. I've found that they are no better then the MPSS from a performance perspective. The only advantage over the MPSS I see so far is they are more consistent because they seem to deal with the heat better.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:14 PM
Citation
Racer

Originally Posted by Charlie27
With 18" rims
I've used these several track days on my z51 and I'm happy with the traction and replacement cost

C6 Z06 rims work well if you can find a set
Charlie, I don't have a C6 Z06 but from what I read they are 18/19", not 18 on both ends. Is that what you meant? Using C6 Z06 rims, which are plentiful on the for-sale forum here, what size Hoosier track tires should I consider for my C7 Z51 with these wheels?

The C6 Z06 rear wheel is 19x12. Thats two inches wider than my C7 Z51 rear wheel. Sounds like just asking for clearance problems.

If I was going to use 18" front/rear to get more tire selection, is there an OEM take off from another model that would be correct, or would that be custom? I don't know much about how to specify the correct offset, or make sure I am buying the right thing. The tire part is easier, just go to the tire manufacturer specification charts. Wheel offset I'm a bit lost.

Last edited by Citation; 07-09-2017 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:36 PM
baron95
Racer

Received 271 Likes on 140 Posts

I'm using PS4S this season.

They are much, much better on the street than PSS RF (no chatter when cold, quieter, smoother). They are slightly better than PSS RF on track from a grip standpoint, but they are measurably better from a wear and heat tolerance point of view. I think I may be able to get almost 50% more track day miles out of them (6-7 track days vs 4-5 track days).

As they wear they become squealers on track - makes you sound like the beginners that go understating through the turns, but the squealing does not seem to accelerate wear or overheat them. I wonder if anyone else has notice the same thing as they get to the last 1/3 of their useful life.

P.S. Obviously, the downsize is that if you have a flat tire, you are done. I carry a compressor, sealant, plugs, but I know those things are often useless for the types of flats we tend to get - usually cut sidewall from the giant northeast potholes.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:00 PM
BoomersNRBC7
Heel & Toe

Citation, you & I are trying to do the same thing: better tire selection while running wheels that won't create problems with clearance. Other important factor to consider is overall diameter to appease the "nanny gods" so that you DON'T get all these warnings or limp mode. (yes, I still use nannies. Track sport 1 setting)
Old 07-09-2017, 07:50 PM
konqueror5
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Just did autocross for the first time today on stock MPSS RF 19/20 sizes. I did decent for a first time but there was another C7 there that destroyed my time. He is a much better driver but he was also running some bridgestone Pole positions (I think). I'm sure he'd make better times in my car (driver mod) but he said the tires definitely help and I'm a believer. I like the MPSS on the street but for autocross, especially a miata club event (smaller track), there was room for improvement on traction.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:18 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BoomersNRBC7
Thanks X25. What size tires/brand have you run? Any clearance issue (rubbing/sticking out)?
Notice you're from Redmond, WA. Moved to Tucson from Kenmore, WA. Used to do a bunch of track work with PCA, BMW, Audi, & Turn 2 at SIR, The Ridge, Oregon Raceway Park. Really miss the car community up there, particularly the track junkies.
Sorry to hear that you left our neighborhood. Indeed, it's a good place to live for track enthusiasts. I frequent Ridge and ORP : )

I did run NT02 275/35/18 and 305/30/19, and had no rubbing issues, anywhere. Later, I switched to 315/30/18F 325/30/19R tires, which didn't rub at the street, but all four corners rubbed at the track due to additional traction causing too much lean in corners with stock suspension. I switched to much stiffer LG G2 coilovers with LG sway bars, and problem was solved again, along with a big drop in lap times.

Regarding C6 or C7 Z06 wheels: their offset are for wide body, and they will not fit (they will stick out by about 1"). You can use my wheel specs as a starting point (don't stick out more than my wheels, since the spec keeps the wheels as much outside as possible to maximize inside clearance with my rather wide wheels).

Last edited by X25; 07-09-2017 at 08:20 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 tires for track days

Old 07-09-2017, 09:08 PM
Citation
Racer

The Toyo R888R are available in the correct Z71 size for the rear, but the front only comes in a 235/35-19 instead of the stock 245. Looking at the actual tire manufacturer specifications, the Toyo 235 is only 0.3" narrower and 0.3" less diameter.

If I go with the RE71R, I can go to a 255/35-19 front and gain 0.4" width and only pick up 0.2" diameter. Those are small amounts but compared to the smaller R88R thats 0.7" difference in width, a significant amount.

The stock rear size is 285/30-20. The MPSS, Cup2, and RE71R all come in a 295 which is 0.5" wider, but only 0.2" more diameter. Again these are tire mfr specs.

I'm going to give the RE71R a try. I think they'll do as well as the Cup 2, and are a lot cheaper. I respect that some say the RE71R fall off when hot, but thats got to come at much higher temps than the S-01 I have now, or the MPSS. I've read similar comments on the Cup 2. Lets face it these are not pure race tires.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:24 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by baron95
I'm using PS4S this season.

They are much, much better on the street than PSS RF (no chatter when cold, quieter, smoother). They are slightly better than PSS RF on track from a grip standpoint, but they are measurably better from a wear and heat tolerance point of view. I think I may be able to get almost 50% more track day miles out of them (6-7 track days vs 4-5 track days).

As they wear they become squealers on track - makes you sound like the beginners that go understating through the turns, but the squealing does not seem to accelerate wear or overheat them. I wonder if anyone else has notice the same thing as they get to the last 1/3 of their useful life.

P.S. Obviously, the downsize is that if you have a flat tire, you are done. I carry a compressor, sealant, plugs, but I know those things are often useless for the types of flats we tend to get - usually cut sidewall from the giant northeast potholes.
My times with the PS4S are the same as the PSS, so I really don't see an improvement there. However, for me they were really noisy when new, not as bad as they have worn. I haven't gotten this set low yet, so I'll see if they get noisy again.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:32 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

The Toyo R888R are available in the correct Z71 size for the rear, but the front only comes in a 235/35-19 instead of the stock 245. Looking at the actual tire manufacturer specifications, the Toyo 235 is only 0.3" narrower and 0.3" less diameter.

If I go with the RE71R, I can go to a 255/35-19 front and gain 0.4" width and only pick up 0.2" diameter. Those are small amounts but compared to the smaller R88R thats 0.7" difference in width, a significant amount.

The stock rear size is 285/30-20. The MPSS, Cup2, and RE71R all come in a 295 which is 0.5" wider, but only 0.2" more diameter. Again these are tire mfr specs.

I'm going to give the RE71R a try. I think they'll do as well as the Cup 2, and are a lot cheaper. I respect that some say the RE71R fall off when hot, but thats got to come at much higher temps than the S-01 I have now, or the MPSS. I've read similar comments on the Cup 2. Lets face it these are not pure race tires.
just remember, no wet track days. Look at tread width measurements, even though the tires have the same "size" they vary largely in actual width. Also, the rears for r888r are not correct. 285/35 is not the stock z51 size. too tall.

We don't have choices for the 20"rears. that's the problem. Need to do 18/19. I really wish I didn't have to buy wheels because the z51 wheels are so nice but it seems that's the only choice for track day tires.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 07-10-2017 at 05:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Z51 tires for track days