Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

How long between applying a second coat of Rejex?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 11:04 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Default How long between applying a second coat of Rejex?

Instructions say to wait 12 hours so it 'cures' but would it be OK to apply a 2nd coat within 6 or 7 hours after the 1st application? Or just be patient and let it cure the full 12 hours?

I did the clay bar first and then applied the Rejex to my little blue Vette earlier today....

Old 07-14-2017, 12:39 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

12 hours to properly cure.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:11 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,923 Likes on 4,809 Posts

^^^^^ I agree wait the full 12 hours.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:22 AM
ETM
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Didn't want to start a new thread but my question is related to Rejex. I had my paint clean and polished before I applied Rejex. I used Mother`s Pure Polish followed by a Glaze. Then I applied the Rejex. It seemed on the Clamshell {hood} and the rear deck area to have an oily, streaky residue after I wiped the product off.

It wasn't that hot here in the Sacramento area last weekend. I think perhaps I applied too much product? I have used Rejex in the past and I don't remember having this issue. I like the protection that Rejex offers and the way it makes the paint look usually.

Anyone else experience this?
Old 09-21-2017, 03:04 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Originally Posted by ETM
Didn't want to start a new thread but my question is related to Rejex. I had my paint clean and polished before I applied Rejex. I used Mother`s Pure Polish followed by a Glaze. Then I applied the Rejex. It seemed on the Clamshell {hood} and the rear deck area to have an oily, streaky residue after I wiped the product off.

It wasn't that hot here in the Sacramento area last weekend. I think perhaps I applied too much product? I have used Rejex in the past and I don't remember having this issue. I like the protection that Rejex offers and the way it makes the paint look usually.

If applied with a DA buffer you should not have a streaking issue. What has happened is the streaks are caused by inconstant application resulting is heavier application in some areas causing the streaking. To fix, remove the Rejex from the entire panel with Isopropyl Alcohol and re-apply the Rejex.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:51 PM
ETM
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
If applied with a DA buffer you should not have a streaking issue. What has happened is the streaks are caused by inconstant application resulting is heavier application in some areas causing the streaking. To fix, remove the Rejex from the entire panel with Isopropyl Alcohol and re-apply the Rejex.
Ok. Thank You. I figured it may have been an error on my part. I did apply it by hand.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:29 AM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by ETM

Do not apply sealants over a glaze.......

There is nothing to adhere to, zero surface bonding......

Finish with a glaze or wax product, less durable LSPs......
Old 09-22-2017, 05:16 PM
ETM
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dave1
Do not apply sealants over a glaze.......

There is nothing to adhere to, zero surface bonding......

Finish with a glaze or wax product, less durable LSPs......
Ok. So a Carnauba Wax would be the right product?
Old 09-22-2017, 08:44 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Originally Posted by ETM
Ok. So a Carnauba Wax would be the right product?
Yes, Rejex then wax after the 12 hour Rejex cure time.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:51 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,191 Posts

How about the amount of time that you leave the Rejex on the car to dry? I know that some products (Auto Glym Extra Gloss Protection comes to mind) actually say that the longer you leave it on the car before removing it (up to a certain point) the more it cures. So they say to leave it on at least 30-60 minutes (and even overnight if possible) in order to fully bond before you buff it off. Would the same apply to Rejex or can you buff it off as soon as it dries and still have it be just as durable?
Old 09-22-2017, 10:42 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Originally Posted by Patman
How about the amount of time that you leave the Rejex on the car to dry? I know that some products (Auto Glym Extra Gloss Protection comes to mind) actually say that the longer you leave it on the car before removing it (up to a certain point) the more it cures. So they say to leave it on at least 30-60 minutes (and even overnight if possible) in order to fully bond before you buff it off. Would the same apply to Rejex or can you buff it off as soon as it dries and still have it be just as durable?
The 12 hour cure time is the minimum. I have left it on for 24 hours with no ill affects. I don't know if the longer cure time adds to any protection. worst case doesn't add anything, best case you may get some added protection and bonding but not much according to Autogeek technical people. The key is to have the surface completely clean before you apply the Regex. Use Isopropal Alcohol to completely remove and polish oils that may be present to assure a good bonding surface.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:59 PM
Patman
Race Director

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
The key is to have the surface completely clean before you apply the Regex. Use Isopropal Alcohol to completely remove and polish oils that may be present to assure a good bonding surface.
When my new C7 arrives my plan is to first clay bar it, then to go over the entire car with 3D HD polish in order to remove any minor imperfections, then I will top it off with a couple of coats of Rejex.

Because it will rarely see rain, I figure that from that point on I will just need to add a couple of coats of Rejex about twice a year and hopefully that should offer great protection and a decent shine. (I'm not looking for a show car finish but I do like my cars to look new as long as possible)
Old 09-23-2017, 07:21 PM
ETM
Melting Slicks

Once Rejex has been applied and had the proper time to cure can you then put a product over it? Is there any benefit to it? Either a wax or a glaze?
Old 09-23-2017, 11:22 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Originally Posted by Patman
When my new C7 arrives my plan is to first clay bar it, then to go over the entire car with 3D HD polish in order to remove any minor imperfections, then I will top it off with a couple of coats of Rejex.

Because it will rarely see rain, I figure that from that point on I will just need to add a couple of coats of Rejex about twice a year and hopefully that should offer great protection and a decent shine. (I'm not looking for a show car finish but I do like my cars to look new as long as possible)
After assembly the cars set on the back lot of the plant until made ready for transport to the dealer. sometimes this can be several weeks that they are subject to the acid rain and fallout from the plant and atmosphere. I would recommend clay bar and then polish and seal. Be sure you clean the surface with IPA or Final Inspection which gives a perfect surface free of any polishing oils for the sealer to bond.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:58 AM
Patman
Race Director

Because of the new procedures for assembly of the C7, the ones being built for the first little while after the plant reopens will be subject to a 4 week hold for QC before being released. I thought that during this time my car would be wrapped in the white cover but I found out it's not wrapped until later. So my new car will now need clay more than ever! (I'm going to use one of those clay mitts actually, they are much faster to use)

Get notified of new replies

To How long between applying a second coat of Rejex?

Quick Reply: How long between applying a second coat of Rejex?