Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 05:32 PM
mydreamvette
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help! In Error Code Hell!!!!

Hello All,

Need help. 2003 Z06, 27K miles.

Drivers door controls all dead.....car runs fine...but then started acting all crazy in the dash where all gauges except speedo and tach appearing dead and lots of messages popping up on dash. Radio and AC dead as well (HOT ride home here in FLA).

I got home, squeezed the accordion grommet on door multiple times where window finally went up (forgot to mention I put it down but then switches all went dead). Now door controls dead again but at least window up.

Just ran codes and got the below (long list):
PCM
P1626 H

TCS
U1301H
U1016H

BCM
B0605H
U1255H
U1016H
U1096H

58-SDM
U1301H
U1096H

60-IPC
U1255H
U1016H
U1064H
U1040H
U1088H
U1176H
U1160H

80-Radio
U1064H
U1016H
U1096H

HVAC
U1064H
U1096H
U1255H
B0361HC

LDCM
No Codes

A1-RDCM
U1064H
U1096H

A6-SCM
U1300H
U1255H
U1016H
U1064H

BO-RFA
U1255H
U1064H
U1096H

Cleared All codes above and then got these below, drivers door still dead but again, car still runs fine:

60-IPC
U1160H

99HVAC
U1160AC
B0361H
B0441H

BO-RFA
U1096H

Any help is greatly appreciated to put me on the correct path as I am at a loss on where to start. Car has run fine before this incident. No modifications except Corsa axel back and MGW short shifter plus preventative LCM and skip shift eliminator.

Thanks in advance!!!!
Old 07-14-2017, 06:18 PM
DanSavage
Safety Car

Received 175 Likes on 77 Posts

Check the page 4 of this thread.

It sounds like your driver-side door plug has a bad connections.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ow-inop-4.html

Specifically, This post: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1588450111

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
...Most of the time, the female pins in the 6 wire power plug spread apart and make a POOR connection. That poor connection causes the DCM to turn ON & OFF rapidly and that corrupts the serial data bus.

You have to fix the female pins and get them to grip the male pin properly. Use a pin pull test to check all the female pins with a spare male pin...

Last edited by DanSavage; 07-14-2017 at 06:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JBB (07-26-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 06:34 PM
mydreamvette
Intermediate

FANTASTIC Dan!

I pulled the accordion loose at the body and pulled the wires out. I just wiggled it all and stuck it back in for trial and everything works with no codes being thrown so that must be it. Couple of follow up questions if ok with you:

1) I noticed that the wires were wrapped in a orange electrical tape...do you think that is factory or did a prior owner try to do something (or perhaps dealer)? IGNORE, I SAW THAT THE TAPE IS NORMAL

2) My door lock on the drivers side doesn't work all of the time with the fob or the door switch...do you think this indicates that the door control module is also bad or perhaps the culprit ....OR perhaps the wires themselves are shorted/not connecting in the plug and causing it not to work (I am guessing the pins are the issue but would like your thoughts)?

Thanks again....I will read through the other posts now.

Originally Posted by DanSavage
Check the page 4 of this thread.

It sounds like your driver-side door plug has a bad connections.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ow-inop-4.html

Specifically, This post: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1588450111

Last edited by mydreamvette; 07-14-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:44 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

if you decide you need a door control module or wiring harness shoot me a PM I have both for sale.....

good luck...I HATE electrical issues
Old 07-16-2017, 10:16 AM
mydreamvette
Intermediate

Is there a post or picture on how to replace the wiring connector "pins"? Bill mentions possibly using a dental pick to bend it back, but his post also states to replace the pin if possible and I cannot see how to do that? Also, where would you go to buy new individual "pins"?
Old 07-20-2017, 07:47 PM
mydreamvette
Intermediate

Anyone have the answer to this question?

Is there a post or picture on how to replace the wiring connector "pins"? Bill mentions possibly using a dental pick to bend it back, but his post also states to replace the pin if possible and I cannot see how to do that? Also, where would you go to buy new individual "pins"?
Old 07-20-2017, 08:11 PM
001pewter
Race Director

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts
St.. Jude Donor '17-'18

Originally Posted by mydreamvette
Anyone have the answer to this question?

If it's the pin I'm thinking of, there's a place to press on one side to slide it out. Once out you can cut it off, strip some of the wire and crimp on a new one. Post a pick and that would help out some.

Edit: Make sure you can get a new one before cutting anything.

Last edited by 001pewter; 07-20-2017 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:41 PM
mydreamvette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 001pewter
If it's the pin I'm thinking of, there's a place to press on one side to slide it out. Once out you can cut it off, strip some of the wire and crimp on a new one. Post a pick and that would help out some.

Edit: Make sure you can get a new one before cutting anything.
here is a pic of my plug. The connections look ok but can someone confirm from their perspective if I should try bending them to firm them up?

Old 07-25-2017, 05:57 PM
001pewter
Race Director

St.. Jude Donor '17-'18

That should be the direction to bend them. Get a dental pick or something similar and get it behind the part that looks kinda rolled over. The five on each side bend the same way. They bend pretty easy so do get crazy with it. Just get the pick in and pull down alittle.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:37 PM
001pewter
Race Director

St.. Jude Donor '17-'18

Thanks 8vette7 for clearing that up and the pics. I haven't been in mine for awhile and didn't even remember there was a black plug.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:11 PM
mydreamvette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
The BLUE connector is NOT the cause of your symptoms.......

The BLACK connector has the appearance of the Serial Data Buss which causes your symptoms when the connections are not good.

The blue connector has Audio related wiring and the automatic day/night mirror wiring:

Blue Connector

Attachment 48117568

Black Connector

Attachment 48117567
well now I'm very confused because the blue plug is the one I pulled apart and messed with the pins and reassembled. Afterward everything worked and the error codes cleared and did not return. Perhaps it's coincidental. I'll wait to see if I get the issues again and then try the other plug. Perhaps moving things around temporarily fixed the black serial plug......
Old 07-26-2017, 12:39 AM
Ducati Guy
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

I have what seems to be the same issue. Sometimes all is well. Then suddenly all hell breaks loose with my gauges and DTC messages. Did not try any of the door switches. But going to assume they are dead also when this happens. If I shut the car off and restart all is ok. But then after awhile (varies) the whole thing goes nuts again.

I will admit that i posted this question a few weeks back. Was given the same advice about the door plug inside the A pillar. Never did anything about it because the issue 'seemed' to have gone away. That is until this past weekend. Obviously it is time to fish out the black plug and look for pins that are not making a good connection.

From what i am reading here and seeing it does not look difficult.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:56 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter99
if you decide you need a door control module or wiring harness shoot me a PM I have both for sale.....

good luck...I HATE electrical issues
Me too.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:51 AM
Ducati Guy
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
I remember your post and I seem to recall replying something along the lines that you were "sticking your head in the sand" if you thought the problem was gone for good...............

This black plug in the A-Pillar is a very common issue on the C5 but many choose not to accept that fact............. And NOT just the plug on the drivers side. There is an identical plug on the passenger side. It is usually less of an issue because the passenger door gets used far less than the drivers door so the plug is not disturbed as often. The Serial Data Buss is a service shared/used by EVERY sensor/computer in the car. So when noise or errors are introduced by rapidly making and breaking of the electrical connection, ANY SYMPTOM is possible but usually there are numerous "loss of communication" errors or numerous totally unexpected/unexplained codes that get set.

There have even been a few threads by members that have replaced the poorly designed GM plug with an aftermarket plug because of recurring problems with the factory plug.

Don't know if Bill Curlee, resident Forum electrical wizard, discovered the cause of the symptoms or not but it is he that has written up the issue many, many times in his "electrical sticky" in the Tech Forums here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tion-long.html
Yep...that was me...........the guy with sand in his hair. Gonna get after it this weekend. As soon as i shake all the sand out of my hair and ears!!!

Thanks for the info and the 'push'.

Get notified of new replies

To Help! In Error Code Hell!!!!

Quick Reply: Help! In Error Code Hell!!!!