C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't Get Plug Wires Loose....

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 03:18 PM
GroundFlyer
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

Default Can't Get Plug Wires Loose....

Hi all! I'm in a bind and live in the boonies of upstate NY, near the Canadian border. Nobody that I know is into Vettes up here. I have a 2001 Black and Tan vert w/62000. I don't know if previous owner changed plugs so I figured after 16 yrs, why not. I can't get a grip on the plug wire because of what looks like a heat shield (tube) around the plug boot. Does that have to come off first or does it stay. The exposed 1/2 " of plug boot isn't enough to grab. I tried searches and came up empty. I guess it's a foregone conclusion that the wires are going to get damaged when removed. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:10 AM
oharal
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 219 Posts

The little tube comes with the plug wire. The wire should just pull off though. It can be tough to get them off especially when you're on the driver side and the AIR tube is in your way. I have done it a few times and even with my lousy grip they eventually come off. Just pull hard. If you use a tool, you'll probably tear the boot.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:52 PM
foggy
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Many times they break at the plug side.. IT's not like the factory put dielectric grease
on them !!
You SHOULD !!
So grab some wires TOO !!
They are many years old
Old 07-19-2017, 06:43 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Go to Autozone.
Ask for plug wire pliers/pullers
problem solved.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:12 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

On the internet, go to Harbor Freight and order the 12" needle nose pliers. Its under $10.00.
Be prepared to purchase a new set of wires. GMPP are wires of choice.

Last edited by runner140*; 07-20-2017 at 07:14 AM. Reason: add
Old 07-21-2017, 11:21 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

I got the cheap plug boot puller and it sucks. Pony up for the good one. Twisting back and forth will help, but know that the wire inside won't twist with. You will destroy a couple wires as others have indicated. I went with the GMPP wires myself.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:29 PM
GroundFlyer
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '19

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
I got the cheap plug boot puller and it sucks. Pony up for the good one. Twisting back and forth will help, but know that the wire inside won't twist with. You will destroy a couple wires as others have indicated. I went with the GMPP wires myself.
All good advice, thanks. Will order iridium plugs and GMPP reds. Frank
Old 07-22-2017, 05:11 PM
My Vette Life
Safety Car

Received 240 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by GroundFlyer
Hi all! I'm in a bind and live in the boonies of upstate NY, near the Canadian border. Nobody that I know is into Vettes up here. I have a 2001 Black and Tan vert w/62000. I don't know if previous owner changed plugs so I figured after 16 yrs, why not. I can't get a grip on the plug wire because of what looks like a heat shield (tube) around the plug boot. Does that have to come off first or does it stay. The exposed 1/2 " of plug boot isn't enough to grab. I tried searches and came up empty. I guess it's a foregone conclusion that the wires are going to get damaged when removed. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:50 PM
kalayaan12
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

The whole process is a genuine PIA pretty much...

I replaced my original plugs and wires that had been on for some 14 years and went with NGK Iridium's and red GM wires - it felt (to me) like a huge improvement overall.

Somehow I thought it would be easier the second time around when I did it again after the new set of plugs and wires had been on for only 5 years. It was still a struggle... I should've used dielectric grease as others have indicated, lesson learned!

The driver side is more challenging than the passenger side due to the AIR plumbing and power brake unit constantly being in the way. You can un-clamp the AIR tubing and vacuum line to the brake booster and move things around in order to give you some more room if you need it. Same with the alternator (it's just two bolts) to get to the #1 cylinder better, but I was putting headers on at the time and can't remember if this was really does much for just the spark plug change.

The metal canister (heat shield) doesn't stay on the cylinder head, it should come off with the spark plug wire. Don't try to pull by just the wire itself - but since its probably time for new wires anyway, it probably won't hurt order new ones in advance and have them ready (I got mine from Cultrag).

Do not over-torque the plugs! 11 lb. ft isn't much, and stripping the threads would really be a bummer!

Jeff
Old 07-22-2017, 09:30 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,309 Likes on 13,980 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
Go to Autozone.
Ask for plug wire pliers/pullers
problem solved.
I used a plug wire puller when I did the plugs in my '00 and it worked great. Did not damage on wire in the process.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:21 PM
GroundFlyer
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '19

Thanks for the advice. Video was great Nurburgring. Thanks to all. Will be ordering plugs and wires this week. ......:thumbs
Old 07-23-2017, 01:28 AM
My Vette Life
Safety Car

Received 240 Likes on 186 Posts

Thanks for the advice. Video was great Nurburgring. Thanks to all. Will be ordering plugs and wires this week. ......:thumbs
Thanks!
Old 07-23-2017, 07:13 AM
Ed_78Vette
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently replaced all the plugs and wires. I know exactly the pain your in. The shield is in the way, but I was able to overcome one royal pain in the a@s removal. I used a piece of string, wrapped it around the boot end and patiently pulled as straight as possible for several minutes. At last, mission successful.

Get notified of new replies

To Can't Get Plug Wires Loose....

Quick Reply: Can't Get Plug Wires Loose....