Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

MSD Intake - Issue with 3 bolts on top.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 08:52 PM
lamboworld
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 122 Posts
Default MSD Intake - Issue with 3 bolts on top.

I am having an issue with spinning one of the nuts that is pushed in the plastic when trying to tighten one of these bolts. I can tighten it a little bit but not nearly 75 in/lbs. It also seems like one of the bolts is bottoming out. I imagine that others have experienced this problem and I am curious what solution you used to fix it.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:47 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

The last time I heard this one, the issue was they supplied incorrect diameter bolts, which didn't allow for the fastener to tighten. You could check the bottom bolts, compare them to the top (assuming the bottoms are correct, of course.).

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 07-17-2017 at 11:48 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:16 AM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 374 Likes on 299 Posts

On mine I got slightly thicker washers or a combination of 2 thinner ones to take up slack which is like .020-.030 or so.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:58 AM
JaredW
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Had an issue with mine, The first of the 3 would bottom out and allow the washer to spin. Talked to Mamo about it and he suggested the addition of a rubber washer under the metal one, did so and all is good with mine now!
Old 07-19-2017, 09:12 AM
lamboworld
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JaredW
Had an issue with mine, The first of the 3 would bottom out and allow the washer to spin. Talked to Mamo about it and he suggested the addition of a rubber washer under the metal one, did so and all is good with mine now!

Interesting that you say that, because that is exactly what I ended up doing. However, one of the pushed in nuts will spin before 75 in/lbs so I am going to have to remove it and reinstall with some epoxy at some point. It is good enough for now.

Hopefully this will help someone else with this issue.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:44 PM
ZO6FL
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Are you folks speaking of the center bolt closest to the firewall?
Can you just back that bolt out and shim it without taking it off the car?
Thanks!
Old 07-20-2017, 08:20 PM
JaredW
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ZO6FL
Are you folks speaking of the center bolt closest to the firewall?
Can you just back that bolt out and shim it without taking it off the car?
Thanks!
My issue was with the one closest to the Throttle Body, but it applies to the other as well, with the exception of the one under the fuel rail obliviously. I backed mine out, put in the rubber washer and re torqued.
The following users liked this post:
ZO6FL (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 08:33 PM
lamboworld
Burning Brakes

Here is the deal. MSD originally sent me bolts that were too long and those bolts hit the bottom and caused the pressed in nuts to loosen up slightly. I contacted MSD about the long bolts and they shipped me new ones about a year ago but the damage was already done to the nuts. I had to remove my Intake this week and basically the nuts were too loose to tighten up properly. I removed two of the nuts today and drilled the hole just slightly bigger than the nut. I used some epoxy in the holes and put the nuts back in. I used epoxy on the outside of the nut and about 1/4 up the threads. Hopefully this will hold.

Unfortunately, this is not a serviceable part as they cannot be removed.

MSD was going to warranty my intake and send me a new one, but that is not an option since my Intake Mamo ported.
The following users liked this post:
ZO6FL (07-20-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 04:29 PM
jitsu10
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default same here

Same thing happened to me.stripped out the nuts trying to get to 75 pounds.I sent it back for a new one but never received an explanation.Still havent tried to install again.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:19 PM
ratomicZ06
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by lamboworld
Here is the deal. MSD originally sent me bolts that were too long and those bolts hit the bottom and caused the pressed in nuts to loosen up slightly. I contacted MSD about the long bolts and they shipped me new ones about a year ago but the damage was already done to the nuts. I had to remove my Intake this week and basically the nuts were too loose to tighten up properly. I removed two of the nuts today and drilled the hole just slightly bigger than the nut. I used some epoxy in the holes and put the nuts back in. I used epoxy on the outside of the nut and about 1/4 up the threads. Hopefully this will hold.

Unfortunately, this is not a serviceable part as they cannot be removed.

MSD was going to warranty my intake and send me a new one, but that is not an option since my Intake Mamo ported.
Jeez, all the threads on fitment issues, supplied hardware..... inexcuseable for a manufacturer in the supposedly "High Performance" market. One reason i havent bit yet for this, but will once i hear more positives. Wrong length bolts is just plain stupid.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:28 PM
lamboworld
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ratomicZ06
Jeez, all the threads on fitment issues, supplied hardware..... inexcuseable for a manufacturer in the supposedly "High Performance" market. One reason i havent bit yet for this, but will once i hear more positives. Wrong length bolts is just plain stupid.
These top bolts are poorly designed. They use inserts that I assume are just heated and pressed in. It seems to me that if you are going to use this design that you would want the insert to have a flange at the bottom of the thread and actually molded into the plastic to keep them from pulling out. My epoxy fix did not work, so I have purchased some EZ LOK inserts that should fix my problem.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:21 PM
lamboworld
Burning Brakes

So I finally got around to addressing this issue and found a very good solution. You will need to buy the following:

1 pack E-Z Lok 240-5-BR
1 pack 5/16-18 X 1/2"
1 pack 5/16 washers. I used 7/8

You will first need to remove the threaded inserts on your MSD. If yours is spinning like mine then it won't be too difficult to remove them.

Next you will need to drill a 3/8" hole for the new inserts.

Lastly, press in the inserts. They are tight and I used a socket and hit them in with a hammer.

I used three washers per bolt and I was able to get the bolts nice and tight.
Attached Images  
The following 2 users liked this post by lamboworld:
Landru (11-07-2017), redcycle13 (11-06-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 08:10 AM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 422 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by ratomicZ06
Yup - poor design in my opinion, I removed mine. Bolt-on should not cause 'growling' from the firewall requiring modification, or twice having a severe bouncing idle which is not fun with a stick stop-light to stop-light getting so close to a stall, or even having to grind at the water pump.............just not fun for the 30-35 hp on the street. If I would consider another intake again, would consider the FAST intake but would thoroughly read reviews first. MSD was a disappointment for me.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:56 AM
lamboworld
Burning Brakes

I haven't had any issues with my MSD hitting the firewall and the only problems that I have experienced are these top bolts and the bolts that hold the top to the bottom loosening. If you don't want to deal with the possible MSD drama than you should consider this Intake:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ffort-n-a.html

See post #17
Old 11-07-2017, 09:31 AM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 422 Likes on 257 Posts

^^^
............or stock
Old 11-07-2017, 10:55 AM
redcycle13
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

It is a little aggravating to have to continually check for loose fasteners on the MSD intake, but its still worth the gains in my opinion. Once the intake is all setup properly tightening the bolts a few times is not that big of a deal. Ive only had to do it once since my install, and I've put around 1000 miles on it.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:52 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by lamboworld
I haven't had any issues with my MSD hitting the firewall and the only problems that I have experienced are these top bolts and the bolts that hold the top to the bottom loosening. If you don't want to deal with the possible MSD drama than you should consider this Intake:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ffort-n-a.html

See post #17
Needs more results to be compared to that of a Fast/MSD IMO. Everywhere from stock-ish C6Z's, all the way up to max effort builds.

Get notified of new replies

To MSD Intake - Issue with 3 bolts on top.

Quick Reply: MSD Intake - Issue with 3 bolts on top.