C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Please Help! Exposed Tire Belt Car has 10k on it

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 08:05 PM
j4kethedog
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help! Exposed Tire Belt Car has 10k on it

2016 M7 Z06. I take meticulous care of the car and removed the wheels to wash them today and found this on the inside-side of my right front tire! I do not track my car or do burnouts and have never taken any turn hard enough to break the front tires loose one bit.

My question is: Is this likely a result of bad camber/factory alignment and should I try to get a new tire from the dealership for free (if they will even do that) as well as have them "fix" the alignment? The car rides great...

OR

Is this most likely the result of (something that google turned up VERY little info on) having driven home some 150 miles with the left rear tire unknowingly running flat (screw in the tire)? I'm not even sure it was flat for that whole drive, just found out the next morning when the computer dinged it. Since having the left rear fixed I haven't sensed any abnormalities in the ride.

The reason I am asking is because I avoid bringing the car into the dealer at all costs. If it's 90%+ likely that the left rear flat caused this then I'll simply bring the wheel in to have the tire replaced rather than let someone else put his hands on my baby...

Also, if this is the case, I just need to replace the one tire, right? Or do I need to replace both fronts? As I said the car has 10k on it. The left front is barely worn and they were rotated at 7,500 miles as the manual says.

Thank you in advance for any guidance on this issue!
Old 07-18-2017, 09:59 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...500-miles.html
The following users liked this post:
tail_lights (07-19-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 10:02 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

not at all surprised...
Old 07-18-2017, 10:17 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,422 Likes on 1,597 Posts

I've seen a few threads on this recently. Unfortunately it probably will not be covered under warranty. I doubt that your flat, as you described, caused the wear. Nonetheless, it certainly wouldn't hurt to try... GL.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:39 PM
schaibaa
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts

If the other side is barely worn and you aren't driving it hard, get a new tire and a good alignment.

My fronts were corded around 6500 miles but I try to keep all tires sliding at all times
Old 07-18-2017, 10:44 PM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

Received 1,050 Likes on 660 Posts

I have the DSC street/track alignment. Corded the fronts at 8K miles, rears were at the wear bars at just over 10K. You do get 1 courtesy alignment from your dealer, however it's useless without the rear camber adjustment. I had mine done at the dealer and saw/felt no improvement. After the DSC alignment I noticed a huge difference but hard to determine what was the alignment worth and what was their controller. Don't care really, just know that it's better.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:19 AM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 733 Likes on 481 Posts

These cars are delivered with marginal alignments from the factory imho, especially given the performance characteristics of the car. Every owner should have the alignment checked upon delivery, and if your dealership doesn't know how to set a performance alignment including the rear caster, find an independent shop that can.

As for your tyre issue: no doubt camber or toe was incorrect and the tyre is now junk. I strongly doubt given the miles you have on the car that you'll be offered any form of compensation at the dealership; I wouldn't even ask. Just buy a new tyre or better yet a set of four; get an accurate alignment, and go on enjoying the car.

Bish
Old 07-19-2017, 10:54 AM
scott76807
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Also, if this is the case, I just need to replace the one tire, right? Or do I need to replace both fronts? As I said the car has 10k on it. The left front is barely worn and they were rotated at 7,500 miles as the manual says.

I would check all 4, my fronts were both toast on the inside treat @ 10,000 miles and the rears followed a few hundred miles later.

dealer did a 4 wheel alignment for 149.00 .
Old 07-19-2017, 01:10 PM
Gkabc7
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default dsc

I got these specs from dsc they recommend this setup wit or or without there mod.C7-Setup-Alignment-sheets1 (1).pdf
Old 07-19-2017, 01:16 PM
Gkabc7
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check with thebishman he was kind enough to turn me onto dsc and no doubt has far for expertise in this matter.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:30 PM
j4kethedog
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for the helpful replies! Further inspection of the left front revealed what looks like the cord getting ready to come through on that side as well. Will take it to the dealer for alignment.

Those that had this problem: did the alignment help? I understand this is an expensive car but even if money was not an issue I'd feel baddd spending 2k on tires every year...ridiculous!!

Meanwhile my Subaru sti with 30k and multiple episodes of on and off road drifting spinning all 4 tires is looking like those will go at least another 15k.

There's gotta be a better answer than just 'have it aligned and throw on a new set of run flats.' Many forums I checked mentioned how run flat technology isn't 'there' yet. Is there a conventional equivalent to the Michelins that fits the Z06's wheels? Sorry if that question has been answered elsewhere. You guys have been super helpful and I'd like to know your thoughts on replacing and aligning vs. aligning and switching to a more durable tire.

Thanks
Old 07-19-2017, 02:36 PM
TXRR
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was told these tires only last 6k miles. Your way past that.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:52 PM
EMINENT 1
Drifting

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Sounds about right. I had the same issue at 10k where fronts went first which I thought was a flat and turned out corded insides. Rears same and only lasted a few hundred more. No alignment. I have one now on the new set. We'll see how long these last. They're about to be rotated at 5k miles on the new set too. Hopefully helping extend life too.

Last edited by EMINENT 1; 07-19-2017 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:53 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by j4kethedog
Thank you all for the helpful replies! Further inspection of the left front revealed what looks like the cord getting ready to come through on that side as well. Will take it to the dealer for alignment.

Those that had this problem: did the alignment help? I understand this is an expensive car but even if money was not an issue I'd feel baddd spending 2k on tires every year...ridiculous!!

Meanwhile my Subaru sti with 30k and multiple episodes of on and off road drifting spinning all 4 tires is looking like those will go at least another 15k.

There's gotta be a better answer than just 'have it aligned and throw on a new set of run flats.' Many forums I checked mentioned how run flat technology isn't 'there' yet. Is there a conventional equivalent to the Michelins that fits the Z06's wheels? Sorry if that question has been answered elsewhere. You guys have been super helpful and I'd like to know your thoughts on replacing and aligning vs. aligning and switching to a more durable tire.

Thanks
Part of what makes this car handle so well is the specific tyre that Michelin developed for GM for the C7 Z06. It is not the same type of technology that allows you to expect to get 40K miles out of a set of tyres you throw on your SUV at Costco.

That being said, your car, since the front tyres didn't wear evenly, no doubt has/had an alignment issue. Just because it seemed to handle benignly on the street and tracked straight didn't mean that the alignment wasn't off; it obviously was.

Check your rear tyres well. If they're still OK with >1/2th of the tread left, you certainly could get by with just replacing both fronts. Anything less than that and I'd replace all four.

Regardless you will probably manage to get a good 15K-20K miles out of these tyres if all you do is drive the car on the street, and don't enjoy spinning up the rears, just because you can.

There are non-RFT versions of the MPSS tyres that others here have placed on the car. They may well allow the car to be more compliant from a ride standpoint. As to whether they will last longer; I can't say.

Last thing: just because your dealership performed an alignment it doesn't mean that it is accurate. Check the tyres often and IF you are noticing any wear issues other than even wear rates across the tread surface, have the alignment checked.

Again, I can't say enough about the specs of the DSC alignment. Even their street specs are what I'd highly recommend.

Good luck,

Bish
Old 07-19-2017, 03:07 PM
mdz06vetter
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by thebishman
Part of what makes this car handle so well is the specific tyre that Michelin developed for GM for the C7 Z06. It is not the same type of technology that allows you to expect to get 40K miles out of a set of tyres you throw on your SUV at Costco.

That being said, your car, since the front tyres didn't wear evenly, no doubt has/had an alignment issue. Just because it seemed to handle benignly on the street and tracked straight didn't mean that the alignment wasn't off; it obviously was.

Check your rear tyres well. If they're still OK with >1/2th of the tread left, you certainly could get by with just replacing both fronts. Anything less than that and I'd replace all four.

Regardless you will probably manage to get a good 15K-20K miles out of these tyres if all you do is drive the car on the street, and don't enjoy spinning up the rears, just because you can.

There are non-RFT versions of the MPSS tyres that others here have placed on the car. They may well allow the car to be more compliant from a ride standpoint. As to whether they will last longer; I can't say.

Last thing: just because your dealership performed an alignment it doesn't mean that it is accurate. Check the tyres often and IF you are noticing any wear issues other than even wear rates across the tread surface, have the alignment checked.

Again, I can't say enough about the specs of the DSC alignment. Even their street specs are what I'd highly recommend.

Good luck,

Bish
Old 07-19-2017, 03:19 PM
cdh027
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman

Good luck,

Bish
Bish,

Would you know if I would be able to achieve DSC's street specs with a lowered on stock bolts Z07?
Old 07-19-2017, 03:53 PM
mdz06vetter
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by cdh027
Bish,

Would you know if I would be able to achieve DSC's street specs with a lowered on stock bolts Z07?
check the following as DSC recommends stock height

http://www.dscsport.com/wp-content/u...ent-sheets.pdf

Get notified of new replies

To Please Help! Exposed Tire Belt Car has 10k on it

Old 07-19-2017, 04:11 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

Just replaced mine at 17k miles. All 4 tires were worn more on the inside but passenger rear and front were corded big time. I noticed it on the rear since you can see those a bit easier but the front was worse. What sucks is from the outer tread the tires, all of them, looked barely worn. This was with a dealer alignment done at 7k miles.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:54 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cdh027
Bish,

You can easily attain the DSC 'Street' alignment specs even when lowered all the way on the stock bolts. In fact when the car is lowered in that fashion it is even easier to attain greater degrees of negative camber.

DSC, as one of the above posters mentioned, does state that they recommend that the car be at OEM height, but that is primarily in order for the shocks to be able to perform at their optimum when running on track. You'll have no issues running their Street alignment when lowered as the settings aren't very aggressive.

Bish
The following 2 users liked this post by thebishman:
BWFitz (07-20-2017), tail_lights (07-19-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 08:39 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,143 Posts

You can get a car aligned and a week later its out of alignment. I lowed my car, had the alignment checked right after I bought it. Have tracked the heck out of it and my tires looked like the OPs after 8K miles. I was please with the results.

Quick Reply: Please Help! Exposed Tire Belt Car has 10k on it