Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] High speed wobble

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 08:24 AM
CAJUN KEN
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default High speed wobble

Need some advise about a high speed wobble on a 09 Z06. Car has been lowered and I am running PSS tires.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:33 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

What is the DOT date code on the MPSS? There was a bad batch around 2012 that causes this wobble. Happened to mine at the track at around 140mph. New tires fixed it.

Also check the alignment, axle nuts, lug nuts, tire pressure.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:41 AM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Received 378 Likes on 265 Posts

have your read up on the aero lift of the C6 Z06?
Old 07-19-2017, 08:41 AM
CAJUN KEN
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mordeth
What is the DOT date code on the MPSS? There was a bad batch around 2012 that causes this wobble. Happened to mine at the track at around 140mph. New tires fixed it.

Not sure about the tire date code.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:44 AM
CAJUN KEN
Intermediate

No, Don't know anything about aero lift. Going to the alignment shop Friday to have things checked out. I've read a lot of bad things about the MPSS tires,
Old 07-19-2017, 08:46 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Originally Posted by CAJUN KEN
Not sure about the tire date code.
It is on the side of the tire. Will say "DOT" and then some numbers. At the end are 4 numbers. For example it might say 1612. Which means it was made in the 16th week of 2012. So go look at them.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:48 AM
CAJUN KEN
Intermediate

It is on the side of the tire. Will say "DOT" and then some numbers. At the end are 4 numbers. For example it might say 1612. Which means it was made in the 16th week of 2012. So go look at them.
Thanks, Will do after work.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:21 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

I am running the MPSS's up front and the CupII's out back... Nothing but smooooth sailing... As Mordeath said, check the DOT codes... Alignment won't help if those codes reflect one of the bad years of production.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:38 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS
have your read up on the aero lift of the C6 Z06?
Aero lift on stock C6 Z06 with good alignment is modest and no control problems at 190+ MPH. I have over 400 miles at 150+ with stock aero, much on cruise control. Far better control than 60's-70's muscle cars at 100 MPH.

Last edited by AzDave47; 07-19-2017 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:32 AM
Cha_Cha
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Up the pressure on the tires to 34psi cold. Seems to eliminate nasty wobble I got on the MPSS. I do also recommended becoming buddies with alignment shop to be sure that isnt what your chasing.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:10 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Listen to this man- he knows what he's talking about. I had the same problem with the same tires, manufactured during that time span. I re-torqued the axle nuts, had the alignment checked, and had the tires re-balanced. No improvement. Then I opened a claim with Michelin and took the tires to Discount Tire where I bought them. They measured tread depth and gave me a great price break on a new set. Problem solved.

If your DOT code puts you in that time window I'd just call Michelin directly to discuss it. They were very good about helping me out but I read another guy's tale here where they didn't help him. However, he told them he was tracking his car and that's probably what made the difference.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:23 PM
CAJUN KEN
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Les
Listen to this man- he knows what he's talking about. I had the same problem with the same tires, manufactured during that time span. I re-torqued the axle nuts, had the alignment checked, and had the tires re-balanced. No improvement. Then I opened a claim with Michelin and took the tires to Discount Tire where I bought them. They measured tread depth and gave me a great price break on a new set. Problem solved.

If your DOT code puts you in that time window I'd just call Michelin directly to discuss it. They were very good about helping me out but I read another guy's tale here where they didn't help him. However, he told them he was tracking his car and that's probably what made the difference.
Cant wait to check the date code when I get home.
What about the lowering bolts being uneven, will that affect the corner weight of the car and possibly cause the wobble?
Old 07-19-2017, 02:25 PM
LS1Andrew
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Les

Same issue here, and I can almost guarantee that's what you are experiencing.

My new set of MPSS have been great. Wobble instantly removed by swapping tires.

Good luck! Hope you can get a partial discount back.
The following users liked this post:
CAJUN KEN (07-19-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 02:43 PM
long_tall_texan
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Here is another thing that may be causing the problem. I ran into this with mine after lowering. I lowered all the way down in front and back on stock bolts. Took it in for a re-alignment after lowering. After that, I would get pretty squirrely around the 100 MPH mark. Rear would start wobbling. Alignment re-checked, and it was good. After a lot of reading, I found a useful tidbit regarding the proper rake angle for correct aero. Front should be 1/4 inch lower than rear. Side to side should be within 1/16 inch. Measure front from the ground to bottom of rocker right behind front tire. Measure rear from ground to bottom of rocker just in front of rear tire. I found that mine was practically even / flat front to back, and had a little side to side variation too. I adjusted the side to side to be as close to even as I could, and set the front to rear right at 1/4" rake. Wobble went away immediately. I still took it back for a re-alignment again after changing ride height, but the proper rake fixed the wobble for me. Mine was on brand new Michelin PSS tires at the time.

Last edited by long_tall_texan; 07-19-2017 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:30 PM
CAJUN KEN
Intermediate

Originally Posted by long_tall_texan
Here is another thing that may be causing the problem. I ran into this with mine after lowering. I lowered all the way down in front and back on stock bolts. Took it in for a re-alignment after lowering. After that, I would get pretty squirrely around the 100 MPH mark. Rear would start wobbling. Alignment re-checked, and it was good. After a lot of reading, I found a useful tidbit regarding the proper rake angle for correct aero. Front should be 1/4 inch lower than rear. Side to side should be within 1/16 inch. Measure front from the ground to bottom of rocker right behind front tire. Measure rear from ground to bottom of rocker just in front of rear tire. I found that mine was practically even / flat front to back, and had a little side to side variation too. I adjusted the side to side to be as close to even as I could, and set the front to rear right at 1/4" rake. Wobble went away immediately. I still took it back for a re-alignment again after changing ride height, but the proper rake fixed the wobble for me. Mine was on brand new Michelin PSS tires at the time.
Thanks, That's definitely something to look at.
The following users liked this post:
Stittsville Z06 (07-22-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 03:31 AM
C 5
No Time!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I had an issue with MPSS couple years ago. It would get a bad wobble when the driveline got jolted at WOT. Happened when you upshift hard, or hit an expansion joint, etc. felt like slickwalk. I ended up switching shocks, getting an alignment, messing with endless tire pressure settings,nothing worked. Then I switched my rear tires and it went away. Not to say the MPSS are bad tires, I have them on every vehicle, they are about the best street tire money can buy. Just a bad batch set. Contact Michelin (they have an amazing service) and they may cover you.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:23 AM
CAJUN KEN
Intermediate

What's weird is it has only done it those couple of times at hard acceleration. Brought it up to 145 mph yesterday slowly with no problems. Pretty scary not knowing if you'll get a wobble at that speed.

Get notified of new replies

To High speed wobble

Old 07-20-2017, 09:25 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

Originally Posted by CAJUN KEN
What's weird is it has only done it those couple of times at hard acceleration. Brought it up to 145 mph yesterday slowly with no problems. Pretty scary not knowing if you'll get a wobble at that speed.
Scary knowing you will get that problem at that speed with MT ET SS 325/30-19's in the half mile. I know I won't run those MTs in the mile or 1 1/2 mile events.

Last edited by AzDave47; 07-20-2017 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:07 AM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 634 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by AzDave47
Scary knowing you will get that problem at that speed with MT ET SS 325/30-19's in the half mile. I know I won't run those MTs in the mile or 1 1/2 mile events.
I think I'm going to get the R888R's for the 1/2 mile events. I might event run my Hoosier R7's as they are considerably lighter than the R888R's in the same size
Old 07-20-2017, 12:39 PM
CAJUN KEN
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AzDave47
Did that happen to you?

Quick Reply: [Z06] High speed wobble