C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GS owners with non run flats please chime in..

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 10:30 AM
GrandSportRob
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 160 Posts

Default GS owners with non run flats please chime in..

Was looking at 2 options for my GS: Michelin Pilot Super Sport & Hankook Ventos V12 EVO2. Who has either of these and how do you like them? Did you get a new street alignment? What kind of mileage could I expect from either of them? My stock run craps are balding at 9500 miles & I do not want run flats again.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:49 AM
itomh
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandSportRob
Was looking at 2 options for my GS: Michelin Pilot Super Sport & Hankook Ventos V12 EVO2. Who has either of these and how do you like them? Did you get a new street alignment? What kind of mileage could I expect from either of them? My stock run craps are balding at 9500 miles & I do not want run flats again.
I love my Hankook Ventos V12 EVO2 on my C6 Z06. Quiet, smooth, nice hook up. 3,000 miles and no complaints from me. I don't track the car, so I have no input on that. Drove it 600 miles in the rain the day I bought it to get it back home without any issues. I'm sure I will get 13K out of these for my driving style.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:11 PM
Adam Cifonelli
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 56 Posts

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...SortCode=58165

The Michelin Pilot Super Sport are cheaper right now than the Hankooks right now! 850 for all 4! Thats a steal!

Last edited by Adam Cifonelli; 07-19-2017 at 12:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LoganExplosion (07-20-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 12:26 PM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 142 Posts

Get your alignment corrected to the Pfadt street settings and check out Continental Extreme Contact Sport or ContiSportContact 5p (replacement for the ExtremeContact DW).

Last edited by RC4G; 07-19-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:33 PM
jost6453
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 150 Posts

I've had the Michelins on for a year. Love them. Sticky and they ride great ..... but no flats ... yet.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:34 PM
OldCorvetteFan
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

I have about 20k on my Michelin Super Pilot Sports. When I first got them, they hooked up really well (they were new on the car when I got it in April 2014). They don't hook up nearly as well - I can feel the rear getting a bit loose on a hard shift from 2nd to 3rd, and I don't like it!

However, I didn't feel like they were very good in the rain. My 1995 coupe had Goodyear Eagle GS-D3, and they were an excellent rain tire (as well as an excellent dry tire).

The Michelin's are also noisier than I thought they would be.

Even though they are priced really well right now, if I had to buy new tires, I'd probably go with the Hankooks or Contis.

Steven
Old 07-19-2017, 12:40 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by OldCorvetteFan
I have about 20k on my Michelin Super Pilot Sports. When I first got them, they hooked up really well (they were new on the car when I got it in April 2014). They don't hook up nearly as well - I can feel the rear getting a bit loose on a hard shift from 2nd to 3rd, and I don't like it!

However, I didn't feel like they were very good in the rain. My 1995 coupe had Goodyear Eagle GS-D3, and they were an excellent rain tire (as well as an excellent dry tire).

Even though they are priced really well right now, if I had to buy new tires, I'd probably go with the Hankooks or Contis.

Steven
Interesting. Did they loose grip gradually over time, or was it all of a sudden ? How much tread depth do you have left ?
I have the Contis on my GS and have been very happy with them, but it is always good to know about firsthand experience with other tires.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:47 PM
dmk0210
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 107 Posts

I've been driving my GS on Pilot Supersports and the Pfadt street alignment since March. I love them.

I take the opposite viewpoint from OldCorvetteFan and feel that they are very quiet in the dry (though I have the loud NPP exhaust with the fuse pulled) and have very confidence inspiring rain performance. I've driven in quite a few very heavy rains this year and have not felt any hydroplaning, even at 60mph. The dry grip on the tight and technical back roads is amazing. I don't think they will wear well though. I'm hard on tires due to how I favor technical back roads. I figure two or three years (maybe 10-15,000 miles) and they will need to be replaced.

I also have the new Continental Extreme Contact Sports on my WRX (replacing a three year old set of Pilot Super Sports). These are also very good tires with excellent wet performance. I think these tires are just as good as the Michelins. The WRX doesn't have the neutral handling performance of the GS though so I can't confidently push them as hard on the street.

Last edited by dmk0210; 07-19-2017 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:01 PM
61X
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

At 9500 miles make sure you check the "insides" of your front tires. I was shocked at the cords I saw at less miles than that.
I put on Michelins with the street alignment and have been very happy. About a month ago I had a slow leak on the RR. The puncture was right on the radius and the tire company would not patch it. I bought two new rear tires. When I checked how many miles were on the old rear tires I was surprised that it was already 14,500. They look like they could go 14,000 + miles.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:22 PM
Ronald Koch Jr.
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I got the street alignment shortly after buying my GS. The Goodyear run flats wore out before 15k miles. I went with Hankooks and have been very happy. 👍

Ron
Old 07-19-2017, 04:10 PM
OldCorvetteFan
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Patsgarage
Interesting. Did they loose grip gradually over time, or was it all of a sudden ? How much tread depth do you have left ?
I have the Contis on my GS and have been very happy with them, but it is always good to know about firsthand experience with other tires.
I had the Pfadt street alignment performed within a month or two of getting the car in April 2014.

During the driving season in 2014 and 2015 (April thru October), I thought their dry performance was fine. Hard launching from first or second was met with solid grip and no fishtail or looseness.

During June 2014, we were caught in a thunderstorm near the Dells in Wisconsin. The car did not feel 'happy' at all - it was unsettled and seemingly all over the place. I was pretty surprised by that, since all the reviews I read indicated that the tire was considered good for rain. But in my opinion it was night and day between the Goodyear Eagles (on my C4) and the Michelin Pilots.

About midway through the season last year, I was accelerating (2nd gear) in a spot that's on my way to work. As I was rolling into the throttle, it felt like the back end loosened up - as if it was beginning to fishtail. Temperature was probably mid 70s, and I'd been driving for approximately 20 minutes.

I've had two or three more experiences like that - a few more last year, and a couple this year.

In fact, at this point I wouldn't want to give it full throttle even if I was rolling into it. I don't want to be one of those guys on Youtube!

I checked the tread depth in May, and I was in good shape all around (I don't recall the exact depths, but they were all in the green on my gage).

Steven
Patsgarage (07-19-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 05:45 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by itomh
I love my Hankook Ventos V12 EVO2 on my C6 Z06. Quiet, smooth, nice hook up. 3,000 miles and no complaints from me. I don't track the car, so I have no input on that. Drove it 600 miles in the rain the day I bought it to get it back home without any issues. I'm sure I will get 13K out of these for my driving style.
They look better , ride better, and are quieter than my Nittos were plus they go straight which I never could get the others to do. Had them road force balanced and smooth ride is there I would buy them again
NSF
airmed2 (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 09:28 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by OldCorvetteFan

Steven
I had the same issue with Michelin, near the last half of tread life. Also had it with Coopers and now having it with Nittos. Meaning, it is in the 90's here in Florida, and I will lose traction in a straight line 2nd gear pull when I get in the 4k rpms under full throttle. Nice to show off with, but I like 100% traction all the time.

I'm going back to the Bridgestone Potenza Pole Positions, even though they are runflats, they gave very good traction all the way to the end of tread life, and handled as well (or better) on the street than all others mention above that I've tried so far. They would barely spin in 2nd on WET roads

They were specifically designed for the Z06, and I'm close to that power lever with my LS3.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:43 AM
Michael Gordon
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Hankooks Ventos V12 EVO2 on my GS and they seem to work pretty good. both dry and wet. I was on the track at the NCM Motorsports Park in April and the only issue I had was they were very air pressure sensitive. I had too much air in them and they heated up and didn't grip so well. Lowered the pressure and they came alive. But I think I would prefer a different tire for the track.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:16 AM
LoganExplosion
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Cifonelli
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...SortCode=58165

The Michelin Pilot Super Sport are cheaper right now than the Hankooks right now! 850 for all 4! Thats a steal!
I'd never seen prices so low for MPSS tires! Thanks for sharing! About to order some fresh rears right now! Sorry for yelling.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:00 AM
2L8LUZ
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Here ya go!! I'm sure on the street alignment you should see higher tread life and more grip as the tires are always planted flat on the road surface... Had mine done 2 weeks ago..big difference in steering controls!!

I'm sure many of these horror stories of bad tread life would have been different if they used the Pfadt specs

Set and never look back!!

Last edited by 2L8LUZ; 07-20-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Mensan150 (07-21-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 01:13 PM
duckvett
Safety Car

Received 920 Likes on 465 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2018 C6 of Year Winner

I am on the second set of Michelin Super Sports on our `10 Grand Sport. I replaced the entire set at 24,000 miles due to an alignment issue that wore the inside edge of the fronts down to the cords. Rears were in excellent condition, but I always replace all four at one time. That's just me, YMMV. I had the alignment corrected to street specs with the new set.

I can't compare road noise or traction to OEM Goodyears as the Michelin SS were new on the car when we bought it, but I am very happy with the Michelins.

I carry a small (Griot's) 12V compressor in the car in case of a puncture.

Get notified of new replies

To GS owners with non run flats please chime in..

Old 07-20-2017, 06:02 PM
Adam Cifonelli
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by LoganExplosion
I'd never seen prices so low for MPSS tires! Thanks for sharing! About to order some fresh rears right now! Sorry for yelling.
NP. Glad to help.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:08 PM
airmed2
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
They look better , ride better, and are quieter than my Nittos were plus they go straight which I never could get the others to do. Had them road force balanced and smooth ride is there I would buy them again
NSF
Completely agree with this. I have 14000 miles on mine and they almost show no wear. They do track straight, and they provide me with exactly what I want from this car.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:10 PM
airmed2
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 190 Posts

Also, I prefer the Hankook over the Michelin due to the tread wear rating.

Quick Reply: GS owners with non run flats please chime in..