C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Need help with Ignition control module pigtail

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 02:08 PM
Sfcsb1
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help with Ignition control module pigtail

I was trying to fix some wires up and it was a little to dark and made some mistakes. Looking for a pic or wiring diagram

Old 07-19-2017, 07:36 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by Sfcsb1
I was trying to fix some wires up and it was a little to dark and made some mistakes. Looking for a pic or wiring diagram

I would first start out with a replacement ICS plug weather you get it from a Good Donor car or New from a parts store are up to you either way give yourself extra wire to make staggered splices.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:53 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

To be helped you'll first need to mention the year and I'd think wise maybe to consider the purchase of a correct FSM for this time and into the future. The "butt connector" need to go and you need to learn some correct splicing techniques.

WHAT YEAR?

Some of the wire colors at first glance don't look familiar but maybe knowing the year will sort. What are the wire colors? Mention color and stripe if there are striped tracers on them.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:06 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 701 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
To be helped you'll first need to mention the year and I'd think wise maybe to consider the purchase of a correct FSM for this time and into the future. The "butt connector" need to go and you need to learn some correct splicing techniques.

WHAT YEAR?

Some of the wire colors at first glance don't look familiar but maybe knowing the year will sort. What are the wire colors? Mention color and stripe if there are striped tracers on them.
w/ WVZR-1 on this one -- WHAT YEAR???

digging into the OP's profile and some previous posts, it looks like he's having issues with a 1996, so with that, here's my 2 cents. first of all, the electrical connector in the OP's original pic looks beyond repair. the locking tab appears to be broken, and what's left of the wiring is insufficient for repair. my solution, FWIW, a new AC Delco (repair) pigtail. from the pic, it looks to be part number PT2296 -

on to the wiring. I don't have a lot of experience with 96 LT components or the wiring, but looking into my 96 FSM and searching for the "ignition control module," this keeps popping up - ignition coil module. I don't know if i'm out in left field on this one, or there's some sort of mis-labelling in the FSM, or what, but the same applies when searching the C4 tech forum. anyway, here's what I came up with -

as WVZR-1 said, there's something the colors, but then again, I may be totally off base here. here's a cut and paste from an old thread on the subject...

Originally Posted by tobijohn
I've got the 1996 FSM (book II) open in my lap and I'm still looking but the Ignition Coil removal procedure references "disconnecting the four terminal connector at the ignition control module (ICM)."

Look on page 6-277 and see if the schematic there is any help...
(page 6-277 just happens to be the page referenced in my pic)

finally, don't take any of my reply as gospel - it's just my best guess with the limited info supplied. the OP may have to dig a little deeper into this repair. I hope the suggestion on the repair pigtail helps.

edit: BTW, the pigtail should be available locally or from rockauto at around $20... http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....217555&jsn=452 there's actually a NOS piece on fleabay for $15 shipped....

Last edited by Joe C; 07-26-2017 at 07:26 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:24 PM
Sfcsb1
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joe C
w/ WVZR-1 on this one -- WHAT YEAR???

digging into the OP's profile and some previous posts, it looks like he's having issues with a 1996, so with that, here's my 2 cents. first of all, the electrical connector in the OP's original pic looks beyond repair. the locking tab appears to be broken, and what's left of the wiring is insufficient for repair. my solution, FWIW, a new AC Delco (repair) pigtail. from the pic, it looks to be part number PT2296 -

on to the wiring. I don't have a lot of experience with 96 LT components or the wiring, but looking into my 96 FSM and searching for the "ignition control module," this keeps popping up - ignition coil module. I don't know if i'm out in left field on this one, or there's some sort of mis-labelling in the FSM, or what, but the same applies when searching the C4 tech forum. anyway, here's what I came up with -

as WVZR-1 said, there's something the colors, but then again, I may be totally off base here. here's a cut and paste from an old thread on the subject...

(page 6-277 just happens to be the page referenced in my pic)

finally, don't take any of my reply as gospel - it's just my best guess with the limited info supplied. the OP may have to dig a little deeper into this repair. I hope the suggestion on the repair pigtail helps.

edit: BTW, the pigtail should be available locally or from rockauto at around $20... http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....217555&jsn=452 there's actually a NOS piece on fleabay for $15 shipped....

hey thanks I know I need a pigtail I was chasing down some other peoblems.why waiting to receive it. It is mislabeled I got it fixed well enough to fix my other problem. 250,000 miles on a wiring harness will cause issues now and again..
Old 07-25-2017, 06:28 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 701 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Sfcsb1
250,000 miles on a wiring harness will cause issues now and again.
ain't that the truth -

Get notified of new replies

To Need help with Ignition control module pigtail

Quick Reply: Need help with Ignition control module pigtail