Sponsored by:

2nd owner warranty question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 05:40 PM
holyvette
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd owner warranty question.

I have a 2014 corvette Z51 with under 10K miles.I am smelling gas when I park in my garage. I took the car to the dealer on June 5, 2017 and told him about the problem. His response was to do the 2 recalls that are still open on the car and see if that fixes the problem. The dealer was only able to fix 1 recall because they had to order a part. He said they would notify me when the part came in. The recall that they could not fix was related to something with the gas tank. I was not called back. After the smell got worse, I took my car back to the dealer, 07/13/2017, and he stated that the part was now in and he did not know why they had not called me. His response to the smell of gas was the same as the first time I took the car in." Take care of the recall and see if that fixes the problem." The next day he notified me that the recall had been done, but it did not take care of the gas problem. I am the second owner of the car and I bought it from a Ford dealership. My 3 year warranty expired on July 2, 2017. The dealer told me that i was no longer covered by warranty and he wanted $1700.00 to drop the gas tank and see what the problem was. Should I be covered by warranty since I originally took the car in when the warranty was not expired? Thanks for any advice you can give.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:45 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,076 Likes on 6,173 Posts

I believe it should be covered since you reported it prior to the expiration of the warranty and they attempted but failed to fix the issue. But what do I know...
The following 3 users liked this post by Zymurgy:
Foosh (07-19-2017), holyvette (07-19-2017), kenownr (07-21-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 07:26 PM
Oskee
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 81 Posts

I would call customer service at GM and explain to them that you told the dealer about the gas smell while it was still under warranty and also tell them that the dealer did the 2 open recalls and it did not fix the problem.

If you had the dealer document your complaint while under warranty that should proof enough. If GM denies your warranty claim there is always a chance they might do a courtesy warranty and split the cost .

Hope this helps
The following users liked this post:
holyvette (07-19-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 08:02 PM
RonC7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,298 Likes on 859 Posts

There is a "special warranty" for some fuel system issues good for 5 yr. The service bulletin is 2014-2015-corvette-service-bulletin-16009-primary-tank-inlet-check-valve-fuel-and-vapor-leaks.

Don't know if this is your problem or not, but take a look:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...eaks-1312.html

Good Luck!

Ron
The following 2 users liked this post by RonC7:
holyvette (07-19-2017), Zymurgy (07-19-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 09:06 PM
holyvette
8th Gear

Originally Posted by RonC7
There is a "special warranty" for some fuel system issues good for 5 yr. The service bulletin is 2014-2015-corvette-service-bulletin-16009-primary-tank-inlet-check-valve-fuel-and-vapor-leaks.

Don't know if this is your problem or not, but take a look:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...eaks-1312.html

Good Luck!

Ron
Wow! Why would my dealer not Know this?
Old 07-19-2017, 09:37 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

The ignorance of dealers knows no bounds.
The following 3 users liked this post by Gearhead Jim:
astaggs (07-21-2017), holyvette (07-19-2017), Rebel Yell (07-22-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 09:48 PM
RonC7
Melting Slicks

You would hope the Chevy service writers kept up on all bulletins on all models - but that is probably not realistic on a model that they don't see daily.

There are a lot of gear heads on the forum with personal experience or knowledge and others that have good recall of posted service bulletins, etc. We are all still learning together.

Welcome aboard!

Ron
holyvette (07-19-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 11:06 PM
holyvette
8th Gear

I called GM customer service and they took my information and gave me a reference #. They said an executive senior something would call me in 1-2 business days. Thanks a lot for the helpful information. The dealership did say that they did not do service on many Corvettes. I might think about taking it to another dealership once i get things resolved. I just want it fixed correct and I would like GM to honor the warranty. The additional information I have gathered on this forum should definitely help.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:32 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

I had the same issue with my car that resulted in repeated visits to my dealer for a fix. It required dropping both tanks and replacing the fuel sending unit. Good luck with your repair.
holyvette (07-19-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 11:41 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
I believe it should be covered since you reported it prior to the expiration of the warranty and they attempted but failed to fix the issue. But what do I know...
This is exactly correct. It is not your problem that you had to wait for parts, and the problem WAS reported prior to warranty expiration.
holyvette (07-19-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 11:53 PM
holyvette
8th Gear

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
I had the same issue with my car that resulted in repeated visits to my dealer for a fix. It required dropping both tanks and replacing the fuel sending unit. Good luck with your repair.
Did your dealer cover the repairs? Do you mind me asking if they charged you anything? The special coverage adjustment bulletin 16009 might apply to mine. Hopefully, I will know more tomorrow. Thanks for your reply.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:20 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

I'm familiar with RMORIN1249's case. His was fully covered under warranty, and it should be fully covered at no cost to you. You went in w/ a gas smell prior to warranty expiration, and they failed to fix the problem prior to warranty expiration.

It's an open and shut case that you could win in any court without a lawyer. All you'd have to do is show the first service invoice date, and then the documents showing date of warranty expiration. If the first service for the problem predates the warranty expiration, you win.

Of course, GM knows this full well, so I don't think you'll have a fight on your hands.

Last edited by Foosh; 07-20-2017 at 12:24 AM.
holyvette (07-20-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 12:41 PM
holyvette
8th Gear

UPDATE: I got a call from the dealership that has my car. I gave them the special coverage adjustment 16009. i called them back and was told that they ran my VIN and that does not apply to my vehicle and they had to have $1700 to drop the fuel tank. They are telling me that they are not going back to my June 5 work order because it does not mention the gas smell. Wow. I am blown away. All I ask is that they do the right thing and I am holding out hope that they will. It does not look good. I still have not heard from the person from GM customer service that was going to call back in 1-2 business days. Hopefully I will hear from him today. I will continue to update the situation. Thanks for all the comments..
Old 07-21-2017, 12:53 PM
kenownr
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

Sorry that really sucks!! I hope you get it resolved and GM should step up to the plate and get your issue taken care of.
holyvette (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 12:58 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by holyvette
I have a 2014 corvette Z51 with under 10K miles.I am smelling gas when I park in my garage. I took the car to the dealer on June 5, 2017 and told him about the problem. His response was to do the 2 recalls that are still open on the car and see if that fixes the problem. The dealer was only able to fix 1 recall because they had to order a part. He said they would notify me when the part came in. The recall that they could not fix was related to something with the gas tank. I was not called back. After the smell got worse, I took my car back to the dealer, 07/13/2017, and he stated that the part was now in and he did not know why they had not called me. His response to the smell of gas was the same as the first time I took the car in." Take care of the recall and see if that fixes the problem." The next day he notified me that the recall had been done, but it did not take care of the gas problem. I am the second owner of the car and I bought it from a Ford dealership. My 3 year warranty expired on July 2, 2017. The dealer told me that i was no longer covered by warranty and he wanted $1700.00 to drop the gas tank and see what the problem was. Should I be covered by warranty since I originally took the car in when the warranty was not expired? Thanks for any advice you can give.
In your OP above in bold, you said you took the car in and told the dealer about the "gas smell." Did you?

If you did, and it's not mentioned on your service complaint, then whomever wrote it up neglected to mention it. You should be presented a copy of your service complaint when you check the car in. It's the piece of paper they make you sign when you drop off the car.

Everyone should always review those make sure the complaint is properly captured. I read them very carefully, and if they don't capture what I said, I make them do it over.

I hope for your sake you still have that paperwork. Exactly what does the service write-up say for that June 5 visit? If it doesn't say "gas smell" anywhere, that certainly complicates matters.

You also need to remind him that you had a lengthy delay on the part for the gas tank recall, which they implied would solve the gas smell problem, and that delay took you past your warranty period. Assuming your account is accurate, it was the dealer who told you to wait to see if the recall took care of the problem. That's on the dealer and GM, not you.

Tell the dealer you want the number of the GM regional rep that works with his dealership.

Last edited by Foosh; 07-21-2017 at 01:20 PM.
holyvette (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 12:58 PM
RonC7
Melting Slicks

If you go to mychevrolet.com and click on maintenance then warranty you can see if your car has Special Coverage 16009. The Service History tab may also have some info.

You can also post a request on the forum for someone with access to run Chevy history (VIS) on you VIN - this is what the dealer service department sees.

Hang in there!

Ron

Last edited by RonC7; 07-21-2017 at 12:59 PM. Reason: .
holyvette (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 01:06 PM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Even if it did not say anything about it but the only thing they did for that service was work on the gas tank, it may be arguable that the reason it was brought in was for a smell, especially if that smell still exists. Would be interesting though to know what was on the original paperwork.

Another option might be to check out another dealer.

Finally, IMHO this is a safety issue of course. I would caution on the side of safety and if you don't get what you need quickly then pay for the fix and continue to fight for reimbursement after.
holyvette (07-21-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To 2nd owner warranty question.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:08 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,309 Likes on 13,980 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Sounds like the dealer is not really going to bat for you. Hope the GM rep does better.
holyvette (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 01:08 PM
holyvette
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Foosh
In your OP above in bold, you said you took the car in and told the dealer about the "gas smell." Did you?

If you did, and it's not mentioned on your service complaint, then whomever wrote it up neglected to mention it. You should be presented a copy of your service complaint when you check the car in. It's the piece of paper they make you sign when you drop off the car.

Everyone should always review those make sure the complaint is properly captured. I read them very carefully, and if they don't capture what I said, I make them do it over.

I hope for your sake you still have that paperwork. Exactly what does the service write-up say for that June 5 visit? If it doesn't say "gas smell" anywhere, that certainly complicates matters.

You also need to remind him that you had a lengthy delay on the part for the gas tank part, and that delay took you past your warranty period. Assuming your account is accurate, it was the dealer who told you to wait to see if the recall took care of the problem. That's on the dealer and GM, not you.

Tell the dealer you want the number of the GM regional rep that works with his dealership.
Yes I told him. I am going to look for paperwork now. I was told to see if the recall fixed the problem first. They did admit that they dropped the ball and did not call me back when the part came in. I have mentioned the June 5 work several times and they do not like to talk about that. First, The service manager told me there was no record of my June 5 work and then he stated that he found it and it did not mention gas smell. I realize now that I should have looked at the order before signing. Thanks for your input. The service manager told me that he has talked to the GM regional rep. I asked if he had told the regional Rep about June 5 and the service manager said that it was not relevant and they are working off the new work order.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:14 PM
holyvette
8th Gear

Originally Posted by mountainears
Even if it did not say anything about it but the only thing they did for that service was work on the gas tank, it may be arguable that the reason it was brought in was for a smell, especially if that smell still exists. Would be interesting though to know what was on the original paperwork.

Another option might be to check out another dealer.

Finally, IMHO this is a safety issue of course. I would caution on the side of safety and if you don't get what you need quickly then pay for the fix and continue to fight for reimbursement after.
That is what I have done. I have authorized them to drop the tank at a $1700.00 charge. That was yesterday morning. I have not heard from anyone today. I would have considered another dealer, but they made it sound like it was not safe to drive and I agree. I am not giving up yet and i have purposely not mentioned the dealership by name because I do not want to say anything negative until it is all done, then hopefully I waant need to say anything negative..Thanks very much for your response.

Quick Reply: 2nd owner warranty question.