Sponsored by:

Fiberglass Firewall Damage

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 11:28 PM
Scholioso
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fiberglass Firewall Damage

So, I bought my car last year, and noticed this while getting a quote to have the car painted. The idiot that previously owned the car replaced the oil pressure sensor by cutting the fiberglass of the firewall in order to fit a socket and extension down there. So my question to y'all would be how do I repair this? I've never worked with fiberglass. Is it hard to learn? Is this even workable? Suggestions? Ideas? I'm not replacing the body. Thanks.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:46 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,299 Likes on 13,972 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

It not as an uncommon way to get to and repair the oil pressure sensor as you may think. While not something I would want to do to my car (cut the fiberglass), when someone does that they can fabricate a block off plate or just carefully cut the fiberglass, save it, and use some silicone or duct tape to keep it in place. Then should you need to replace the sensor again, you just take the plate back off. As for the piece with the mesh on it, that is just a cowl cover and you can get a used one in good shape from one of the forum used parts vendors.

If you want to know more about the procedure that was done to get to the sensor by cutting the cowl, PM me your e-mail address and I can send you a file on it. It's too big to make as an attachment here on the forum.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:54 PM
Scholioso
Racer

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
It not as an uncommon way to get to and repair the oil pressure sensor as you may think. While not something I would want to do to my car (cut the fiberglass), when someone does that they can fabricate a block off plate or just carefully cut the fiberglass, save it, and use some silicone or duct tape to keep it in place. Then should you need to replace the sensor again, you just take the plate back off. As for the piece with the mesh on it, that is just a cowl cover and you can get a used one in good shape from one of the forum used parts vendors.

If you want to know more about the procedure that was done to get to the sensor by cutting the cowl, PM me your e-mail address and I can send you a file on it. It's too big to make as an attachment here on the forum.
pm'd ya. I'm more so worried about how the fiberglass is fraying. I'm not sure how to fix/stop it from doing that.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:31 AM
001pewter
Race Director

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts
St.. Jude Donor '17-'18

Originally Posted by Scholioso
pm'd ya. I'm more so worried about how the fiberglass is fraying. I'm not sure how to fix/stop it from doing that.
If it was mine I'd trim the frayed parts and mix a little resin with hardener. I'm no expert on fiberglass but done it a few times. Just my opinion.

Edit: I'd trim and just put enough resin on it to keep the ends from possibly fraying again. Either way good luck.

Last edited by 001pewter; 07-20-2017 at 08:49 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:41 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

could you not just get a new wiper cowl and trim the frayed ends of the fiberglass and just leave it be?... with the cowl in place you can't really see the cut fiberglass underneath
Old 07-20-2017, 07:23 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default Without any experience.

I suggest you not attempt this. Only because the potential to make it worse is there. The hole is already there, . You may need that access again. If it were me, I would clean up the fray with a file or dremel. I would then go to home depot or lowes to find a piece of right angle plastic... you need to use your imagination.. a piece of plastic molding, or a plastic flower box.. Cut out a piece tat will "fit cleanly. Then secure it with some silicone rtv... just enough to secure it but not so much that you can't remove it, in the event you need access. Once fitted and painted, it should look like a factory access panel. . You have to have the vision and creative skills to do this.. For me, this would be a welcome challenge to make it look like it came from the factory that way.
Good luck
Bill aka ET
Old 07-20-2017, 08:37 AM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 446 Likes on 328 Posts

You mentioned wanting to paint your car. DO NOT USE SILICONE TO MAKE YOUR REPAIR. The silicone will give your painter fits when painting your car.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:19 AM
Scholioso
Racer

Ok, thank you all for the input. From what I'm gathering, it's not as big an issue as the paint shop made it seem. I was worried that since its part of the body, cutting it made it weaker and loss of its structural integrity. But from what y'all said, apparently people do this a lot so I guess it can't be that bad. Thank you
Old 07-20-2017, 12:01 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Scholioso
But from what y'all said, apparently people do this a lot so I guess it can't be that bad. Thank you
But not like that. The way to get to the sensor from the top is to first remove the visible panel that covers the wiper mechanism, then go through the bottom of HVAC plenum to get to the sensor. Then when the sensor has been changed, fiberglass the piece you cut out back into place, give it a quick coat of black spray and replace the panel you removed.

You may well need a small puller, like a battery terminal puller, to get the wipers off. Chevy did not put any anti seize on them at assembly time, so after many tears, they really do not want to come off.

To fix this, you need a replacement for that panel, and also to rebuild any other bodywork cuts with fiberglass.

If you are new to glassing, start by going to an auto parts store and buy a kit with resin, hardener and fiberglass mat, and experiment a little. The only semi tricky thing to learn is how much hardener goes with how much resin, too little and it does not harden, too much and it hardens before you can use it. But the kits are cheap, so experiment away until you are confident before you do your repair.

Last edited by jackthelad; 07-20-2017 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:55 PM
Scholioso
Racer

Ok, I will do that. Thank you!
Old 07-21-2017, 10:34 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

Another well done DIU job. NOT!!!
Old 07-21-2017, 11:25 PM
001pewter
Race Director

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts
St.. Jude Donor '17-'18

Originally Posted by El original
Another well done DIU job. NOT!!!
Very informative. Thanks.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:34 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by 3sACROWD
You mentioned wanting to paint your car. DO NOT USE SILICONE TO MAKE YOUR REPAIR. The silicone will give your painter fits when painting your car.
Silicone contamination wouldn't be an issue as that area isn't painted.

Get notified of new replies

To Fiberglass Firewall Damage

Quick Reply: Fiberglass Firewall Damage