Sponsored by:

New car purchase out of state

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 12:56 AM
CaAzKid
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New car purchase out of state

Finally found a new 2017 Grand Sport that nearly fits my options and color requirements at a reasonable price. Here's the dilemma: The car is located near Buffalo, NY. I live in Arizona. I prefer to ship the car to my home rather than fly out and drive it back, but am concerned if there are scratches on the exterior or blemishes on the interior, they will not be resolved with the local dealer after I purchase it from the NY dealer. What is the best way to contact a local Forum member to look over the car both inside and out before I pay for the car? Obviously, I'm not worried about any issues which can be resolve by the warranty. Could someone help me out?
Old 07-20-2017, 07:47 AM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

For round trip airfare and other expenses, I'll be glad to inspect the car for you.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:14 AM
7LitreC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 646 Likes on 388 Posts

I remotely purchased my current C7 and recently purchased a ZL1 remotely. I had both cars shipped to my house that they arrived in perfect condition.

You can post in the regional forum and ask if someone can look at the car for you. I have inspected a car for a forum member before that had asked in the local to me regional forum.
The following users liked this post:
CaAzKid (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 09:19 AM
Lonegun
Advanced

Received 68 Likes on 25 Posts

I had mine shipped in from Missouri to Texas, It arrived in perfect condition. It may be best to find out about the transport company the dealer will use, mine used a covered trailer, fitting for the race car it is!
CaAzKid (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 09:44 AM
harmonyp
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

I've purchased 3 cars out of state, 2 were new, one a collectable. I personally wouldn't be worried about a new car. But if you are, you could try posting in the regional forum section: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/northeast-40/ as well as here, to request a forum member to take a look. Get a reputable hauler!

Suggestion - you might consider a courtesy delivery to a local Chevy dealership. They'll take care of the taxes and registration for you (most likely the NY dealership will not), and you may be able to contract a deal to be able to reject the car once it arrives if it does not meet your expectations (e.g. defects).

Don't know what your smog regulations are. In CA, we need to re-smog any car purchased from out-of-state.

Last edited by harmonyp; 07-20-2017 at 09:47 AM.
CaAzKid (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 10:09 AM
Dave Hrejsa
Instructor

Received 198 Likes on 40 Posts

Fly out and drive it back.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:13 AM
Bruce_K
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I purchased mine in Iowa to MD. To the front door, a little dirty from passing rain. but she was mint.
CaAzKid (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 10:53 AM
90sundevil
Melting Slicks

Received 745 Likes on 379 Posts

I have purchased over 10 cars sight unseen, one came with a flat and the other my 07 C6Z had a damage from splitter. Make sure it is enclosed as you will get the car in perfect condition and have it put on the top rack so no drips.
CaAzKid (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 11:06 AM
Carqwik
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Have the dealer take pictures of the car (inside and out) before it gets loaded on the truck for shipping. Also, only ship enclosed. I bought mine from Kerbeck and had it shipped to AZ too (used Horseless Carriage to ship). Car arrived in perfect condition...the driver was very careful on the unloading...and considering my car was the most inexpensive one on his truck (a few McClarens and Ferraris), I felt that I made a good choice for shipping companies.
CaAzKid (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 01:29 PM
NavyBlue2
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Hrejsa
Fly out and drive it back.
Ya, & tell TSA that u bought one-way flight cause your new ride is Da Bomb!!!
Old 07-20-2017, 01:34 PM
jnc4558
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by CaAzKid
Finally found a new 2017 Grand Sport that nearly fits my options and color requirements at a reasonable price. Here's the dilemma: The car is located near Buffalo, NY. I live in Arizona. I prefer to ship the car to my home rather than fly out and drive it back, but am concerned if there are scratches on the exterior or blemishes on the interior, they will not be resolved with the local dealer after I purchase it from the NY dealer. What is the best way to contact a local Forum member to look over the car both inside and out before I pay for the car? Obviously, I'm not worried about any issues which can be resolve by the warranty. Could someone help me out?
When I had my car shipped, the driver did the inspection. He found a couple of flaws and had the dealership corrected before accepting the car. The car arrived 100% perfect.
CaAzKid (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 02:10 PM
Silver&Blue
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Im in the same boat. Looking at possibly buying out of state but this is my first corvette purchase and also first car I'm buying on my own. I feel as if I should be face to face when buying the car and picking it up. Im looking to prob get extended warranties as well and I feel being there face to face you could get a better deal etc over talking on the phone and getting everything you want. My dilemma also I'm deciding between a Z51 or GS. I've drove a base corvette but not the other two. Not sure any dealers in the DFW would let me test drive a GS? driving home would get the first few miles on it but I sure would be pissed if I got a rock chip before I got expel or whatever brand I choose on the car.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:29 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,697 Likes on 5,594 Posts

I've purchased quite a few collectible cars and a recent GS from out of state but have always inspected them first prior to having them shipped.
But having said that InterCity transport drivers do a very thorough inspection prior to loading the car, so I expect there's little risk of any surprises upon arrival.
CaAzKid (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 02:39 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Personally, I'd fly out and look at the car. Then, if you don't want to drive it back, fly back and have the car shipped.

Long story short, but I got hosed over buying a '70 Corvette from a "collector" in AZ who mis-represented the car. Basically, I over paid for the car to the tune of about $15k. I paid to have the car inspected, but, as it turns out, the inspector works for the "collector."
CaAzKid (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 02:45 PM
jnc4558
Racer

Originally Posted by Silver&Blue
Im in the same boat. Looking at possibly buying out of state but this is my first corvette purchase and also first car I'm buying on my own. I feel as if I should be face to face when buying the car and picking it up. Im looking to prob get extended warranties as well and I feel being there face to face you could get a better deal etc over talking on the phone and getting everything you want. My dilemma also I'm deciding between a Z51 or GS. I've drove a base corvette but not the other two. Not sure any dealers in the DFW would let me test drive a GS? driving home would get the first few miles on it but I sure would be pissed if I got a rock chip before I got expel or whatever brand I choose on the car.
IMO, face to face interaction does not give you a better deal. They have you there and emotions are high. You don't have a chance to cool down and more importantly, do research. Get them to agree to a price before you walk into the store. That is how I have been buying my cars for the last decade. You would have a much broader selection.

Find a local dealer that has a used GS and do a test drive. If you can afford, go with the GS.

You can get masking tape and that would protect the car during the trip back. There are several threads here talking about it. I had to wait a full month before getting Xpel installed.
Silver&Blue (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 02:47 PM
jnc4558
Racer

Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer
Personally, I'd fly out and look at the car. Then, if you don't want to drive it back, fly back and have the car shipped.

Long story short, but I got hosed over buying a '70 Corvette from a "collector" in AZ who mis-represented the car. Basically, I over paid for the car to the tune of about $15k. I paid to have the car inspected, but, as it turns out, the inspector works for the "collector."
Love your avatar Cosmo!!!

Get notified of new replies

To New car purchase out of state

Quick Reply: New car purchase out of state