Sponsored by:

2nd Post - Color Scheme

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 02:57 PM
Norcoastal
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 2nd Post - Color Scheme

I don't even have the car yet, but I'm thinking about what to paint it. It is the Silver Anniversary two-tone edition with the white oyster interior. I think that these are a dime a dozen.

It's a numbers matching 4 speed car and I don't know if I should paint it that way and keep the interior as original, or make the interior black and paint the car one solid color.

I'm leaning the latter. Paint it whatever color and get a new black leather interior.

What do you guys think?
Old 07-20-2017, 04:21 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Norcoastal
...What do you guys think?...
Why not wait until you actually have the car, then drive it the rest of the summer and get acquainted with it. You may find you like it as it is.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:58 PM
Norcoastal
Instructor

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Why not wait until you actually have the car, then drive it the rest of the summer and get acquainted with it. You may find you like it as it is.
I am absolutely going to keep it the way it is for a while. Just was curious of opinions because I'm new to the Corvette world.

I've been a Camaro guy having a '67 and a '68.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:05 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

I am absolutely going to keep it the way it is for a while. Just was curious of opinions because I'm new to the Corvette world.

I've been a Camaro guy having a '67 and a '68.
congrats on a new vette ! drive it for a while ,MAYBE some mechanical issues might arise that would use up some of the allocated paint funds first.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:06 PM
Norcoastal
Instructor

Originally Posted by bazza77
congrats on a new vette ! drive it for a while ,MAYBE some mechanical issues might arise that would use up some of the allocated paint funds first.
Fair point!
Old 07-20-2017, 09:25 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,178 Likes on 2,738 Posts

After you get the feel of it/make necessary repairs.....decide if you want to "go original" or "go resto-mod".

Have fun either way!

Old 07-20-2017, 10:08 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Originally Posted by bazza77
Originally Posted by doorgunner
After you get the feel of it/make necessary repairs.....decide if you want to "go original" or "go resto-mod".

Have fun either way!

What they said. Patience is a virtue.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:01 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...was curious of opinions because I'm new to the Corvette world...
The only opinion worth anything is your own. It'll be your car.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:57 AM
pigfarmer
Burning Brakes

Received 295 Likes on 158 Posts
Default “No Battle Plan Survives Contact With the Enemy”

I don't even have the car yet, but I'm thinking about what to paint it. It is the Silver Anniversary two-tone edition with the white oyster interior. I think that these are a dime a dozen.

It's a numbers matching 4 speed car and I don't know if I should paint it that way and keep the interior as original, or make the interior black and paint the car one solid color.

I'm leaning the latter. Paint it whatever color and get a new black leather interior.

What do you guys think?
Your car will tell you what it needs and it'll probably be stuff you hadn't thought of. Only had mine since last November and very few of my original ideas worked out the way I thought they would. It has been a lot of fun though.

For example today I'm going to lay on my back in 100 degree heat and give myself a power steering fluid facial
Old 07-21-2017, 09:03 AM
BKarol
Melting Slicks

Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

When you get the car open the driver's door and look at the trim tag. Post a pic. The top line will tell you when the trim tag was attached to the car on the assembly line (some use this as a build date) and the next line will tell you what the original exterior color was when it left the factory and what interior was in there. Since you are not the original owner there might have been some changes.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:42 AM
KingRat
Drifting

Received 867 Likes on 420 Posts

What do you guys think?

Its not really "a dime a dozen" with the 4-Speed. Just out of curiosity, why not just buy one in the color combination you want and save yourself the cost and hassle?
The following users liked this post:
Z06LMB (07-22-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 10:57 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

save the hasslee...interiors on those cars can get warm and black will make it worse

If the car was originally silver/oyster/4spdthey are not a dime a dozen and actually super desirable if you had 1st gen camaros you know what were really saying here; topped with a 4spd you got a nice car

Im not a "keep it original" guy but wiht that particular one yes
Black looks good but every old car it seems has a black interior

Think of that vette as a marina blue ss 4 spd Camaro;wish I had a few extra dollars Id buy it love that combo

Last edited by cv67; 07-21-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:12 PM
Rky Mtn C6
Le Mans Master

Received 890 Likes on 375 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C7 of the Year Finalist -- Modified

I wouldn't say the two-tone paint is a dime a dozen, however, it was the most numerous for 78. One third of all Corvettes made in 78 were the two-tone anniversary scheme. Some people will tell you the two-tone paint makes it "rare" or more valuable. That is simply not true. As stated previously, do what you want to do with it. If your intent is to make it a show car, then keep it original (IMHO). If you want to drive it and have fun, follow your dream and do with it what you want. At the end of the day it's what you think you should do, and not what other people think you should do.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:25 PM
Norcoastal
Instructor

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
What they said. Patience is a virtue.
Not my best quality and besides, thinking about and planning what you're going to do is almost as fun as doing it.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:30 PM
Norcoastal
Instructor

Originally Posted by karol
When you get the car open the driver's door and look at the trim tag. Post a pic. The top line will tell you when the trim tag was attached to the car on the assembly line (some use this as a build date) and the next line will tell you what the original exterior color was when it left the factory and what interior was in there. Since you are not the original owner there might have been some changes.
That was the first thing I did. It is originally a Silver Anniversary two-tone car with Oyster leather interior.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:30 PM
Norcoastal
Instructor

Originally Posted by KingRat
Its not really "a dime a dozen" with the 4-Speed. Just out of curiosity, why not just buy one in the color combination you want and save yourself the cost and hassle?
Long story actually...
Old 07-21-2017, 06:33 PM
Norcoastal
Instructor

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette

save the hasslee...interiors on those cars can get warm and black will make it worse

If the car was originally silver/oyster/4spdthey are not a dime a dozen and actually super desirable if you had 1st gen camaros you know what were really saying here; topped with a 4spd you got a nice car

Im not a "keep it original" guy but wiht that particular one yes
Black looks good but every old car it seems has a black interior

Think of that vette as a marina blue ss 4 spd Camaro;wish I had a few extra dollars Id buy it love that combo
Like I said, this is my first Bette. I've looked at a lot of pictures and it seems like a common color combo. Maybe the oyster leather and 4 speed could make it a more special edition.

Get notified of new replies

To 2nd Post - Color Scheme

Old 07-21-2017, 06:37 PM
Norcoastal
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rky Mtn C6
I wouldn't say the two-tone paint is a dime a dozen, however, it was the most numerous for 78. One third of all Corvettes made in 78 were the two-tone anniversary scheme. Some people will tell you the two-tone paint makes it "rare" or more valuable. That is simply not true. As stated previously, do what you want to do with it. If your intent is to make it a show car, then keep it original (IMHO). If you want to drive it and have fun, follow your dream and do with it what you want. At the end of the day it's what you think you should do, and not what other people think you should do.
Agreed, but as a "former" Camaro guy, if someone asked me if I thought that it was a good idea to turn a '67 RS/SS into a drag car, I'd tell them what I knew about the car. It still the owners decision of course, but a little information is very helpful.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:38 PM
tomvr
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

I have the same car L82 4 spd. The Silver Anniversary Paint was designed by Bill Mitchell. He choose the specific colors and laid out the stripes, etc. He recommended the Oyster Interior but black and red were also available.

For my purposes, I love it. the silver/charcoal combo looks more like a grown up car and is presentable in any situation. I've been to everything from beach parties to business meetings to funerals all without feeling out of place. It's easy to keep clean too!

Bill Mitchell was right...the Oyster interior goes great with the exterior. Neither compete with each other.

Any way you go, enjoy your car.

The following users liked this post:
Z06LMB (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 02:46 AM
Z06LMB
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by KingRat

Quick Reply: 2nd Post - Color Scheme