C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Post one pic of your aftermarket fuel injection...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 07:05 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

Default Post one pic of your aftermarket fuel injection...

Post one pic of your aftermarket fuel injection.

Well maybe two..or three if you "really want to"., heh, heh!

...any comments are welcome as well.

I'm thinking about building a sbc Dart block 427 Stroker, and am considering EFI while I'm at it.

Stan
........................................ ........................................ ........................................ ...................

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 07-22-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:25 PM
Grampy
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

If you want the restomod LS power, light weight and reliability but still want the traitional SBC look for a few K more than the Dart block build an all aluminum SCB and then find a Rochester FI unit and convert it to EFI
Attached Images  
The following 4 users liked this post by Grampy:
jerry gollnick (07-22-2017), Kerrmudgeon (07-24-2017), Loren Smith (07-25-2017), Stan's Customs (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 08:13 PM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Holley Dominator multi port, fully sequential, dual sync distributor, waste fire ignition, 4L80E transmission control, still under construction.
Attached Images  
The following 2 users liked this post by cbernhardt:
Loren Smith (07-25-2017), Stan's Customs (07-21-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 09:03 AM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Received 2,366 Likes on 1,034 Posts

6.0L LS with Holley Terminator throttle body EFI. Not looking to fool anyone, just tried to make the modern motor look more period correct in my '72 Suburban.
The following 2 users liked this post by FLYNAVY30:
Loren Smith (07-25-2017), Stan's Customs (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 11:57 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Charles and Greg..
So far you two have chosen Holley throttle body efi...
I'm sure quite a bit of research was done to make those choices.
Could you comment on main reasons for your choice...over other main brands for instance...or what functions that Holley has over others , etc?
...and Grampy...what components did you use for your neat conversion
Thanks..Stan

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 07-22-2017 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:12 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Stan, in my particular application, I liked the fact that you could get the Holley EFI in a package that looks similar to a carb (with the air cleaner on) and also had an integrated transmission controller so that I only had to mount a single ECU to run everything.

I've got over 5,000 miles on the set up now and I'm very happy overall. I will say that the "self learning" function is a bit deceiving. You definitely need to do some reading and get savvy on the initial set up in order to get it up and running. All of this was easily adjusted through the hand held, but I had to do some digging over on the Holley forum.

Additionally, after the first 2,000 miles, I took it to Virginia Speed to have them adjust the tune a bit. It was driving well, and making great power, but it tended to hunt at idle and bogged a bit when you stomped on the gas from a roll. They fixed the idle issue with some smoothing of the fuel and timing curves, and the bog was solved by adjusting the line pressure and some of the shift points in the transmission. Obviously the latter issues wouldn't be prevalent in a manual transmission application.

Keep in mind, if you're a knowledgeable tuner, you can download the software for free and plug in a lap top. That being said, the ECU is manufactured by HP, and the software can not be run on an Apple product...which was a pain in the *** for me because my wife and I both have Apples.

The last minor inconvenience was that there was no output from the ECU for a speedometer signal. Theres obviously an input from the trans to the ECU but no output. There are 3 unassigned "accessory" output wires so I had to borrow a friends Dell computer, download the software, and go in and assign one of those wires to the output and run that to the box Im using that converts the electrical square wave signal into a mechanical output for my factory instruments.

Outside of the above outlined issues, I've been really happy with the set up. If you're a savvy tuner, you can probably handle most of it yourself.

Hope that helps
Old 07-22-2017, 12:40 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Many thanks for the rundown Greg.
Exactly the things I was hoping to hear about.
I am NOT a savvy tuner...but we all have to start/savvy up somewhere.
Information like this makes the start much easier..thanks again.
Best regards...Stan

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 07-22-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:41 PM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Stan:

My system has a throttle body, but it a multiport (one injector for each cylinder) system.
The “throttle body” injection systems have the injectors in the throttle body and can usually be used to replace a carburetor without having to change the intake manifold. In my case I used a Holley multiport intake manifold.

In my case the reasons for choosing the Holley Dominator system were:
1) Support – the Holley forum is a wealth of information and has several guys who are extremely knowledgeable and helpful.
2) Holley systems are “self learning” which is true of most other EFI systems today. The air/fuel ratios can be set to the desired levels and, as you drive the car, the system “learns” and adjusts the fuel flow until the ratios are correct for all driving conditions. You still have to manually tweak things like idle speed, starting fuel enrichment, and acceleration enrichment, but I think ta\hat is true for most new EFI systems.
3) All accessory components for the system (fuel pump, filters, pressure regulator, coil packs, temperature and pressure sensors, distributor, etc.) can be purchased from Holley and their quality is first rate and is priced accordingly.
4) The Dominator is the top-of-the-line Holley system and I chose it because it has electronic transmission control and also has multiple input capabilities. I have a 4L80E transmission and previously I was using a separate TCI transmission control computer, which I can now eliminate. I have also been working on a traction control device that uses an Arduino micro computer to read the ABS sensors, calculate wheel slip, and adjust the timing or fuel flow to reduce power if necessary, something hard to do with a carb and conventional distributor.

Charles
Old 07-22-2017, 12:49 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

In addition to what Charles said about the Holley Forum, Ive also found there tech support to be top notch. I've had good success with the guys on the phone (admittedly it can sometimes take a while to get through), and through their email submissions....its usually a 24-48 hour turnaround, but I've always gotten a thorough response, and the same tech will reply to follow up emails as necessary. I imagine the other systems out there are just as good, but I don't think you can go wrong with Holley...either Terminator or Dominator, depending on your needs.
The following users liked this post:
Stan's Customs (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 12:50 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Charles
..now we're talking, thanks for "all this" information...loads of help from Greg and now you!!
This is the stuff I needed to know about...
The internet is great, but I have already spent a couple of weeks and it still doesn't compare to hands on information...
Some input from guys that have already fought the battle insures that I'm on the right track, or haven't over looked something that an actual installation would reveal.
Thanks again..Stan

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 07-22-2017 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:58 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by cbernhardt
Holley Dominator multi port, fully sequential, dual sync distributor, waste fire ignition, 4L80E transmission control, still under construction.
BTW Charles....love the way you plumbed everything on that motor....very clean

My Suburban was a learning experience and the first car I completely rebuilt. If the engine ever goes in my '64 coupe, I plan on an LS swap with another Holley Terminator TBI backed by a rebuilt M-21 and Im going to completely nerd out on the plumbing and wiring....firewall aviation style "cannon plug" connectors for the engine harness and body harness. Theres just something appealing to me about a cleanly plumbed and wired project.
The following users liked this post:
Stan's Customs (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 01:44 PM
Stingxray
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

Bought a racers spare Sprint car motor / 410 aluminum Donovan , and converted the Hilborn to EFI. Going in a SWC . See video below

Old 07-22-2017, 02:34 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Now there's a bunch of eye candy..
Thanks...Stan
Old 07-22-2017, 03:12 PM
Stingxray
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

Stan :
I have a Holly Stealthram EFI For Sale. Includes polished Manifold /1000 CFM throttly body / Fuel rails with crossover and fuel regulator. But No computer. Let me know if need more info. / The photo is not of actual part. (very close) probably better.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:27 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Stingxray
Stan :
I have a Holly Stealthram EFI For Sale. Includes polished Manifold /1000 CFM throttly body / Fuel rails with crossover and fuel regulator. But No computer. Let me know if need more info. / The photo is not of actual part. (very close) probably better.
I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet (providing I do go ahead with the Dart stroker..)...BUT, I have thought about a TPIS miniram. This is similar I would imagine?
Please PM how much are you asking for it...and any other information you might consider helpful.
Part of what I'm doing now is compiling the actual cost of the complete change -over. It would be easy to under estimate this project by several thousand dollars.
Thanks ...Stan
Old 07-22-2017, 04:31 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Sequential port FI, whether out of the box, or custom built on a single plane manifold, offers better idle, and off idle smoothness over a throttle body injection, and most ECUs for sequential port offer individual injector tuning if you go to the trouble of analyzing exhaust gasses out of each cylinder.

Doug
Old 07-22-2017, 04:44 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Sequential port FI, whether out of the box, or custom built on a single plane manifold, offers better idle, and off idle smoothness over a throttle body injection, and most ECUs for sequential port offer individual injector tuning if you go to the trouble of analyzing exhaust gasses out of each cylinder.

Doug
Thanks Doug...that helps.

You ought to throw up a couple pics of your nice EFI..I never did get any to come up without a air cleaner earlier (..or post some with an air cleaner for that matter). Just in case someone down the line does a search for the same info.
Stan

Get notified of new replies

To Post one pic of your aftermarket fuel injection...

Old 07-22-2017, 05:45 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-car-pics.html
Old 07-22-2017, 06:11 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the link Doug....nice!!

Do you know if a 70's GM drop base Corvette air cleaner would fit on a set up like yours.
I'm not sure how much clearance for the fuel rails and throttle linkage is needed with a efi.
Billy Dawson's frame/chassis motor mounts are 2" lower than stock.
Thanks..Stan

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 07-22-2017 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:57 PM
skids
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 110 Posts

Holley HP EFI

Quick Reply: Post one pic of your aftermarket fuel injection...