C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Z06 DRL/Turn Signal Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 08:54 PM
Z06_Bandit
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2008 Z06 DRL/Turn Signal Problem

Hey guys! Im new here. I recently bought a Black 2008 Z06, I must say I am absolutely in love with this car. However I am already having some electrical issues and I am hoping some of y'all can help me out.

I notice two things:

1) My DRLs and LEFT blinker will only work for about 20-30 mins in the morning then will NOT work for the rest of the day no matter how long I let the car sit. My headlights (HIDs), high beams, passenger side blinker ALL WORK fine. No matter the time of day or how long I am driving it. I can get the Driver's side bulb to come on by putting on the parking lights. Hazards DO NOT make the left side blink. BOTH my rear lights work with the blinker switch and hazards.

2) My reverse lights do NOT work. BUT they will come one when I use the unlock button with key FOB.....

So my car is at a local GMC/Cadillac dealership and I am already $2300 in the hole without a fix. They replaced the BCM and reverse switch on the transmission because "that's what GM Engineering told them to do." To no avail. The tech started my Z06 for 30 mins today and again the driver's side DRL and blinker will not work and the reverse lights are still not working. So now the Z is staying at the dealership over the weekend. When I talked to my service advisor he advised me that they are going to continue diagnostics on Monday. They found a short in a wire going to the reverse lights so they'll start with that for the rear. But no idea on the DRLs/blinker. I have been doing some research and have heard something about the fuse block being bad...?

I need some help as I have only had my z06 3 days and now it is sitting at a dealership. I am hoping some of you seasoned Vette guys can help a newbie out with this problem so i can get my Z back on the road. I don't want to go without reverse lights as someone could hit me and I dont want to go without a blinker as that is also a safety concern.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:32 PM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Holy Moly!! $2300 and they haven't fixed it?!?!??!
Id be refusing to pay that bill.
Has the recall for the headlight wiring been done on it?? Dealer should be able to tell you the recall work order history.
Sounds like the wiring at the fusebox is suspect. Does the car have any accident history?
If I were you before the bill gets any higher I'd get it out of the dealership, order a Factory Service Manual from www.Helminc.com and a Powerprobe or good digital volt meter and start doing your own troubleshooting.

Fill out your profile too you may find a new friend in your hood that can help you out or at least steer you to a GOOD repair shop.

Last edited by AzMotorhead; 07-21-2017 at 09:40 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:39 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

A clarification: by "reverse lights" do you mean the tail lights or brake lights? From your description it doesn't sound like you're referring to the white reverse lights that come on when you put the car in reverse.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:40 PM
Z06_Bandit
Advanced

Originally Posted by AzMotorhead
Holy Moly!! $2300 and they haven't fixed it?!?!??!
Id be refusing to pay that bill.
Has the recall for the headlight wiring been done on it?? Dealer should be able to tell you the recall work order history.
Sounds like the wiring at the fusebox is suspect. Does the car have any accident history?
If I were you before the bill gets any higher I'd get it out of the dealership, order a Factory Service Manual from www.Helminc.com and a Powerprobe or good digital volt meter and start doing your own troubleshooting.

Fill out your profile too you may find a new friend in your hood that can help you out or at least steer you to a GOOD repair shop.
Yea trust me I am contemplating speaking to the service manager and asking for some discounts or something. Because I am pissed about this.

No accident history (clean title). And I dont believe it has had that recall done on it. Can you elaborate on the recall? I'd like to research it more. As I feel the fuse box will be the main suspect.

My bro is a mechanic and we tried tracing the wires but we didn't find out about the fusebox suspicion until after the dealer called me today advising that their master techs and GM engineer rep had failed to fix my Z06. So should they hit me with anymore BS on Monday I will pull the car. As it stand right now my bill is frozen @$2300 since they chose to put the new BCM in per GM Engineering and that did not fix it. So they will perform further diagnostics at their expense until they find what it is.

If it turns out to be the fuse box I will pull it and fix it myself.

Thanks!
Old 07-21-2017, 11:41 PM
Z06_Bandit
Advanced

Originally Posted by torquetube
A clarification: by "reverse lights" do you mean the tail lights or brake lights? From your description it doesn't sound like you're referring to the white reverse lights that come on when you put the car in reverse.
I am referring to the lights that come on at the bottom of the rear bumper when you reverse.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:09 AM
HK770
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06_Bandit
Yea trust me I am contemplating speaking to the service manager and asking for some discounts or something. Because I am pissed about this.

No accident history (clean title). And I dont believe it has had that recall done on it. Can you elaborate on the recall? I'd like to research it more. As I feel the fuse box will be the main suspect.

My bro is a mechanic and we tried tracing the wires but we didn't find out about the fusebox suspicion until after the dealer called me today advising that their master techs and GM engineer rep had failed to fix my Z06. So should they hit me with anymore BS on Monday I will pull the car. As it stand right now my bill is frozen @$2300 since they chose to put the new BCM in per GM Engineering and that did not fix it. So they will perform further diagnostics at their expense until they find what it is.

If it turns out to be the fuse box I will pull it and fix it myself.

Thanks!
LUCK

https://www.google.com/search?q=C6+l...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old 07-22-2017, 01:37 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

One of the wires inside the fusebox is prone to cracking with heat cycles due to its particular geometry. It's always the same wire - the one that carries the coil-side signal from the BCM to the low-beam headlight relay. When it fails, the low beams turn off.

GM's fix under the recall is to leave the fusebox alone and have the tech adulterate two wiring harnesses by installing a jumper wire between them. It's kind of a half-assed workaround in my opinion. Anyway, that repair won't address your particular problem.
Old 07-22-2017, 04:36 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

1) My DRLs and LEFT blinker will only work for about 20-30 mins in the morning then will NOT work for the rest of the day no matter how long I let the car sit. My headlights (HIDs), high beams, passenger side blinker ALL WORK fine. No matter the time of day or how long I am driving it. I can get the Driver's side bulb to come on by putting on the parking lights. Hazards DO NOT make the left side blink. BOTH my rear lights work with the blinker switch and hazards.
There are two filaments in that bulb. The DRL/turn/hazard is the "A" terminal, driven directly by the BCM. The parking light is the "B" terminal, driven from the parking light relay. You're having a problem with the "A" side. I'd start at the lamp itself. Make sure the bulb and/or socket isn't fried.
Old 07-22-2017, 04:27 PM
Z06_Bandit
Advanced

Originally Posted by torquetube
There are two filaments in that bulb. The DRL/turn/hazard is the "A" terminal, driven directly by the BCM. The parking light is the "B" terminal, driven from the parking light relay. You're having a problem with the "A" side. I'd start at the lamp itself. Make sure the bulb and/or socket isn't fried.
Yea that is the first thing I checked before going to the dealer. The socket seemed fine. I even replaced the bulb just to see but nothing.

Im anxiously waiting till Monday to see what new "bright idea" the dealer has. They seem to be as clueless as me on this which is disconcerting to say the least.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:49 AM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

I'll agree that the headlight recall item would not have the affect on what the OP is experiencing.
But if someone DID perform the recall item AND screwed something up on reassembly this could lead to said issues.
OP : dont take anything for granted when you start troubleshooting. Be sure the correct bulbs are installed and or properly installed. Also ring out all grounds The Powerprobe tools are handy as you can Check circutry read voltages and even power or ground a circuit easily.
DONT power a circuit with the computer hooked up though
Old 07-29-2017, 02:02 AM
Z06_Bandit
Advanced

SOLVED.

So after a $2700 bill from my GMC/Cadillac dealership the problem is solved.

DRL/Blinker problem: Bad fuse box was replaced and no more problem.

Reverse lights: Reverse switch on trans bad AND a connector in the engine bay needed to be replaced at a junction box.

The BCM was replaced by the dealer under GM's engineering department's recommendation however this DID NOT fix my problem. If anyone else has this problem have your dealership do the FUSEBOX FIRST!

It is MUCH CHEAPER than the BCM.

Thank you all for your help and I hope this thread helps someone someday with this frustrating problem!

Get notified of new replies

To 2008 Z06 DRL/Turn Signal Problem

Quick Reply: 2008 Z06 DRL/Turn Signal Problem