C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Tire Repair-Western Broward Cty, Fla

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 03:55 PM
ULTI
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire Repair-Western Broward Cty, Fla

Looking for any recommendations for someone to evaluate and repair tire with screw in outer side. I do not track so hoping perhaps patch or plug. no air leaking so far! thx
Attached Images  
Old 07-22-2017, 04:03 PM
h3mpking
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 145 Posts

Just take it to Discount Tire.
Old 07-22-2017, 04:26 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Nobody will repair. Too close to edge. As I t's not losing much air leave it in and run it. Even when I pick something up in one that's repairable I run it until I have to add air to frequently

Last edited by rikhek; 07-22-2017 at 04:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ULTI (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 07:17 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

The post about not repairable is correct by most shops. Since you say it's not leaking air yet, I suggest get a phillips screwdriver & back that puppy out slowly. It may not go all the way inside of tire. Put soapy water on it, start backing it out. If it begins to leak, screw it back in. At least you'll know if it really should be fixed or replaced.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:22 PM
ULTI
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by madrob2020
The post about not repairable is correct by most shops. Since you say it's not leaking air yet, I suggest get a phillips screwdriver & back that puppy out slowly. It may not go all the way inside of tire. Put soapy water on it, start backing it out. If it begins to leak, screw it back in. At least you'll know if it really should be fixed or replaced.
Thx for the suggestion!
Old 07-22-2017, 07:45 PM
ZMMMMM
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 160 Likes on 96 Posts

I went to discount tire today. I had a rear super sport tire that had a very slow leak…about 2 psi every couple times I drove it. Discount tire removed a nail (and a screw) for free. It was in the garage bay for about 30 minutes. All the stories on this website about the difficulties mounting tires were scaring me…and I’m fearless!

Old 07-22-2017, 11:06 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by madrob2020
The LAST thing you want to do is back it out!!! No upside. Once you do that there's no going back. If it's not leaking don't kick a sleeping dog. If you back it out and it is through you can't put it back in. If it's all the way through and you leave it in it's working great as a plug.

Also again, NO tire shop will repair that due to location near the edge.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:23 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhek
Nobody will repair. Too close to edge. As I t's not losing much air leave it in and run it. Even when I pick something up in one that's repairable I run it until I have to add air to frequently
WTF...

Sure no problem, you're driving a high performance sprtos car with a screw in the tire. Go ahead and keep running it...not. Get the tire fixed or replace it. I would not be driving it with that screw in it.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:16 AM
NASTYC7
Drifting

Received 433 Likes on 239 Posts

That's repairable. Not in side wall. Some shops may not patch others will. just find the shop that will. I think any shop would patch that screw. I just had a bolt yes a bolt in a cup 2 that was almost in the sidewall. My shop did it no problem.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:35 AM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts

Wow, some interesting recommendations.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-so-cheap.html
Old 07-23-2017, 10:04 AM
Quechee 45
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tires

Go to Auto Glitz on 441 in Hollywood, FL. They'll give you the straight scoop.
See Orlando or Carlos.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:53 AM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

Received 286 Likes on 161 Posts

It may not be long enough to have actually punctured through. I have removed quite a few that didn't. I'm in Broward County, if you can't get any one to plug it I will, I do all my tires for many years, never had a problem.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:47 PM
h3mpking
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 145 Posts

Discount used a plug patch on my tire for a nail that looked to be in the very near identical position as yours. It will be good as new with it installed.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:44 PM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

I can't believe I got a screw in mine the same day I read this post. It was in the middle of tread about 3 inches from side wall. I drove home and removed screw which had reached just far enough to puncture through. I carefully cleaned out hole feeling the inner liner about an inch below the inner surface of the tread. I use the rope type plugs (not dried out) as mentioned above but I also like to dip them in Pliobond before inserting them. Afterwards I use a razor to cut flush with the tread. I filled tire back up to 31 psig and went out for a drive. I had the tire pressure screen up and the newly patched tire warmed up to match the temperature of the other tires and the pressure matched up with the already warm other tires. Just got home from work and the car sat all day and all looks good, same pressure, like I mentioned above I've probably plugged several dozen of my own tires over the last 40 years having learning to do so in my neighbors Mobil Station back in the 70's. I've never had a problem with the tires and plugs wearing down evenly until it was time to replace the tires. This is my first run flat however so the jury is still out but I could tell with this soft rubber compound the plug will really bond easily. I have tools similar to the ones pictured below and the can of Pliobond is what I use.

Great stuff

Typical tire repair tools with rope plugs and glue

Last edited by mjdart; 07-24-2017 at 06:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LagunaSecaZ06 (07-24-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 09:26 AM
petepd
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Glad I bought the tire/wheel insurance! Got a hugh staple in a rear tire the day after I bought it. 2 more in 5 years, and I'm ahead of the game!!
Old 07-26-2017, 09:52 AM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by petepd
Glad I bought the tire/wheel insurance! Got a hugh staple in a rear tire the day after I bought it. 2 more in 5 years, and I'm ahead of the game!!
I bought the insurance on my ATS Performance with Michelin Pilot Sport run flats, never used it as I replaced the tires after 39,000 miles, go figure the Z06 gets a screw after 1,100 miles with no insurance.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:56 AM
Kyflyer
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by mjdart
I can't believe I got a screw in mine the same day I read this post. It was in the middle of tread about 3 inches from side wall. I drove home and removed screw which had reached just far enough to puncture through. I carefully cleaned out hole feeling the inner liner about an inch below the inner surface of the tread. I use the rope type plugs (not dried out) as mentioned above but I also like to dip them in Pliobond before inserting them. Afterwards I use a razor to cut flush with the tread. I filled tire back up to 31 psig and went out for a drive. I had the tire pressure screen up and the newly patched tire warmed up to match the temperature of the other tires and the pressure matched up with the already warm other tires. Just got home from work and the car sat all day and all looks good, same pressure, like I mentioned above I've probably plugged several dozen of my own tires over the last 40 years having learning to do so in my neighbors Mobil Station back in the 70's. I've never had a problem with the tires and plugs wearing down evenly until it was time to replace the tires. This is my first run flat however so the jury is still out but I could tell with this soft rubber compound the plug will really bond easily. I have tools similar to the ones pictured below and the can of Pliobond is what I use.

Great stuff

Typical tire repair tools with rope plugs and glue
Thanks, I have used these plugs for years on my farm equipment and they work great! I have even used them in the sidewalls of some of the AG tires and they held! I never even considered them for street tires!
Old 07-26-2017, 10:03 AM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kyflyer
Thanks, I have used these plugs for years on my farm equipment and they work great! I have even used them in the sidewalls of some of the AG tires and they held! I never even considered them for street tires!
Yup! I use 'em in my lawn tractor as well, they always work!

Get notified of new replies

To Tire Repair-Western Broward Cty, Fla

Quick Reply: Tire Repair-Western Broward Cty, Fla