C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone not let the dealer do the 500mi oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 05:02 PM
brettmess24
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Anyone not let the dealer do the 500mi oil change?

Thinking about doing the 500mi oil change myself. I don't know that I want the dealer to even touch my car ...I do all of my own service on all of my vehicles.

So what do you say, would I have warranty troubles if I don't let them complete the first service?

Last edited by brettmess24; 07-23-2017 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:07 PM
B&BVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 166 Posts

Why don't you want the dealer to do it?
Old 07-23-2017, 05:13 PM
brettmess24
Racer

Originally Posted by B&BVettes
Why don't you want the dealer to do it?
Others experiences with over fill, cracked rockers etc.
I have carbon fiber stage2 arrow on my car and I do all of my own oil changes and maintenance so I know it's done right.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:14 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

I also don't understand the general dealer mistrust, but as long as you keep receipts, you will be fine.

My car had 20,000 miles on it before the bulletin came out, it's fine.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:34 PM
7LitreC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 646 Likes on 388 Posts

I've done all of the oil changes on my C7 and will continue to do so. That way I know that the Z51 oil change was done correctly.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:51 PM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 155 Posts

Always felt I had to check their work and was disappointed in some respect - such as overfilled, spilled oil on the engine, over tightened filter, finger prints on the window, grease on the arm rest and other irritations. So I just drive it up on my race ramps and am done a whole lot quicker than when I have had to take it to the dealer and with a lot less stress. Plus I get enjoyment working on my cars and knowing its done right. Finally gives me an opportunity to check the underneath for any signs of fluid leaks. Just keep records. I keep the top of the oil filter box and write date and mileage on it.

Last edited by Frosty; 07-23-2017 at 05:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mathematatin (06-13-2018)
Old 07-23-2017, 06:07 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,624 Likes on 6,628 Posts

Originally Posted by brettmess24
Thinking about doing the 500mi oil change myself. I don't know that I want the dealer to even touch my car ...I do all of my own service on all of my vehicles.

So what do you say, would I have warranty troubles if I don't let them complete the first service?
Made all changes in my C7 Z51 and the first 500 mile change in my new Grand Sport. Know it's done right, no cracked rocker planes and no overfilling. I fill to 1/2 quart over min, 1/2 quart under max, i.e. like many others 1/2 way in hatched area.

I did not keep receipts for my C7 since I have changed oil for my other 3 Vettes prior and just kept a log in the Owner's Manual.

For the Grand Sport decided to keep receipts for Mobil 1 (purchased at Walmart and with Mobil rebate they run twice/year paid $2.75/quart in 5 quart jugs.

Buy PF64 AC filters from Amazon. Particularly keeping receipts warranty is a none issue. I also keep the log up in the Owner's Manual
Old 07-23-2017, 06:52 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

What if you have a warranty claim and GM has "no record" you have had the required oil changes, especially the 500 mile one for a Z51? Do you expect them to take your word for it that you installed Mobil1? I know this sounds a bit sarcastic, but I'm serious. I would worry about that.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:14 PM
fasterfiero
Heel & Toe

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I did my own 500 mi break in oil change last Friday... Partly because of the over fill stories, also the dealer I purchased from is two hours away...... and the time/ hassle of setting up an appointment with a local dealer. I bought Mobil 1 and filter at Walmart.... it is a pretty straight forward process, I guess the one nice thing about having a driveway that slopes down hill ....just propped up some ramps. I was surprised how brown the oil was and also smelled a little bit like fuel.... my GS was at 711 miles when I changed it. I think it is highly unlikely for GM to deny warranty because people do their own oil changes.
JerryU (12-16-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 07:19 PM
RMS73
Melting Slicks

Received 368 Likes on 217 Posts

I did the 500 mile and first year oil change myself. I do all the oil changes myself, actual my younger son is doing them now. I do not trust the dealers for the simple things as the folks that do them are not real mechanics and most know little about cars in general. Wrong oil, not enough oil, stripped oil pans, loose oil pan plugs are just some of the reasons I and my father have experienced over the years.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:26 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,624 Likes on 6,628 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
What if you have a warranty claim and GM has "no record" you have had the required oil changes, especially the 500 mile one for a Z51? Do you expect them to take your word for it that you installed Mobil1? I know this sounds a bit sarcastic, but I'm serious. I would worry about that.
As I said in post #7, for the new Grand Sport I made the 500 miles oil and filter change and put purchase receipts in an envelop. My 4 prior Vettes I just kept a log in the Owner's Manual on the pages designed for that purpose. I am still putting the info in the Log into the Owner's Manual.

I have zero concerns that GM/Dealer will question if it was done, especially if I have the receipts! Recall my 1st new car a '67 Corvair and GM was offering a new extended warranty but said had to be done by the dealer! That lasted about 3 months! Had an Uncle who was a Chevy service manager who told be when GM was forced to change that policy. He just said keep receipts!

Have been just using the Log in the Owner's Manual after that car. Just decided it's no big deal to keep the receipts in an envelope.

Last edited by JerryU; 07-23-2017 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:30 PM
GR Jay
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I did my own 500 mile change myself. I bought my car out of state and have heard mixed reviews about my local Chevy dealers. It was actually a pleasure to do and gives me a good excuse to buy a Bendpak lift.

Here is statement from the Federal Trade Commission website.

If you own a car, you know how important it is to keep up with routine maintenance and repairs. But can a dealer refuse to honor the warranty that came with your new car if someone else does the routine maintenance or repairs?

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the nation's consumer protection agency, says no. In fact, it's illegal for a dealer to deny your warranty coverage simply because you had routine maintenance or repairs performed by someone else. Routine maintenance often includes oil changes, tire rotations, belt replacement, fluid checks and flushes, new brake pads, and inspections. Maintenance schedules vary by vehicle make, model and year; the best source of information about routine scheduled maintenance is your owner's manual.
mschuyler (07-23-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 07:37 PM
brettmess24
Racer

Originally Posted by mdshaffer
Always felt I had to check their work and was disappointed in some respect - such as overfilled, spilled oil on the engine, over tightened filter, finger prints on the window, grease on the arm rest and other irritations. So I just drive it up on my race ramps and am done a whole lot quicker than when I have had to take it to the dealer and with a lot less stress. Plus I get enjoyment working on my cars and knowing its done right. Finally gives me an opportunity to check the underneath for any signs of fluid leaks. Just keep records. I keep the top of the oil filter box and write date and mileage on it.
This is exactly how I feel and the same process I follow all the way down to the race ramps and filter box tops!!! I really like the Royal Purple filters and will use Mobil1 was hoping my 16 Yukon Denali used the same filter but guessing there different because of the dry sump.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:38 PM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

went into my selling dealer service department and asked what oil they use when doing corvette service. i was informed it was dextros motor oil. wrong answer for me. should have responded that all their corvettes are serviced with mobil 1. [ a properly trained service writer / service department should be well aware of the gm policy regarding oil used in under warranty corvettes ] [[ also aware how **** vette owners are]]

have had other issues in past with same dealer on different vettes / vehicles. hard to find honest, experienced and knowledgeable shops anywhere.

do it yourself and keep receipts / documentation
Old 07-23-2017, 08:21 PM
B&BVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 166 Posts

I have two local dealers that I trust with my cars. Paddock and Van Bortel. Never a problem with the C5s, C6s or now with our three C7s.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:48 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

If you can do the work yourself, then by all means no practical reason not to. No local dealers here where the Corvette tech actually performs the oil change, and I've asked. Plus it is hassle to make an appointment, bring it in and wait and wonder. My selling dealer, who I have had do warranty work is excellent, but is 200 miles away so not worth it for an oil change. The five free oil changes will go unused. Instead I've done all the oil changes when due, have lifts in a well-equipped shop, and keep my receipts. My selling dealer is aware of this and says it is not an issue that would come up in a warranty claim. I also have a LS7 C6 and have done the same with that as well. I believe you can rest easy.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:59 PM
blue max
Burning Brakes

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Made all changes in my C7 Z51 and the first 500 mile change in my new Grand Sport. Know it's done right, no cracked rocker planes and no overfilling. I fill to 1/2 quart over min, 1/2 quart under max, i.e. like many others 1/2 way in hatched area.

I did not keep receipts for my C7 since I have changed oil for my other 3 Vettes prior and just kept a log in the Owner's Manual.

For the Grand Sport decided to keep receipts for Mobil 1 (purchased at Walmart and with Mobil rebate they run twice/year paid $2.75/quart in 5 quart jugs.

Buy PF64 AC filters from Amazon. Particularly keeping receipts warranty is a none issue. I also keep the log up in the Owner's Manual
When you reset the oil lift monitor it is recorded as an oil change. Also you can check the oil change record in my chevy dot com.

Last edited by blue max; 07-23-2017 at 09:00 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone not let the dealer do the 500mi oil change?

Old 07-23-2017, 09:26 PM
Z06Shark
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Dealer let me work with the Tech, side-by-side.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:05 PM
blue max
Burning Brakes

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by zzw26n
Dealer let me work with the Tech, side-by-side.
Now that is rare and really cool
Old 07-23-2017, 10:09 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,407 Likes on 611 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Thinking about doingt the 500mi oil change myself. I don't know that I want the dealer to even touch my car ...I do all of my own service on all of my vehicles.

No warranty problems but the dealer oil change is no charge. It's a pretty simple procedure, I'm sure a Chevrolet dealer can handle it flawlessly.
The following 2 users liked this post by Glennm27:
B&BVettes (07-23-2017), woodsguy (07-24-2017)

Quick Reply: Anyone not let the dealer do the 500mi oil change?