Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Wrap removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 07:50 PM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Wrap removal

How hard is it to remove a wrap without damaging the paint? Don't know the brand.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:43 AM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 897 Likes on 686 Posts

I thought you could just peel it off? You could try using a heat gun to loosen the adhesive up and make it easier to peel.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:37 AM
Larry Myers
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 78 Posts

I watched a shop remove wrap off the front of my car using a steamer, much like one would use to remove wallpaper.

Took about an hour. There was residue remaining that was removed using soap and water.

Paint was unharmed.

Last edited by Larry Myers; 07-24-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:29 AM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Age of the wrap may also play a factor. I saw a wrap cracked due to heat/age that looked like it would have been a nightmare to remove.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:25 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

And I hope you won't find any surprises as I did. Bought a used car recently (Mazdaspeed3), flew up to drive it back home, paint was trashed with razor blade cuts all the way to the base coat.

Or course none of these (and many, many other) defects were revealed to me, despite about 30 texts, 7 or 8 detailed phone conversations where I made it crystal clear that I expect a car with 10k miles on it to have zero (or very few) defects, or don't waste my time.. I get up there, and "oh, yeah, the car had a wrap on it..".

Needless to say this salesman and the dealership in general lived up to my low expectations - deaf, dumb, blind liars they are..
Old 07-24-2017, 02:30 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
And I hope you won't find any surprises as I did. Bought a used car recently (Mazdaspeed3), flew up to drive it back home, paint was trashed with razor blade cuts all the way to the base coat.

Or course none of these (and many, many other) defects were revealed to me, despite about 30 texts, 7 or 8 detailed phone conversations where I made it crystal clear that I expect a car with 10k miles on it to have zero (or very few) defects, or don't waste my time.. I get up there, and "oh, yeah, the car had a wrap on it..".

Needless to say this salesman and the dealership in general lived up to my low expectations - deaf, dumb, blind liars they are..
There are so many either inept or downright crook car salesmen. It's a shame the industry is like that. I had a similar issue where I drove from STL to CO to look at a 1996 Camaro SS that was in "excellent" condition. It had DRIPS of clearcoat hanging off the back bumper. The driver's door had clear peeling away from the weather stripping. The quarter had been hit and crushed hard and not properly repaired. The car wasn't worth _half_ of their asking price.

I went with another friend to Utah to look at a Camaro from a private individual. Low mile.. pristine car. The rear quarter had fisheyes in it like someone painted it a tire shop or garage. I pulled the car into a Jiffy Lube to inspect the underside and the front of the engine was covered in orange RTV.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:50 AM
986_C6
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man

That is my biggest fear (razor marks) with wrapping my car (installer doing the damage then) or buying a wrapped car (the damage had already been done).

Sorry to hear Dan_the_Man. Just treat it like another opportunity to change the color to whatever you want with a new wrap.

Get notified of new replies

To Wrap removal

Quick Reply: Wrap removal