C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 to C6

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 09:59 AM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
Default C4 to C6

Ok, driving a very nice C4 LT1 right now. Looking down the road towards a C6 in a couple years. Thinking it best to look for an 08 or newer. Open to the 1LT through 3LT package.

Sounds like the early LS2 had harmonic balancer problems and why buy 400hp when for a little more get the LS3? Of course the 05 auto was still the 4 speed. I would consider one of these, but the price would be to be right (cheap).

Anyone here have experience with C6's? Will I be able to find a 08 or newer, vert, 6M with less than 50,000 miles for less than $22k?
Old 07-24-2017, 10:49 AM
sluggballz
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 121 Posts

I have a 95 vert I've had for six years and an 08 coupe I've had for almost three years. My 08 is a base with 3lt package. It had over 100k miles when I bought it, but it was in really good shape otherwise. I paid 21 for it. As everyone will say, get the best you can with the money you have. I look everyday throughout the southeast on Craigslist, c6 corvettes are getting easier to find under 20. Just keep looking, your car is out there.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:12 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sluggballz
I have a 95 vert I've had for six years and an 08 coupe I've had for almost three years. My 08 is a base with 3lt package. It had over 100k miles when I bought it, but it was in really good shape otherwise. I paid 21 for it. As everyone will say, get the best you can with the money you have. I look everyday throughout the southeast on Craigslist, c6 corvettes are getting easier to find under 20. Just keep looking, your car is out there.

Good to hear, just at the learning stage now, won't make a decision until 2019. Went into the C4 pretty much blind. Ended up purchasing by word of mouth with three different references. Next time around, I'm willing to go it alone and travel anywhere in the USA. Will need to do my homework in the mean time. Sounds like the best C6's are 2012/ 13 models.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:20 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bow tie guy
Corvettes built after mid year 2003, feature dual fuel tanks, and dual fuel pumps.(well a transfer pump and a pressure pump) they feature non permeable hoses, and plastic fittings, that are known to leak, and break. there are TSB's regarding these matters.

The repair, or maintenacne of these components, not to mention the FUEL PUMP, OR SENDER may involve the removal of the transaxle aka transmission, and differential to allow access to these fuel system components, that are known to fail, often times the fuel tank assembly as a whole must be repalced, when at the mercy of the dealer on a car out of warranty.

GM went from a user serviceable bottom mounterd fuel pump and sender assy, accessable by removal or the passenger rear wheel to a system that is top mounted, thereby requiring transaxle removal!

It's essentially Dealer only serviceable

in other words, the costs involved would exceed the amount I paid for my 33K mile C4

Interesting. I'm not surprised. On the other hand I may just keep the C4, should be pretty trouble free for the next 5 years as it's a well maintained car and does put smiles on my face (54,000 current miles). There's something kool about driving a 25 year old car that still performs today. WRX's won't challenge me! LOL

Maybe I'll be something dumb next year and install a Corsa cat-back system.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:18 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by Cool Runnings

Anyone here have experience with C6's?
I have. I'm sure that you've already read about my experience. I thought the car was super lame. I didn't like it for a plethora of reasons.

I bought it brand new from Kerbeck (ordered it the way I wanted it, actually) and had it delivered to Mike Hale Chev here in Park City...drove it out of the Dealer show room. One of the proudest moments of my life to that point. Anyway, I had it for 3-1/2 years and just couldn't love the thing. Once I got it out of the show room...it just wasn't "happening" for me and that car. I held on to it for 3 of those years, then got a C4 (to fix, sell for $), then I drove the C4. Never drove the C6 again. It sat in my garage for 4 months and then I finally decided to sell it. I don't miss it at all.

Drive one (for a while) before you buy one. They have their virtues, but the virtues didn't matter to me....and they definitely have their annoyances...and those DID matter to me. A lot. The car was lame, I'm glad it's gone.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 07-24-2017 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:05 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Consider a great C5Z06 before buying a C6. The C5Z06 has better looks than a base lame C6.

the only way I'd recommend a C6 is a C6Z06.

I remember I wanted the power, but that look kept me from taking the step. Once I saw the C7 in person and drove a Z06 automatic the decision was made.

If a C7Z06 is too much consider a 2014-2015 Z51. They are very fast, as fast as the C6Z06.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:40 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
I have. I'm sure that you've already read about my experience. I thought the car was super lame. I didn't like it for a plethora of reasons.

I bought it brand new from Kerbeck (ordered it the way I wanted it, actually) and had it delivered to Mike Hale Chev here in Park City...drove it out of the Dealer show room. One of the proudest moments of my life to that point. Anyway, I had it for 3-1/2 years and just couldn't love the thing. Once I got it out of the show room...it just wasn't "happening" for me and that car. I held on to it for 3 of those years, then got a C4 (to fix, sell for $), then I drove the C4. Never drove the C6 again. It sat in my garage for 4 months and then I finally decided to sell it. I don't miss it at all.

Drive one (for a while) before you buy one. They have their virtues, but the virtues didn't matter to me....and they definitely have their annoyances...and those DID matter to me. A lot. The car was lame, I'm glad it's gone.

WoW, very interesting. I'm loving the C4. The only thing I wish it had was a 6M, otherwise I have zero complains. Well a vert would be kind of fun.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:56 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,443 Likes on 2,802 Posts

I've had 3. You will probably not fond a NICE c6 with under 50k for 22k. That's what a clean C5 goes for. You will find plenty of high mileage beat down 1LT cars for that though.

Like others have said, the C6 isn't as fun or engaging as the c4. The c6 is a lot more expensive to operate and fix too. Tores, brakes, etc. Are all far more expensive. They're really fast, but their limits are such that you'll get yourself killed of you get near their edge. They're great cars with a ton of storage room in the back, and do everything well. They just don't bond with you like a c4.

Oh, and the depreciation curve on a c6 with over 60k miles is rough.

Last edited by FAUEE; 07-24-2017 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:13 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by FAUEE
I've had 3. You will probably not fond a NICE c6 with under 50k for 22k. That's what a clean C5 goes for. You will find plenty of high mileage beat down 1LT cars for that though.

Like others have said, the C6 isn't as fun or engaging as the c4. The c6 is a lot more expensive to operate and fix too. Tores, brakes, etc. Are all far more expensive. They're really fast, but their limits are such that you'll get yourself killed of you get near their edge. They're great cars with a ton of storage room in the back, and do everything well. They just don't bond with you like a c4.

Oh, and the depreciation curve on a c6 with over 60k miles is rough.

I'm really impressed with everyone's replies. It's going to be two years before I can make a move anyways, maybe by then, I'll just keep my old LT1. It does have a 3:07 rear, so performance wise, it goes pretty good. I know what crazy HP is. around 2000 I owned a Hayabusa for a couple years. Sold it bc either I was going to be dead or lose my license.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:48 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,709 Likes on 2,997 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by bow tie guy
Corvettes built after mid year 2003, feature dual fuel tanks, and dual fuel pumps.(well a transfer pump and a pressure pump) they feature non permeable hoses, and plastic fittings, that are known to leak, and break. there are TSB's regarding these matters.

The repair, or maintenacne of these components, not to mention the FUEL PUMP, OR SENDER may involve the removal of the transaxle aka transmission, and differential to allow access to these fuel system components, that are known to fail, often times the fuel tank assembly as a whole must be repalced, when at the mercy of the dealer on a car out of warranty.

GM went from a user serviceable bottom mounterd fuel pump and sender assy, accessable by removal or the passenger rear wheel to a system that is top mounted, thereby requiring transaxle removal!

It's essentially Dealer only serviceable

in other words, the costs involved would exceed the amount I paid for my 33K mile C4
Yes, some C6 owners have experienced the fuel tank sending unit/ fuel pump/ fuel fittings failure. Gm will fix this issue for free if the repair is per their tsb. This poster is a glass half empty person because he has to focus in on one issue that MOST C6 don't have a problem with & ignores the huge performance & technology gains that the C6 has over the C4. My advice... Go get a C6 now & you will never look back
Old 07-25-2017, 01:19 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

After a number of months of C5 Vertt ownership, my appreciation to it has totally reversed upwards, while the C6, opposite. Tech is fine, until it breaks! Got that tee shirt in many colors!

My '84 sports a ZF6-40 which I like much better than the 4+3 which I liked, but tis a costly conversion.

I am starting to think that the C5 was the best overall Corvette ever for long term ownership.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:21 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

lsx engines have had the balancer issue going back much further than that, as said when they break the sticker shock will kill ya, its usually some stupid electrical thing. Torque tubes, trans differentials have a credit card ready youll need it.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:57 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
lsx engines have had the balancer issue going back much further than that, as said when they break the sticker shock will kill ya, its usually some stupid electrical thing. Torque tubes, trans differentials have a credit card ready youll need it.
Or when they don't break.

Two mufflers and "axle back piping" (two pieces of bent pipe about 2' long) = $1200.00. Retarded.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:59 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

Bought a new Base C6 with 1LT back in 2007 as a DD (all I could afford). I bought an extended warranty up to 75,000 miles. Mine developed the fuel sending unit problem at 50,000 miles. At 70,000 miles the right side dash light went out (have to change the right cluster circuit board as the light is soldered in) plus the driver power seat started to "rock" when pulling away from a stop. It was only a little rock but annoying and I knew it would get worse. Extended warranty payed for those problems.
Continued to drive up to 89,000 miles with no further problems other than the driver side upholstery needed replacing (side bolster wear, top seat and bottom). I traded for a C7 rather than buy new seat leather which Is not cheap. So I had the C6 for 8 years. A stock C6 is very quiet until you punch it and car will get up and fly. I was happy to be a C6 owner. I suggest you find some type of insurance that covers things like that If you buy one with high miles on it or learn how to fix it yourself.

Last edited by HAD2HAV2; 07-25-2017 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:38 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,709 Likes on 2,997 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Wow, I see that there are a lot of C6 haters on this thread, if you read the posts on the C6 or any other Corvette, you would think that they are all junk. Who bothers to post how much they love their car or how reliable it is? I actually own a C6 & LOVE the car, no gas leaks, electrical gremlins, no wobbling balancer, no nothing but a great car, so stick with your C4 & enjoy, I'll beep the horn as I go by you on the highway
Old 07-25-2017, 07:21 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by 449er
Wow, I see that there are a lot of C6 haters on this thread,
I'm sure there are more than enough C6 lovers too. I post my experience....b/c I wish someone had been honest enough to post one like it, before I bought mine. Cost me $10,000.00 to learn a lesson. If I knew then, what I know now, my first 'Vette would have been a C4. I tried to love my C6. I really did. I invested 3-1/2 years, payments, some mods/changes, etc to the thing. For ME, it just wasn't happening. Others will (obviously) feel differently. It has a lot to do w/expectations and what one is looking for in the ownership experience.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 to C6

Quick Reply: C4 to C6