C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a bad coil?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 11:30 AM
long_tall_texan
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Is this a bad coil?

So I noticed this broken part on one of my coils the other day. I initially thought no big deal. But then I happened to have Velocity channel on this weekend, and segment caught my eye as I was walking through the living room. The guys on Car Fix TV show were showing one just like this, and said it could cause a misfire. So I went ahead and ordered a new replacement one. But I'm interested to hear what y'all, the community think about it. BTW, I've never had any misfires. I just noticed it since I have everything apart fixing my LS7 heads...

Old 07-24-2017, 12:38 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

In theory it increases your chances of arcing to ground but I think the chances of actually doing so are near zero if the wire boot provides coverage far past the missing area.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:15 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 897 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by NY09C6
In theory it increases your chances of arcing to ground but I think the chances of actually doing so are near zero if the wire boot provides coverage far past the missing area.
This pretty much. I broke one of mine in the same fashion and was worried about it. The spark plug boot covers the gap so there is really no way for it to arch on anything.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:08 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Old 07-25-2017, 09:03 AM
long_tall_texan
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
So what you are saying is better to have all the insulation possible around the wires and connectors so you don't get spark through plastic like that?
Old 07-25-2017, 02:10 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Originally Posted by long_tall_texan
So what you are saying is better to have all the insulation possible around the wires and connectors so you don't get spark through plastic like that?

Yes, you want all of the coil socket wall ,and them the rubber boot over the coil socket wall, so you don't have any chance of arcing throw the two.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:25 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Very common. Never seen it cause an issue. With ls cars getting higher mileage this is becoming more common.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:49 PM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

Received 251 Likes on 196 Posts

Default Sparks in the dark....

Originally Posted by long_tall_texan
So I noticed this broken part on one of my coils the other day. I initially thought no big deal. But then I happened to have Velocity channel on this weekend, and segment caught my eye as I was walking through the living room. The guys on Car Fix TV show were showing one just like this, and said it could cause a misfire. So I went ahead and ordered a new replacement one. But I'm interested to hear what y'all, the community think about it. BTW, I've never had any misfires. I just noticed it since I have everything apart fixing my LS7 heads...

OP if you like to satisfy your curiosity as to whether or not sparks are not fully contained do this....

At night inside a garage or a very dark place all lights off idle the engine open hood and look at the coil, we do this on the dyno often if so is very revealing.

Get notified of new replies

To Is this a bad coil?

Quick Reply: Is this a bad coil?