C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How far have you driven your Corvette without your key fob?

Old 07-24-2017, 11:41 AM
Luke's Papa
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How far have you driven your Corvette without your key fob?

So the other day I had to drive to our camp site to meet the internet guy. It was nice out so a perfect day for a little drive in my 05 Base. I started the car and my TPMS light was on so I got out , put some air in it without turning off the car, and drove the 31 miles. When I got there I couldn't find my keys. I looked everywhere and no keys so I couldn't let the cable guy in. I drove home and the keys had fallen out of my pocket right by the air compressor. Anyone ever heard of that or gone even farther? Fortunately for me I didn't turn the car off at the camp site so I was able to drive home.
The following users liked this post:
PatriotZ (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 11:45 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Never. When I drove one of my C6s, the fob stayed in my pocket.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:48 AM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

I keep my fob on a keychain with my house keys. I don't leave home without them so I know the fob is always on me. I feel like keeping a fob separated from your other keys is an easy way to get it lost.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:00 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

0.0 miles.
Torchsport (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 03:19 PM
silverbullit99
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You only need the fob to start the car,, you can drive forever without it as long as you don't turn off the car..
Old 07-24-2017, 07:49 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

I don't DD my Corvette, so the FOB has no other keys on it. I grab the FOB, put it in my front pocket, and it stays there until I get back home and I put it away.

What kind of pants do you wear where the FOB can fall out of your pocket if you bend down?
Old 07-24-2017, 08:05 PM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Luke's Papa
So the other day I had to drive to our camp site to meet the internet guy. It was nice out so a perfect day for a little drive in my 05 Base. I started the car and my TPMS light was on so I got out , put some air in it without turning off the car, and drove the 31 miles. When I got there I couldn't find my keys. I looked everywhere and no keys so I couldn't let the cable guy in. I drove home and the keys had fallen out of my pocket right by the air compressor. Anyone ever heard of that or gone even farther? Fortunately for me I didn't turn the car off at the camp site so I was able to drive home.
About 5 miles home after getting a tire repair. I had my TPMS signal low air in my RR tire so went to get get it fixed since I found a screw embedded in the tread.

I drove the car to my tire shop and handed the fob to the tire man. When the car was finished he drove it out of the shop, hopped out, I jumped in a drove it home getting the "No Fob Detected" message which seemed odd since it had never happened before and I still wasn't completely familiar with the car.

When I got home I had a message on my answering machine from the tire store suggesting that I come and pick up my fob which I had to do using my daily driver since the Corvette wouldn't start.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:06 PM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Jeeze Luke ...apparently no one else has ever lost or misplaced anything...Ha... but glad it worked out for you... save the inconvenience and hassle.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:12 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Well it happened to a friend of mine just a few days ago. He was out with his wife and had her car. He stopped by my house after he dropped her off home. When he went to leave, he realized he didn't have the key. It wasn't a Corvette, but I had to drive him home in my vette so he could get the keys.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:24 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 214 Likes on 138 Posts

I drove 50 miles without my fob once. Started the car and had to go back into the house to get something. Left car running and left keys hanging in the door lock of my house. Got to my destination (a wedding), and when I tried to shut off the car, got the "FOB missing" message in the DIC, so I realized my mistake and didn't shut the car off and turned around and drove 50 miles back home. I left my wife at the wedding, and by the time I returned it was all over, but I still was able to attend the reception. Got to drive my car almost 200 miles that night and still had a nice dinner to boot (darn the bad luck).

It's a good thing I didn't turn the car off when I got to the wedding, because it was out in the middle of nowhere, and I would have been outta luck with no way home.

Last edited by CSixDude; 07-24-2017 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:38 PM
Gotta-Qik-C7
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

I drove about 10 miles home a couple months ago! I was at a party and gave a female friend a ride to her car. When she got out the Vette she grabbed my keys. I didn't notice till I got home and saw the NO FOB on the dash. Luckly she only lives a couple miles away and she came by and dropped my keys off! I wish the car would sound some type of audible alarm if it realizes the Fob is not in the car.....
Old 07-24-2017, 10:56 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 894 Posts

Originally Posted by silverbullit99
You only need the fob to start the car,, you can drive forever without it as long as you don't turn off the car..
Believe it or not it can be a b*tch to turn the car off without a fob.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:59 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,185 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by silverbullit99
Wrong.

You can turn it off, and you get a message on the DIC with ONE chance to turn it back on.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:14 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Gotta-Qik-C6
I drove about 10 miles home a couple months ago! I was at a party and gave a female friend a ride to her car. When she got out the Vette she grabbed my keys. I didn't notice till I got home and saw the NO FOB on the dash. Luckly she only lives a couple miles away and she came by and dropped my keys off! I wish the car would sound some type of audible alarm if it realizes the Fob is not in the car.....

Not a good idea to leave your FOB on the console. It should be kept in your pocket or purse. If you accidentally leave it inside and close the car doors, you can be locked out of your car.

Just a FYI.

P.S. My 2014 Ford does beep the horn if you get out of the running vehicle with the FOB.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:23 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Most C6s won't lock the fob inside when left on/in the center console, unless the fob battery is toast.

It's a good idea to test (with the windows open to retrieve the fob) exactly where the car will and will not "see" the fob when exiting (shutting the driver's door). Every car is different. The glove box antenna is the one doing the questing at this point. Keep in mind that this "map" of where the car can see the fob will shrink as the fob battery starts to fail.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:26 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 894 Posts

Originally Posted by ByRiver
Not a good idea to leave your FOB on the console. It should be kept in your pocket or purse. If you accidentally leave it inside and close the car doors, you can be locked out of your car.

Just a FYI.

P.S. My 2014 Ford does beep the horn if you get out of the running vehicle with the FOB.
My wife's new Yukon drives me crazy when she leaves her purse in the car with the fob in it of course to go around to another door to unload stuff. Pretty annoying!
Old 07-24-2017, 11:28 PM
owc6
Team Owner

I also forgot to add, that when auto lock is enabled, if two fobs are present, and one leaves, it will lock.

Get notified of new replies

To How far have you driven your Corvette without your key fob?

Old 07-25-2017, 01:40 AM
NOWUCME
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 323 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by owc6
I also forgot to add, that when auto lock is enabled, if two fobs are present, and one leaves, it will lock.
Did anyone mention that you can program the DIC to honk the horn if you get out, close the door, and the fob is still in the car, at least with just one fob around?
89talon (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 08:19 AM
Gotta-Qik-C7
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by NOWUCME
Did anyone mention that you can program the DIC to honk the horn if you get out, close the door, and the fob is still in the car, at least with just one fob around?
Yup. It'll blow the horn 3 times! But still no AUDIBLE warning if you drive off without the Fob.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:50 AM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Originally Posted by saplumr
My wife's new Yukon drives me crazy when she leaves her purse in the car with the fob in it of course to go around to another door to unload stuff. Pretty annoying!

That is annoying!!

Also, the Ford won't allow you to lock the doors if you leave the FOB inside and the engine is shut off. So assuming you care if your doors are left unlocked, that is a reminder you left the FOB inside the vehicle.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How far have you driven your Corvette without your key fob?