C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

door handle lock cylinder

Old 07-24-2017, 03:58 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Default door handle lock cylinder

Can I take the lock cylinder from my old broken door handle and replace the one in the handle assembly I bought to use, or will I need a different key for that door from now on?
Old 07-24-2017, 04:17 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

I dunno for sure, but mine was missing the key and I bought two complete lock cylinders from Rock Auto. If mine are the right part (And they assure me they are) then, yes! You can just swap the cylinder over and use your old key.

They appear to be held in with a clip like other GM cylinders, but I don't have them installed because the repaint hasn't taken me to the door innards yet.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:51 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

I keep trying to find anything online that shows how to remove it I really need to put the handle in.

Someone here has done this Im sure please help
Old 07-24-2017, 06:21 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

I got it apart finally

Old 07-24-2017, 07:10 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,016 Posts

If the escutcheon and the door come off of that cylinder you're going to have an interesting experience reassembling it. It's NOT often that the escutcheon and door stay with the cylinder. The W retainers I'd say you understand now. Is the handle removed from your car yet OR is that the handle form the car? I'm guessing that since the cable tie is in the snapshot it's your replacement handle.

It might be an interesting 'training episode' to remove the escutcheon and door being very careful that the door hinge doesn't fall of and practice reassembly. When the escutcheon and door come off you'll have 2 cylindrical springs that are required. The parts are pretty well displayed in this Ecklers kit. I might have a better - I'll look. Don't loose the W retainers.

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...hoCJFoQAvD_BwE

Since this is the first you might take the old handle still assembled with a key that rotates and have a locksmith or experienced person assemble it for you.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-24-2017 at 07:17 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:39 AM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

You are sure right about that. The `new` handle had a tag on it that was still on in the photo.

That door that covers the key hole is a big pita I had the pin come out on my `new` one and had to get it back in with the spring in the right position that holds the flap shut.

Getting that piece to stay in the top of the cylinder was unreliable. One time it would stay and finally got it back together.

Of course the one I needed to use `original keyed one`had to go in but the cover piece on that one wouldn't stay for anything and I racked my brain enough on it. I dropped them in and got lucky it went together.

My big problem was the ext handle nor the interior handle would release the latch. I found that the door lock rod that goes to the int handle was jammed. Probably the same thing that was jamming the cylinder from turning (started right after I finally got a key made for it)

I got the latch to release by using a pair of vice grips to to move the rod back and forth but I don't know if it was the latch itself jammed or maybe the power lock actuator.

I lost the circle clip that holds the the lock ear or lobe to the cylinder end so I need to find one to fit it.

Also (maybe just because it got dark and my arms were sore by then) I couldn't get the rod clip into the handle it looks like maybe this handle has a smaller hole in it for the rod/clip to go into than the one I removed has. Im going to try some other clips.

Did they use a smaller diameter rod in other years of c4? Do you know what size of circle clip I need to find?
Old 07-25-2017, 08:27 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,016 Posts

Originally Posted by ToniJ1960

I lost the circle clip that holds the the lock ear or lobe to the cylinder end so I need to find one to fit it.

Also (maybe just because it got dark and my arms were sore by then) I couldn't get the rod clip into the handle it looks like maybe this handle has a smaller hole in it for the rod/clip to go into than the one I removed has. Im going to try some other clips.

Did they use a smaller diameter rod in other years of c4? Do you know what size of circle clip I need to find?
Visit a GM parts dept, an older dealer will likely have loose springs, escutcheons, e-clips, shutters and I'd think just hand you a couple shutter assemblies. A local locksmith also. I'd do several practice assemblies to confirm correct assembly. If it fails and one of the smaller cylindrical springs for the escutcheon ends up in the key-way you need to remove the handle again to correct it.

A C4 door I'd think you want the correct stuff the first time. Depending on hand size handle removal can be quite interesting.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-25-2017 at 08:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
kbuhagiar (08-28-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To door handle lock cylinder

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: door handle lock cylinder