C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borgeson questions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 09:26 PM
olelucky
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Borgeson questions?

I finished installing my borgeson steering upgrade this evening and have a couple of questions. Once installed, I raised the tires and turned left and right to fill/prime the unit and lines. It was binding as i was turning. The grease zert on the drivers inner tie-rod end was hitting the lower control arm. Is there a remedy for this?
#2 I did a test drive (removed the zert) and it steers much better and quicker. but it takes a lot more effort to steer it on the road. Almost like no p/s at all. It seems like its got resistance while on the highway. Is this normal? Any suggestions?
72 coupe p/s
thanks
Old 07-25-2017, 12:24 AM
stumpshot
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

No, that is not normal. My 75 turns lock to lock using the palm of my hand. Don't know what the problem is unless your pump is bad or not enough fluid. Borgeson does have a high cut gear at center so the wheel doesn't get touchy on the freeway. Double check everything and get a new alignment to Borgeson's specs.
Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
olelucky (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 08:39 AM
Capt Ken
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default re

I did not have those issues, I do remember it took a long time to bleed all the air out of the system. After completion, I think I read to turn the PS pump backwards until no more bubbles appear, then do the lock to lock, then backwards again until no bubbles. Does the zerk hit with the tires on the ground?
Old 07-25-2017, 03:04 PM
Neil B
Drifting

Received 110 Likes on 85 Posts

The zerk fitting does get really close to the control arm, especially when the suspension is unloaded on jackstands. You can get low profile zerk fittings to remedy this.
The following users liked this post:
olelucky (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 04:48 PM
olelucky
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I talked to Gill at Borgeson today. He said they have heard of the clearance issues concerning the grease fitting. He recommended getting a plug or low profile fitting. He said the resistance at highway speed is normal. thanks to all

Get notified of new replies

To Borgeson questions?

Quick Reply: Borgeson questions?