Old 07-24-2017, 09:57 PM
pajones321
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heads light intermittantly do not open

I have a 1999 c5.
The headlights fail to open on consistent basis
The light do illuminate but they don't pop open consistently
Often I have to shut the car off/turn back on and eventually they work.
Once open, they do shut off after a few minutes
This happens in auto and manual mode.
Any ideas on what I should consider to fix the problem?
Thanks!
Pat
Old 07-24-2017, 11:19 PM
001pewter
Race Director

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts
St.. Jude Donor '17-'18

Factory style bulbs or hids?
Old 07-24-2017, 11:57 PM
C3w4sp
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Multifunction switch in the steering column. Several contacts internally in the switch are copper tabs that slowly loose their tension against their respective contacts. Yours are loosing their ability to effectively complete the circuit. Likely when it's hot they don't go up.

Do a search for the multifunction. Several good threads on how to replace, there was a stretch awhile back when there was limited availability. There was a thread on how to disassemble the switch, clean the contacts, and bend some tension into the tabs. I did this, but it eventually failed again. PITA, just buy the switch.

I eventually replaced it, no issues, all working properly.

Last edited by C3w4sp; 07-25-2017 at 12:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (07-25-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 06:29 AM
pajones321
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 001pewter
Factory style bulbs or hids?
Factory, no modifications
Old 07-26-2017, 06:31 AM
pajones321
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by C3w4sp
Multifunction switch in the steering column. Several contacts internally in the switch are copper tabs that slowly loose their tension against their respective contacts. Yours are loosing their ability to effectively complete the circuit. Likely when it's hot they don't go up.

Do a search for the multifunction. Several good threads on how to replace, there was a stretch awhile back when there was limited availability. There was a thread on how to disassemble the switch, clean the contacts, and bend some tension into the tabs. I did this, but it eventually failed again. PITA, just buy the switch.

I eventually replaced it, no issues, all working properly.

Thanks....The switch on the end of the turn single handle, or internal to the steering column itself?
Old 07-26-2017, 07:44 AM
calvins
Safety Car

Received 237 Likes on 108 Posts
Oldtimer

When you turn 'em on, do you hear the motors running like they should be going up? If so, I'd guess your plastic gears are shot. Replacing them with metal ones would fix it if that's the case. Kinda weird that they'd both go at the same time though, usually in that case, one will work and one won't.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:21 AM
C3w4sp
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by pajones321
Thanks....The switch on the end of the turn single handle, or internal to the steering column itself?
it's a sub assembly that includes the blinker lever. It's is attached to the steering column with a couple of small torx screws. The column clam shell covers have to be removed to access it. One of the torx screws backs out to the back of the steering wheel. The service manual says the steering wheel has to be removed, I found that a torx bit and a 1/4" box end wrench removed the screw. No need to remove the wheel. The part has a single connector to the vehicles wiring harness. Simple plug in. The assembly operates the turn signals, cruse control, headlight doors up and down, dash lights, running lights, headlamps and high beams.

I will see if I have the old one still in the garage, I can post a pic of the thing.

like the post above, if the headlight door motor is stripping the gear that's a different matter. They have nylon gears in them and they can strip the teeth. If that's the case you will know, it makes a horrible sound like a small very rapid automatic weapon.

Here's a link on repairing it:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...f-replace.html

And a how to remove it link:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...-a-how-to.html

Last edited by C3w4sp; 07-28-2017 at 11:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
pajones321 (08-03-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Heads light intermittantly do not open

Quick Reply: Heads light intermittantly do not open