C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1984 corvette vacuum leaks

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 05:51 PM
Mathew Malbone
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1984 corvette vacuum leaks

Where does this plug into it is carb instead of cross fire fuel injection

This hose is disconnected goes to the tank thing in left of picture

I cannot find anywere telling me where these hoses go im lost
Old 07-25-2017, 06:40 PM
MikeP84
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

First pic is a PVC valve, it normally runs to intake to create vacuum.

Second pic is the AIR pump, it pumps air into the intake, not really needed in carb set up (I think)

Third pic is the charcoal canister, you can look up diagrams on the net for how its supposed to be set up.

Forth pic is of the map sensor, not used for carb set ups

Last edited by MikeP84; 07-25-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:42 PM
Mathew Malbone
Heel & Toe

Where is the intake?
Old 07-25-2017, 06:44 PM
Mathew Malbone
Heel & Toe

The secound pic is blowing air like crazy
Old 07-25-2017, 06:47 PM
MikeP84
Racer

yeah, it wont hurt to just blow air. if you plan to keep the carb set up you can just remove it completely from the car. I can explain how to do that if youd like.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:00 PM
Mathew Malbone
Heel & Toe

If it is not needed then yes that would be awesome it was idling perfect last night now its not idling its a 383 stroker motor i bought car off of my dad he let it sit for years and years ive been flushing radiator on it the oil ia perfect im concerned gas is bad this thing is just turning into a nightmare especially sence im a carpenter any help or advice is seriously appreciated im willing to learn and hunt for info just dont understand much of what im reading
Old 07-25-2017, 07:12 PM
MikeP84
Racer

That's quit alright as we all have to start the learning curve somewhere. This site is great and lots of people are willing to help. I would replace the fuel filter and fuel first and hope it runs better. Being that it is a carbureted motor and has been sitting awhile I would also recommend taking the carb to a mechanic shop to get rebuilt if it doesn't run better after it has new gas and filter.

Edit: I will post a pic of my engine bay with no Air pump soon

Last edited by MikeP84; 07-25-2017 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:24 PM
Mathew Malbone
Heel & Toe

How do i drain fuel tank? the fuel filter is that located in fuel pump? And ok i appreciate the help its been idling past couple days when i was flushing radiator but it died on me sence then its not idling unless i give tiny bit of gas
Old 07-25-2017, 07:43 PM
MikeP84
Racer

Sounds like a dirty fuel filter to me. I'm not sure if your motor has a conventional style fuel pump or the stock one in the car. I'm guess its the stock one, in which case there is a small strainer inside the tank but the actually filter is on the passenger side of car behind the wheel. I can put up a photo later if youd like. There may be rubber lines that you can drain the fuel from.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:12 PM
Mathew Malbone
Heel & Toe

My fuel pump is under passenger side behind front tire hooked to two rubber hoses the one in back leads to metal hose within couple inches
Old 07-25-2017, 09:23 PM
MikeP84
Racer

Here is how it will look with it removed. All you do is remove all of that crap and block off the ports that come from the exhaust manifolds and one that runs to the catalytic converter. I just crimped the small tube that comes out of the catalytic converter. You may have different exhaust manifolds and will not have to worry about blocking them off. If you have stock manifolds you will have to source out something to lock the lines off. Once you remove all of that you will have to get a shorter belt, the one I'm using is 6PK2150 850K6. I believe the only number you need to give to an auto parts store for the shorter belt is 850K6. Then just run it like mine
Old 07-25-2017, 09:26 PM
MikeP84
Racer

Originally Posted by Mathew Malbone
My fuel pump is under passenger side behind front tire hooked to two rubber hoses the one in back leads to metal hose within couple inches
That would be your fuel filter, can just ask auto parts store to look it up for you. I would try to pinch the rubber line closer to gas tank with some vise grips so it doesn't leak fuel every where when you remove filter
Old 07-25-2017, 10:23 PM
Mathew Malbone
Heel & Toe

It says fuel pump right on it i think whoever did mods took out fuel filter and replaces it with fuel pump and if i dont want to remove it can i just cap it? Or just let it blow freely?
Old 07-25-2017, 10:25 PM
Mathew Malbone
Heel & Toe

Can i just go before fuel pump and put in fuel filter or does the filter have to come after pump?
Old 07-25-2017, 10:47 PM
MikeP84
Racer

Originally Posted by Mathew Malbone
It says fuel pump right on it i think whoever did mods took out fuel filter and replaces it with fuel pump and if i dont want to remove it can i just cap it? Or just let it blow freely?
Oo ok, hmm well then I am curious if it has the original fuel pump in the car still or not. In addition to that I am not sure if it has a fuel filter at all without actually looking at car. I would highly recommend you start from the tank and follow the line all the way up to the carb to see if there is a fuel filter in it. You can just let the Air pump blow freely. It will not effect anything. It is pretty easy to remove tho. Hopefully my picture kinda shows how it all will come out and what will actually be removed.

As for where to put a fuel filter, if it does not have one, it is kind of a personal opinion. Some would say before pump to keep debris out of it and destroying it. Others would say after/as close to the carb as possible to insure no particles from fuel line itself get into the carb. So it doesn't really matter. I would say before pump or anywhere that is easy to install a filter. But check to make sure you don't have one before installing a new one.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:04 PM
Mathew Malbone
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by MikeP84
Oo ok, hmm well then I am curious if it has the original fuel pump in the car still or not. In addition to that I am not sure if it has a fuel filter at all without actually looking at car. I would highly recommend you start from the tank and follow the line all the way up to the carb to see if there is a fuel filter in it. You can just let the Air pump blow freely. It will not effect anything. It is pretty easy to remove tho. Hopefully my picture kinda shows how it all will come out and what will actually be removed.

As for where to put a fuel filter, if it does not have one, it is kind of a personal opinion. Some would say before pump to keep debris out of it and destroying it. Others would say after/as close to the carb as possible to insure no particles from fuel line itself get into the carb. So it doesn't really matter. I would say before pump or anywhere that is easy to install a filter. But check to make sure you don't have one before installing a new one.
I have traced line back no filter
Draining gas now is rebuilding carb something i can do i can rebuild dirtbike carb do they have to sync after rebuild?
Old 07-26-2017, 06:22 PM
MikeP84
Racer

No filter hu. Well then you can buy one from an auto parts store and install it. I would recommend having them look up which filter is sock and just using that one.

I don't know much about carbs so I can help ya there. I understand how they work and some minor adjustments/tuning but not enough. I would just take it to a professional, and while they are doing that you can focus on other things you want to do.

O also when you put new gas in, disconnect the line just in front of pump and let gas work its way through lines and into pump. Might have to siphon it to make gas work its way through the line. If you hook up everything, put gas in and just let pump try to pull gas from tank it will burn out the pump or at the least not work.

Last edited by MikeP84; 07-26-2017 at 06:27 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1984 corvette vacuum leaks

Old 07-26-2017, 06:24 PM
Mathew Malbone
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by MikeP84
No filter hu. Well then you can buy one from an auto parts store and install it. I would recommend having them look up which filter is sock and just using that one.

I don't know much about carbs so I can help ya there. I understand how they work and some minor adjustments/tuning but not enough. I would just take it to a professional, and while they are doing that you can focus on other things you want to do.
do you think i should drop the tank or is that pump going to get the job done gas wise
Old 07-26-2017, 06:32 PM
MikeP84
Racer

Honestly if you really wanted to make sure the tank didn't have anything left in it or that there wasn't any rust in there you can check without having to drop the tank. You can look down into the tank from the top after removing the sending unit and the stock pump. If you want to do that you could check why the original pump isn't being used. I'm not sure why it isn't, doesn't make any sense why its not.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:33 PM
MikeP84
Racer

Also make sure you prime the pump like I explained in post #17

Quick Reply: 1984 corvette vacuum leaks