Road noise - another solution?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 11:52 PM
murtro
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Default Road noise - another solution?

It strikes me that most of the cabin noise is road noise particularly on rough pavement. I have the block it drop in mats and I think they help a bit.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried any type of undercoating inside of the wheel wells. I would think that a Line-x type of product inside the wheel wells would prevent the noise from entering the cabin to start with?

Thoughts?
Old 07-26-2017, 11:56 PM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

If road noise bothers you in a Corvette your hearing much be much better than mine. Fairly quiet car for one with such fatty tires. Nearly as quiet as my previous Lexus.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:06 AM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Received 3,496 Likes on 1,893 Posts

Best answer is rip out the interior and Dynamat every surface. Several threads around here by brave soles who did this themselves. Another option is to sell your block-it to me and trade the vette for a CT6, already fully insulated.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:24 AM
ea327
Drifting

Received 703 Likes on 402 Posts

Or... Just get a convertible
Old 07-27-2017, 12:39 AM
murtro
Instructor

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ls3zob
Best answer is rip out the interior and Dynamat every surface. Several threads around here by brave soles who did this themselves. Another option is to sell your block-it to me and trade the vette for a CT6, already fully insulated.
Yes I've read all about Dynamat. Wouldn't an exterior solution in the wheel wells be easier and more effective actually?
Old 07-27-2017, 12:40 AM
murtro
Instructor

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ea327
Or... Just get a convertible
Targa top is the best of both worlds IMHO - particularly with the transparent top!
Old 07-27-2017, 12:51 AM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Received 3,496 Likes on 1,893 Posts

Originally Posted by murtro
Yes I've read all about Dynamat. Wouldn't an exterior solution in the wheel wells be easier and more effective actually?
Problem is, they already swapped the plastic for the "carpeting" in our wheelwells to quiet things down. Unless you have someone manufacture thicker, quieter wheelwell liners to exact specs, I can't see how it would work. Even then, saving weight was the driving force behind the c7, not luxury and silence. We still lack a lot of insulation. That got traded for weight savings.
The following users liked this post:
murtro (07-27-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 11:04 AM
LimeRock
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I thought about doing that but the weight of the product on the thin material might be an issue. Was going to take the liner out and spray the insides of the body.

But I got some mat on sale and went to town instead.

Last edited by LimeRock; 07-27-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:13 AM
Panhead51
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

The easiest and cheapest solution for me was to just turn the radio up.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:11 PM
FLATJ
Pro

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

Bought a Jake rear cargo area mat and it took the edge off the road noise.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:03 PM
Yellow1980
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I've had an after market rear cargo mat since day one, and never thought there was a road noise issue. Quieter than my 1980 was.
murtro (07-27-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 05:12 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Drive a McLaren 570s if you want road noise. More than my C7. That is just part of the bargain if you want a full blown sports car. Just sit back and enjoy it. You'll get used to it.
VNAMVET (07-27-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 05:19 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

It strikes me that most of the cabin noise is road noise particularly on rough pavement. I have the block it drop in mats and I think they help a bit.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried any type of undercoating inside of the wheel wells. I would think that a Line-x type of product inside the wheel wells would prevent the noise from entering the cabin to start with?

Thoughts?
Your right smooth roads ok. But a lot of highways are noisy.
Non run flats help a small amount.
Originally Posted by vbdenny
If road noise bothers you in a Corvette your hearing much be much better than mine. Fairly quiet car for one with such fatty tires. Nearly as quiet as my previous Lexus.
IMO Not even close. Corvette is noisy compared to any Lexus.
Originally Posted by ls3zob
Problem is, they already swapped the plastic for the "carpeting" in our wheelwells to quiet things down. Unless you have someone manufacture thicker, quieter wheelwell liners to exact specs, I can't see how it would work. Even then, saving weight was the driving force behind the c7, not luxury and silence. We still lack a lot of insulation. That got traded for weight savings.
I'm owning Corvette number 9 right now and they all had tire noise. Esp on certain road surfaces.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:24 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Your least invasive solution is a quieter set of tires. The block it mat was enough for me in my Z06 but if you want to knock it down further Dynamat or other damping will help.

If you want much quieter then you end up with something like a CTS-V and all of the weight that goes with making a quieter cabin. GM caught a bunch of flack when the C7 (and especially the Z06) were introduced because of the weight and any significant sound deadening is going to add significant weight.

Also be careful when looking at different noise deadening solutions how the improvement was measured because both the frequency and the precise characteristic of the noise have a lot to do with how we perceive its irritation level and a simple measurement of peak reduction in db doesn't tell you much. A great example is the use of white noise and similar sound machines that mask an irritating noise with a more pleasant sound, the peak loudness is higher but it is of a characteristic that humans find non-irritating.

Last edited by NSC5; 07-27-2017 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:05 PM
murtro
Instructor

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Yellow1980
I've had an after market rear cargo mat since day one, and never thought there was a road noise issue. Quieter than my 1980 was.
I have one too - and you are right - the road noise isn't back unless you are on rough payment. Just looking for ideas for further easy improvement if possible.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:30 PM
Crazy Cowboy
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 120 Likes on 91 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Our Extreme insulation kit cuts interior noise levels better than any other kit out there that I'm aware of. You could go completely crazy like we did on one C6 years ago and remove wheel well liners, rubberized sound deaden the under side of the entire car even removing the exhaust and plate to insulate with high-temp insulation in the torque tube tunnel. I can tell you that car was quieter than my 2014 BMW M6 inside but it was more work than I would do again.

Our Extreme Kit for the C7 drops interior noise levels about 10db on average which is A LOT. We've been selling our Pre-Cut insulation kits for over a decade and well over 1,000 forum members alone have installed them or had them installed. The Extreme Kit started with the C7 in late 2013 and has been our biggest seller yet. We are currently waiting on material to arrive Tuesday sometime so we're offering $35 off on the Extreme Kit if ordered before the end of the weekend. (just email or put a note in the payment comment to get the discount refunded back to you )

Here's a video I made recently. It's more to show you the db reduction with a meter than the actual sound because through a computer speaker or even a stereo speaker system you would never get an accurate interpretation of the noise levels. I can tell you that phone calls, simple conversations, and just quiet time highway cruising on road-trips is so much quieter and relaxing.

http://www.exoticvette.com/page-13831341.html
Old 07-27-2017, 10:04 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Thoughts?
There are a lot of threads on this, and I agree that it's road noise you're hearing if you own a coupe. I put a Weathertech mat on top of the cargo compartment carpeting, and installed Hush Mat on the vertical bulkhead behind the seats, and the noise was much, much improved.

Some people do a full installation of Hush Mat or similar on the entire interior, but that's time consuming and expensive if you have it done professionally. What I did took about an hour.

Old 07-28-2017, 10:02 AM
pwj155
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I used rattle trap with frost king on top of that from the bulkhead back, what a difference it made!

Get notified of new replies

To Road noise - another solution?

Quick Reply: Road noise - another solution?