C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Waterfall Not Closing All The Way

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 10:18 AM
daustin173
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Waterfall Not Closing All The Way

I have a 2007 C6 Convertible and the waterfall just started having an issue. Occasionally, the waterfall/boot won't close all the way. I have to push the lift top button and then re-close it to make it latch. It just started doing this. Any suggestions or is this a dealer issue.

Thanks!
Old 07-27-2017, 10:51 AM
rhoyvald
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by daustin173
I have a 2007 C6 Convertible and the waterfall just started having an issue. Occasionally, the waterfall/boot won't close all the way. I have to push the lift top button and then re-close it to make it latch. It just started doing this. Any suggestions or is this a dealer issue.

Thanks!
Mine (05) just started doing that too - so just tagging on to this thread. The waterfall hits the rear window section when coming down too...

Last edited by rhoyvald; 07-27-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:16 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

The "waterfall" is the portion that sits stationary in the interior of the car with the crossed flags emblem on it. I assume that you guys mean the "Tanneau" (sp) cover ??

Last edited by windyC6; 07-27-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:18 AM
rhoyvald
Instructor

Originally Posted by windyC6
The "waterfall" is the portion of that sits stationary in the interior of the car with the crossed flags emblem on it. I assume that you guys mean the "Tanneau" (sp) cover ??
Yes
Old 07-27-2017, 11:33 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

I have been having this type of issue for a while now. I may have narrowed it down to the switch on top of the pull down latch. But thats a maybe. The pull down latch is that squared looking ring that you see behind the waterfall. When ready it's spose to grab the tanneau and pull it down all the way. Mine works off and on with no consistency, so you know whats gonna happen if I take it to a dealer...yep....it's gonna work fine. Thats part of the reason I haven't taken it in yet. Just like one post mentioned, I have to cycle the top back up a bit and then push the down button again to get it to close. If you look closely at the pull down latch, you can see a small tab sticking out. This tab is what contacts the switch. I'm guessing that maybe the switch is going bad and when the little tab contacts the switch it isn't working correctly. I've been experimenting with different things but thats as far as i've gotten. Sorry I can't be of more help. Let us know if you find anything....
Old 07-27-2017, 01:10 PM
rhoyvald
Instructor

I have been having this type of issue for a while now. I may have narrowed it down to the switch on top of the pull down latch. But thats a maybe. The pull down latch is that squared looking ring that you see behind the waterfall. When ready it's spose to grab the tanneau and pull it down all the way. Mine works off and on with no consistency, so you know whats gonna happen if I take it to a dealer...yep....it's gonna work fine. Thats part of the reason I haven't taken it in yet. Just like one post mentioned, I have to cycle the top back up a bit and then push the down button again to get it to close. If you look closely at the pull down latch, you can see a small tab sticking out. This tab is what contacts the switch. I'm guessing that maybe the switch is going bad and when the little tab contacts the switch it isn't working correctly. I've been experimenting with different things but thats as far as i've gotten. Sorry I can't be of more help. Let us know if you find anything....
You described my issue exactly - same issue! I'll check mine out to see if I see anything out of the ordinary.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:23 PM
rvsullivan
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21

Originally Posted by rhoyvald
You described my issue exactly - same issue! I'll check mine out to see if I see anything out of the ordinary.

You're talking about the tonneau? Does it matter if you're opening or closing it?
Old 07-27-2017, 01:28 PM
rhoyvald
Instructor

Originally Posted by rvsullivan
You're talking about the tonneau? Does it matter if you're opening or closing it?
Just closing it and yes the tonneau - it will close almost completely - but doesn't (up about 1/4") then I hit the button up to open it a little then down and then it completely closes and it doesn't so this all the time either. Strange
The following users liked this post:
ButWhatDoIKnow (04-19-2021)
Old 07-27-2017, 01:34 PM
Charlie in TX
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine started giving the problems you (ya'll) are describing. I had to start pushing the tanneau down to get it to latch. One day things went bad and I heard a load crunch. Replaced http://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/acd...own+motor,1544 and all was right with the world again. Took less than an hour if I recall.
The following 3 users liked this post by Charlie in TX:
ButWhatDoIKnow (04-19-2021), LedZepper (07-29-2017), rhoyvald (07-28-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 01:36 PM
Charlie in TX
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I was amazed at the different cars it fits.

BUICK PARK AVENUE 1991-1996
BUICK RIVIERA 1989-1993
BUICK ROADMASTER 1992-1996
CADILLAC 60 SPECIAL 1993
CADILLAC ALLANTE 1993
CADILLAC BROUGHAM 1992
CADILLAC COMMERCIAL CHASSIS 1992
CADILLAC DEVILLE 1991-1999
CADILLAC ELDORADO 1989-2002
CADILLAC FLEETWOOD 1991-1996
CADILLAC SEVILLE 1989-1997
CHEVROLET CORVETTE 2005-2013
OLDSMOBILE 98 1992-1996
OLDSMOBILE TORONADO 1989
Old 07-27-2017, 02:29 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Just closing it and yes the tonneau - it will close almost completely - but doesn't (up about 1/4") then I hit the button up to open it a little then down and then it completely closes and it doesn't so this all the time either. Strange
Exactly. And after you cycle it back up a bit if you watch the pull down latch it will start rising. Then you know it's gonna grab the tanneau and pull it down. This seems to happen after you hear that noise that sounds like a "ricochet" for lack of a better explanation. Or at least thats the way mine sounds.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:24 AM
onemortoy
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Repair window issue

Mine (05) just started doing that too - so just tagging on to this thread. The waterfall hits the rear window section when coming down too...
I repaired the window hitting issue by replacing the old stretched webbing with a 5" piece on flat bungee cord on either side. I found the "fix" on the forum, but I don't recall the title.
rhoyvald (07-31-2017)
Old 07-29-2017, 11:15 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by onemortoy
I repaired the window hitting issue by replacing the old stretched webbing with a 5" piece on flat bungee cord on either side. I found the "fix" on the forum, but I don't recall the title.
This is common on most verts at least after awhile. The strap stretches. There is a TSB on this or you can use your hand to guide the top when top is going down so that it won't hit the tonneau cover. You can modify the existing strap or order a new pair.
rhoyvald (07-31-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 10:14 AM
my1970conv
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 93 Posts

I have been having this issue for a little while now... I'm not convinced that it's the lid pull down motor... this only happens to me the first time that I put the top down when it hasn't been in the down position for a few days. When this happens, it's like the top isn't being "compressed" enough by the tonneau cover, so it does not catch the latch and pull down completely. After I raise and lower the tonneau a second time, it compresses it more and it closes completely. I can open/close the top several times that day, and it works perfectly fine. It's only on the first try when a few days have passed.
I actually opened another thread just yesterday as I did not find this one because of the waterfall/tonneau confusion... my other post is titled "Convertible top operation... is it just me?"...
Someone mentioned to check the oil level in the convertible top motor, and also to ensure that the pressure relief valve is tightened. This is the motor that is located over behind the passenger seat under the carpet. Look at my post to see a picture of it.
I'm going to take a look at those 2 things (oil and pressure valve).
rhoyvald (08-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 10:41 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by my1970conv
Someone mentioned to check the oil level in the convertible top motor, and also to ensure that the pressure relief valve is tightened. This is the motor that is located over behind the passenger seat under the carpet. Look at my post to see a picture of it.
If both of these check out, the problem is your motor.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:11 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

I have been having this issue for a little while now... I'm not convinced that it's the lid pull down motor... this only happens to me the first time that I put the top down when it hasn't been in the down position for a few days. When this happens, it's like the top isn't being "compressed" enough by the tonneau cover, so it does not catch the latch and pull down completely. After I raise and lower the tonneau a second time, it compresses it more and it closes completely. I can open/close the top several times that day, and it works perfectly fine. It's only on the first try when a few days have passed.
I actually opened another thread just yesterday as I did not find this one because of the waterfall/tonneau confusion... my other post is titled "Convertible top operation... is it just me?"...
I believe I am having the same exact problem that you are.
have you observed the pull down latch to see what its doing during this cycle ? When its working correctly, the pull down latch will go down and then come back up to grab the tanneau. When it doesn't work correctly, the pull down latch will go down and stay down while the tanneau is coming down. Obviously I can't see whats going on while the tanneau is over the latch, but for some reason the latch is not high enough to grab the tanneau and pull it down all the way. I believe that chasing the hydro fluid block may not be prudent because the pull down latch is electrical. But this is a C-6 with GM's best engineers () design behind it so I guess anythings possible.....
Old 08-01-2017, 01:35 PM
my1970conv
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 93 Posts

I believe I am having the same exact problem that you are.
have you observed the pull down latch to see what its doing during this cycle ? When its working correctly, the pull down latch will go down and then come back up to grab the tanneau. When it doesn't work correctly, the pull down latch will go down and stay down while the tanneau is coming down. Obviously I can't see whats going on while the tanneau is over the latch, but for some reason the latch is not high enough to grab the tanneau and pull it down all the way. I believe that chasing the hydro fluid block may not be prudent because the pull down latch is electrical. But this is a C-6 with GM's best engineers () design behind it so I guess anythings possible.....
Hi windyC6... I haven't had the chance to take a close look at the pull down latch yet... hope to get to it soon... I guess I'm only questioning the pull down latch because if it were defective, I would expect it not to work on a regular basis. The only time this happens to me is when I haven't put the top down in a few days. It won't shut properly on the first attempt. When I do get it to close properly, anytime after that I can open and close with no problems.
So instead of maybe the pull down latch not being high enough to catch the tonneau cover, I'm saying that maybe it's the tonneau cover that's not low enough for the latch to catch it... and that could potentially be a hydraulic issue of maybe the top not compressing enough, or the tonneau not compressing the top enough for the latch to catch the tonneau.
I'll have to take a closer look at what's happening to the pull down latch, but why would it only happen once i guess is my question.
Thanks...

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Waterfall Not Closing All The Way

Old 08-01-2017, 02:29 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Hi windyC6... I haven't had the chance to take a close look at the pull down latch yet... hope to get to it soon... I guess I'm only questioning the pull down latch because if it were defective, I would expect it not to work on a regular basis. The only time this happens to me is when I haven't put the top down in a few days. It won't shut properly on the first attempt. When I do get it to close properly, anytime after that I can open and close with no problems.
So instead of maybe the pull down latch not being high enough to catch the tonneau cover, I'm saying that maybe it's the tonneau cover that's not low enough for the latch to catch it... and that could potentially be a hydraulic issue of maybe the top not compressing enough, or the tonneau not compressing the top enough for the latch to catch the tonneau.
I'll have to take a closer look at what's happening to the pull down latch, but why would it only happen once i guess is my question.
Thanks...
You bring up some good points about the tanneau and hydro fluid. As mentioned anything is possible. I've been chasing this issue off and on for a while now. Last thing I did was add a small pieces of hard plastic hose to the little tab on the latch ring so it would contact the switch sooner and/or better. Seemed like it helped, but I may just be in denial....LOL. I'm gonna keep chasing it and sooner or later maybe we'll get a fix......
Old 04-16-2021, 06:38 PM
DaveJB
Heel & Toe

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by daustin173

Thanks!
Wow, I hate to dig up an old post but I nobody has replied to nearly any of these that I saw. Odd, the way this thread loaded I only saw the first post. Anyway, this should still help.

I'll reply for anyone else. First, mine broke today too. Lately it had troubles closing and it would make a ratcheting sound. I'd slap it with my hand to close. Today, it seemed to really struggle, the hand slap didn't work so I jammed it with my elbow. This sort of broke the whole mechanism. The clear plastic just snapped. The replacement part isn't that bad at $255 so not worried about that. But I wanted to help others. I realize now that I think I caused it all. In the trunk, there's a small area under the storage area for the top. I had been storing a blanket and other cloth things under there. I now realize it had been pushing the ... panel upward. I don't know how to describe it better but basically I was causing there to be less room for the top to store so it was sitting up higher and therefore causing the latch to struggle to close it. Lesson learned, don't put anything much taller than an inch or two in that space. I hope I help someone. I'll paste this as a new thread too.

Last edited by DaveJB; 04-16-2021 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:45 AM
samhillus
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The tension arms have been discontinued by GM. I can not find anywhere any suggestions?

Quick Reply: C6 Waterfall Not Closing All The Way