C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Concerned.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 10:33 AM
NNNInvestment
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Concerned.

So I just had a question for all the forum members for the Z06. I really like everything about the car, but when I read all the different threads on the forum it seems there's a lot of negativity about the car whether it be the paint issue, overheating, transmission issues, etc. now I know that there's a very small percentage of people on this forum compared to the actual owners of the Corvette. Is this something I should be concerned with or should I just order the car. Now I know coming out of a 911, the quality will not be the same however I am hoping for $90,000 it's going to be above par. This is nothing more than a weekend car, 2 days a week at best.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:49 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

I only have a mere 2014 Stingray, but it has not been back to the dealer, and no mechanical problems in over 3 years. I drive it every day.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:51 AM
NNNInvestment
Racer

That's good to know. I notice on not just this forum but on other brands it seems there's more complaining and there is excitement. Lol.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:55 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,443 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Have had mine for 2 and 1/2 years. It's been bullet-proof.

These are good rigs.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:56 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

I've had my 2016 for 1 1/2 years with no issues. One of the best cars I've ever owned and it continually puts a smile on my face.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:58 AM
NNNInvestment
Racer

You guys are making me happy now. 😉
Old 07-27-2017, 11:06 AM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

While there certainly are plenty of instances of legitimate problems described here, what you don't see is a representative sample of positive stuff. But, that's not limited to this site. The cars are fantastic for the money. Access to service is far superior to other comparable brands. Expectations from vette owners are unrealistically high. They want to own the fastest and best performing cars on the road, but don't want to pay for it. Evidence of this is all of the whiners having a fit about the prospect of a mid-engine car being too expensive...while all of the other brands they wish to compare to, have or are going mid-engine. Bottom line is don't pay attention to the negativity, and buy what appeals to you.

PS - Since 2011, I've had a C6Z, C6 ZR1 and two C7Z's. Never had a problem with any of them!

Last edited by Glenn Quagmire; 07-27-2017 at 11:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Torch Red Z06 (07-27-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 11:07 AM
NNNInvestment
Racer

Originally Posted by Glenn Quagmire
While there certainly are plenty of instances of legitimate problems described here, what you don't see is a representative sample of positive stuff. But, that's not limited to this site. The cars are fantastic for the money. Access to service is far superior to other comparable brands. Expectations from vette owners are unrealistically high. They want to own the fastest and best performing cars on the road, but don't want to pay for it. Evidence of this is all of the whiners having a fit about the prospect of a mid-engine car being too expensive...while all of the other brands they wish to compare to, have or are going mid-engine. Bottom line is don't pay attention to the negativity, and buy what appeals to you.
Well said. Thank you sir.
foreverfuelie (07-27-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 11:07 AM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

There are a lot of whiny keyboard warriors on this forum. If you hang around long enough, you'll grow to recognize their names. The car has some shortcomings for 1%, maybe less than that, of owners but overall is the best Corvette GM has produced to date. There are a number of us who run our cars really hard on track and haven't had a single issue.

Go sit in one, if the fit and finish are up to your visual standards, you'll likely be very happy.

Dealers are hit or miss. They are nothing like the luxury brands and I've found that you often get treated like you own a >$30k car and not a $100k car. I get 10 times better service at our Acura dealer with my wife's car than I do at either the Ford (my 2017 F250) or GM (Z06) dealers.

Last edited by fleming23; 07-27-2017 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:19 AM
Gkabc7
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Being a former Porsche owner maybe you will appreciate this Just for grins I test drove a cayman s 4 cyl turbo (I know not close to a 911.But it was fairly well equipped for 87k the seats were hard it was slow the interior was uninspiring for a Porsche the 3 lz way way nicer I'm an avererage sized guy 5 10 180 but I felt I needed a shoehorn to get in and out.so for 4k more ive got a supercar.Buy the vette you wont be sorry.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:20 AM
bradgto
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

2 years 5 months. almost 25k miles. Only thing I have done is tires and that is expected. only been to dealer once for its 1st oil change. I do my own even know there were free ones.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:26 AM
mickey3
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Default order the car

Originally Posted by NNNInvestment
So I just had a question for all the forum members for the Z06. I really like everything about the car, but when I read all the different threads on the forum it seems there's a lot of negativity about the car whether it be the paint issue, overheating, transmission issues, etc. now I know that there's a very small percentage of people on this forum compared to the actual owners of the Corvette. Is this something I should be concerned with or should I just order the car. Now I know coming out of a 911, the quality will not be the same however I am hoping for $90,000 it's going to be above par. This is nothing more than a weekend car, 2 days a week at best.
I get concerned too, when I check online forums about any new vehicle purchase. Most posts are about problems and people looking for answers, it is just the way we use forums, plus you have a few that are knocking the brand, because of loyalty to their own choices, and maybe to get a rise out of the loyal. I have a 2017 zo6 convertible with a m-7 and CCB brakes, that has about 6,000 miles. The car has been perfect, no issues - none! I can not keep from smiling every time, I drive the car.
The 911 quality vs the C-7 is real, so your decision on that. I say order the car with a m-7 and enjoy the super performance, reliability, fuel economy and reasonable maintenance costs that this car offers.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:39 AM
cpark
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The risk is no different then and other manufacturer. You can get a almost perfect vehicle to a lemon and anything in between. In this day in age your flipping a coin?
Old 07-27-2017, 11:44 AM
Stuman45
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 33 Posts

I think you read about the negative stuff hear because people are looking for help with their problems. I kinda felt the same as you when I came here after placing an order for my car. I read threads about all the problems and began to think I might have made a mistake.

Then my car arrived and it is freaken awesome No issues and I could not be happier with my purchase.

Take what you read hear with a grain of salt. Sure people post about real problems they have, but not every car has these problems.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:45 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

Keep in mind the quality of the $90k car is no better than the quality of the base $55k car.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:46 AM
NNNInvestment
Racer

Originally Posted by Gkabc7
Being a former Porsche owner maybe you will appreciate this Just for grins I test drove a cayman s 4 cyl turbo (I know not close to a 911.But it was fairly well equipped for 87k the seats were hard it was slow the interior was uninspiring for a Porsche the 3 lz way way nicer I'm an avererage sized guy 5 10 180 but I felt I needed a shoehorn to get in and out.so for 4k more ive got a supercar.Buy the vette you wont be sorry.
I agree with your comments about a caymen. Unless you get a full leather package it's a very boring interior.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:47 AM
2017ZO6
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

I have a 2017 Z with the A8. You can't go wrong with it. I have almost 5000 miles on mine and zero issues. It's fast, handles fantastic and everyone looks at it. 😀

Get notified of new replies

To Concerned.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:49 AM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Just like any other forum you're going to mostly see people with issues asking for advice but all of these threads combined account for a very very small % of Z06's sold for the last few years.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:27 PM
chasboland
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Get it, you'll love it.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:45 PM
Edwardz
Burning Brakes

Received 287 Likes on 211 Posts

I moved from a $130,000 911S cab to a $111,000 Z06/Z07 3LZ and am very happy with trouble free 39,000 miles. Many things I like better than Porsche. Get the better interior and you should be happy. I also like the carbon fiber dashboard and deviated red stitching. I had more confidence in Porsche service but can live with GM service since I have only needed oil changes. Over all they are both great cars and will be fun. 911 turbo cab maybe in my future but for now I am loving the Z06. As I want it the Porsche would be $213,000 and I am just not sure it's worth it to me.
djnice (07-27-2017)

Quick Reply: Concerned.