C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFR heads, 2.5 outlet (smoothie) manifolds interference

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 02:04 PM
dmruschell
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Default AFR heads, 2.5 outlet (smoothie) manifolds interference

I just put my engine back together with AFR 180 heads and have been trying to find the massive exhaust leaks I have on both sides. All of the bolts are tight and gaskets are new.

Then, I noticed that the AFR heads have a protrusion in between the two center head bolts below the manifold, a protrusion that contacts the exhaust manifold before the gasket seals. My old heads did not have that protrusion there. I'm using Speedway Smoothie manifolds with a 2.5 inch outlet.

I guess ill I'll be getting some different exhaust manifolds and possibly different downpipes, which is a shame because I really like the smoothie manifolds.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:24 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

I have AFR 180's on my 78 L-82. I originally had Mcjacks shorty headers after the rebuild and some issues with the spark plug boots being too close to the McJacks which I did not have with the OEM 882 heads with the McJacks. This past year, Jan 2017, I went with XSPower long tube headers and have zero clearance issues. Both headers sealed perfectly against the AFR 180's though. These are the XS power LTH's:

http://shop.huronspeedproducts.com/X...rs-c2c3hug.htm
Old 08-03-2017, 02:40 PM
dmruschell
Pro

Originally Posted by Brass Pass
Would it be possible to grind down the protrusions enough for your manifolds to fit.
At $1600 for the heads, that wouldn't be my first choice lol. I'd rather spend $250 on a new front exhaust setup (manifolds, downpipes, etc) than mess up a brand new set of heads lol.

I used to have headers on this car, but I removed them. It's a DD and I got tired of dealing with the headers.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:46 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by dmruschell
I just put my engine back together with AFR 180 heads and have been trying to find the massive exhaust leaks I have on both sides. All of the bolts are tight and gaskets are new.

Then, I noticed that the AFR heads have a protrusion in between the two center head bolts below the manifold, a protrusion that contacts the exhaust manifold before the gasket seals. My old heads did not have that protrusion there. I'm using Speedway Smoothie manifolds with a 2.5 inch outlet.

I guess ill I'll be getting some different exhaust manifolds and possibly different downpipes, which is a shame because I really like the smoothie manifolds.
I would get on the phone with AFR and find a solution.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:55 PM
dmruschell
Pro

I called AFR and they said clearancing that "boss" (as they called it) was okay.

I got a set of 2 inch outlet manifolds locally cheap, and they're worse than the smoothies, so the smoothies are going back on.

I dont know why they would design a head that needs to needs to be modified to use stock exhaust manifolds.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:13 PM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

I had to grind that down on my AFR heads. It only took a few minutes per head. The aluminum machines down quickly. Once installed you forget you ever had to do it (I forgot until just now).
Old 08-03-2017, 08:01 PM
Jartanyon
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rcread
I had to grind that down on my AFR heads. It only took a few minutes per head. The aluminum machines down quickly. Once installed you forget you ever had to do it (I forgot until just now).
Same here.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:50 AM
dmruschell
Pro

Originally Posted by rcread
I don't think I'll forget that I had to do it. I spent all day trying to figure out the issue, and then having to take the exhaust apart and manifolds off to get to the part that needed grinding. I still don't have it all back together yet.

If if I had checked the fitment while the heads were off the car, it would have been a lot easier to fix. I didn't think that a stock style manifold would have any issues. As it is, it cost me a whole day of frustration. Hopefully, this post will warn others so they can grind that piece down before everything is assembled.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:44 AM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

I was building a new engine out of the car, on a stand. I discovered it in the process of test fitting everything before I dropped the engine in the car. It sounds like I lucked out by deciding to test fit the exhaust manifolds as well. One of the lessons I've learned is that aftermarket parts rarely do not often go on without modifying something.

I don't think I'll forget that I had to do it. I spent all day trying to figure out the issue, and then having to take the exhaust apart and manifolds off to get to the part that needed grinding. I still don't have it all back together yet.

If if I had checked the fitment while the heads were off the car, it would have been a lot easier to fix. I didn't think that a stock style manifold would have any issues. As it is, it cost me a whole day of frustration. Hopefully, this post will warn others so they can grind that piece down before everything is assembled.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:41 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

most companies assume youll use headers
grind it down its worth it they are nice performing pieces
Old 08-06-2017, 06:05 AM
Kid Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

Of course its kinda pointless to run AFR heads with stock manifolds. Exhaust ports on the AFR heads are 1.450" H x 1.550" W. Ports on stock exhaust manifolds are about 1.300″ x 1.300. If you want to stay with cast iron manifolds, I would at least go with these.

Last edited by Kid Vette; 08-06-2017 at 06:28 AM.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:19 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Kid Vette
Of course its kinda pointless to run AFR heads with stock manifolds. Exhaust ports on the AFR heads are 1.450" H x 1.550" W. Ports on stock exhaust manifolds are about 1.300″ x 1.300.

Exactly...I ran 1 5/8 inch McJacks for 2.5 years on my rebuilt/upgraded 355 L-82 with AFR's and finally figured I had to bite the bullet with LTH's to maximize the benefit of the AFR's:

http://shop.huronspeedproducts.com/X...rs-c2c3hug.htm

I was shocked at the difference in mid to high RPM power...it was VERY noticeable!

Last edited by jb78L-82; 08-06-2017 at 06:21 AM.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:20 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

big primaries but shoot cant beat those for the price

To quote Joe Sherman "more you have the more you get"

"gtfo out of my shop"
Old 08-06-2017, 07:30 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
big primaries but shoot cant beat those for the price

To quote Joe Sherman "more you have the more you get"

"gtfo out of my shop"
they overstate the primary size a bit...I measured the inside of the primaries and they look to be between 1 3/4 and 1 7/8 at most maybe in certain places, not 2 inches, which appears to be from measuring the outside diameter of the primaries. Same on the collector...3.5 inch collector, not 4 inches...either way they are a great deal.....

1 3/4 inch primary LTH for my 355 with the AFR's seems to be perfect....

Last edited by jb78L-82; 08-06-2017 at 07:33 AM.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:20 AM
dmruschell
Pro

Originally Posted by Kid Vette
Of course its kinda pointless to run AFR heads with stock manifolds. Exhaust ports on the AFR heads are 1.450" H x 1.550" W. Ports on stock exhaust manifolds are about 1.300″ x 1.300. If you want to stay with cast iron manifolds, I would at least go with these.
The manifolds I'm using are 2.5 inch outlet aftermarket manifolds with larger than stock ports. I noticed virtually no difference in SOTP power after removing my long tube headers and putting those on.

Even so, there's no reason to have that "boss" there if many people just grind it down anyways.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:07 PM
7T9Shark
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The manifolds I'm using are 2.5 inch outlet aftermarket manifolds with larger than stock ports. I noticed virtually no difference in SOTP power after removing my long tube headers and putting those on.

Even so, there's no reason to have that "boss" there if many people just grind it down anyways.
Greetngs - I just installed a BP 383 and am using the smoothies also. My question is, where do I find 2.5" exhaust pipes? My old pipes are 2.5" but they are reduced down to 2" at the manifolds. I've exhausted (pardon the pun) all the common sources like Summit, Speedway, etc.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:51 PM
dmruschell
Pro

Originally Posted by 7T9Shark
Greetngs - I just installed a BP 383 and am using the smoothies also. My question is, where do I find 2.5" exhaust pipes? My old pipes are 2.5" but they are reduced down to 2" at the manifolds. I've exhausted (pardon the pun) all the common sources like Summit, Speedway, etc.
If your car is a manual, you can use downpipes from a 65 Corvette. If your car is an automatic, you might need to have them custom made, either locally or by calling up a vendor to see if they have downpipes that will work. If you look for threads I've posted in on the exhaust subject, there was mention of a vendor that will make the automatic transmission pipes with a 2.5 inlet, but I don't remember the name of the vendor.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:14 AM
7T9Shark
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If your car is a manual, you can use downpipes from a 65 Corvette. If your car is an automatic, you might need to have them custom made, either locally or by calling up a vendor to see if they have downpipes that will work. If you look for threads I've posted in on the exhaust subject, there was mention of a vendor that will make the automatic transmission pipes with a 2.5 inlet, but I don't remember the name of the vendor.
Yep its an automatic. I was hoping some one would identify an older C3 that came from the factory with 2.5 downpipes and just order those. Ill do a search on your posts and see what pops up. Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To AFR heads, 2.5 outlet (smoothie) manifolds interference

Quick Reply: AFR heads, 2.5 outlet (smoothie) manifolds interference