C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damn, Defective Dimmer

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 03:40 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

Default Damn, Defective Dimmer

It's the driver's side rear view mirror. Driving Sunday, I noticed the mirror was dark with a yellowish/slightly goldish tint. I initially assumed the glass reflective layer had degraded. Normally UV radiation might be a culprit but the car is very low mileage and always garaged...UV should not be a problem.

I used the CF search function and .......... with humiliation read the owner's manual! I now know that I have auto dimming mirrors. Here's where I'm at:

The driver's rear view mirror is stuck on dim. The center interior mirror appears OK...it's not dimmed. This is I sense a problem since from what I've read the drivers side and interior rear view mirrors dim and undim in unison. There's an On/Off button on the rear mirror assembly...it's the button with the circle and a vertical line through it. I've cycled it on and off, holding the button down more than 6 seconds, etc. No resolution.

I now know the dimming process is an electrochemical process. Applying an electrical bias to the electrochemical gel turns on/off dimming. Does dimming occur when the voltage is applied? Or does non-dimming require a voltage?

There is power to the interior mirror assembly, although the left map light doesn't light, the right map light does work.

Suggestion? Thanks!!
Old 08-18-2017, 04:19 PM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

The golden hue and mottled appearance is apparent in this picture taken during our first drive outing with the car.

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
It's the driver's side rear view mirror. Driving Sunday, I noticed the mirror was dark with a yellowish/slightly goldish tint.
Looks like your dimming mirror is toast. I replaced ours late last year for the same or similar reason. I noticed that driving the car shortly after we acquired it that the mirror glass had a golden hue that caused everything to look unnatural plus it had a mottled cammo like appearance.

Our car is also low mileage, it had 14,400 miles on it when we got it and its always been a garage queen so that had no bearing on the mirrors life.

If you want it working as it should be prepared to find out about the "Corvette Tax". When I picked up the part from the GM dealer the parts man looked at the invoice and said "there had to be a mistake $xxx for a mirror glass?" then he thought for a moment and added "unless its for a Cadillac or a Corvette!"

The mirror has ferro fluid between the mirror inner and outer glass layers which can leak out (don't break it or get any on your paintwork). The mirror dims when its energized but since yours has that golden hue it must be defective since it looks like a normal mirror when you take a new one out of its package.

Word of advice from my experience it's a major PITA to replace getting the pins that attach it to the motor to pop into place. The center pivot that the mirror mounts on is also difficult to attach. At one point I had to apply a ridiculous amount of force and feared I would break it before it finally popped into place.

The mirror worked just like it should last time we drove at night and your lamp that isn't working in the mirror head is most likely a burned out bulb.

Last edited by Icecap; 08-18-2017 at 05:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
68/70Vette (08-19-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 04:22 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

They only dim when a headlight is behind you shining on the mirror.
Cars with tinted windows sometimes do not dim correctly.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:29 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I've already watched a youtube video on how to replace the mirror. Not looking forward to the experience!

The 08 has been a reasonably reliable car. Failures so far.

3/8 inch bolt in tread of rear run flat. Tire had 600 miles. Thanks to CF, I found out the tire was warrantied if less than 1000 miles...the dealer and the tire store did not know this!

Leaking power steering hose. Manufacturing defect. Easy fix. Warrantied

Electronic Controller for dual mode exhaust failed. $200 or $300 repair.

Auto shifter lockout in Park.

......and now the dimmed mirror.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:09 PM
my1970conv
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Icecap

The golden hue and mottled appearance is apparent in this picture taken during our first drive outing with the car.

Looks like your dimming mirror is toast. I replaced ours late last year for the same or similar reason. I noticed that driving the car shortly after we acquired it that the mirror glass had a golden hue that caused everything to look unnatural plus it had a mottled cammo like appearance.

Our car is also low mileage, it had 14,400 miles on it when we got it and its always been a garage queen so that had no bearing on the mirrors life.

If you want it working as it should be prepared to find out about the "Corvette Tax". When I picked up the part from the GM dealer the parts man looked at the invoice and said "there had to be a mistake $xxx for a mirror glass?" then he thought for a moment and added "unless its for a Cadillac or a Corvette!"

The mirror has ferro fluid between the mirror inner and outer glass layers which can leak out (don't break it or get any on your paintwork). The mirror dims when its energized but since yours has that golden hue it must be defective since it looks like a normal mirror when you take a new one out of its package.

Word of advice from my experience it's a major PITA to replace getting the pins that attach it to the motor to pop into place. The center pivot that the mirror mounts on is also difficult to attach. At one point I had to apply a ridiculous amount of force and feared I would break it before it finally popped into place.

The mirror worked just like it should last time we drove at night and your lamp that isn't working in the mirror head is most likely a burned out bulb.
Hi Icecap...

Just curious if you replaced your entire mirror assembly or just the glass? I'm having the same issue where my driver's side mirror appears to always be in "dim" mode even during the day... I thought that if I turn off the auto-dim with the button on the rear view mirror maybe it would return to "normal", but no luck, it's still has this gold/yellowish hue... so I'm beginning to think it's toast.

I was looking on some GM parts sites, and saw that you can just order the glass. I'm perplexed as to why the 2 left hand mirror glass items below have such a large difference in price. (Item 20760597 & 88981034)... my car has the memory package, so actually I would need the one for $46.64. The item says it "W/Light Sensitive, W/Memory Package", so I would expect it's a dimming mirror glass.

But I was more curious if you replaced your entire mirror or just the glass... I'll have to see how difficult it is to remove just the glass.

Old 04-24-2019, 10:58 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Which option package was the dimmer mirror in and what year Corvette?
Old 04-24-2019, 12:08 PM
my1970conv
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
Which option package was the dimmer mirror in and what year Corvette?
Hi,

I should have added that info... it's a 2012 Grand Sport, 3LT...
Old 04-24-2019, 02:18 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by my1970conv
Hi,

I should have added that info... it's a 2012 Grand Sport, 3LT...
Now that is an option I don't have.

Get notified of new replies

To Damn, Defective Dimmer

Quick Reply: Damn, Defective Dimmer