C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why so difficult to go into SECOND gear?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 07:00 PM
kevinkar
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Why so difficult to go into SECOND gear?

Ok, so we all know why it's so difficult to put the 6-speed into 1st gear but I have noticed lately in my '05 base coupe that it tends to be difficult to put into SECOND gear for no reason.

Shift into 1st, take off from a stop and normally shift into 2nd but it just stops. Blocked. No, I'm sure it's not the 1-4 lockout as I have the CAGS fuse installed and that works fine. In most cases, I'm driving such that the CAGS is not activated anyway but, as I pull the shifter into 2nd, it just stops.

I pull out of 2nd back into neutral and try again but it's again stopped. So it's blocked much like the 1st gear issue. But isn't everything rotating at that point? It shouldn't be a gear tooth sitting there face to face blocking the shift but that's what it seems to be doing.

I can usually pull really hard and it will go in (with the now-famous tachometer and/or spedometer needle going full rotation and back) but that's pretty freaking annoying. Sometimes double clutching will allow it too but that's not how modern transmissions are supposed to work.

So, after having this used '05 base for 4 years, why should this start happening now?

Yeah, I've checked the clutch fluid and it's clear. Clutch was replaced 12,000 miles ago. If it were a failed CAGS fuse it would push me to 4th but that's not happening. It's just not going into 2nd.

Thoughts?
Old 08-19-2017, 07:49 PM
IansInGarage
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinkar
Ok, so we all know why it's so difficult to put the 6-speed into 1st gear but I have noticed lately in my '05 base coupe that it tends to be difficult to put into SECOND gear for no reason.

Shift into 1st, take off from a stop and normally shift into 2nd but it just stops. Blocked. No, I'm sure it's not the 1-4 lockout as I have the CAGS fuse installed and that works fine. In most cases, I'm driving such that the CAGS is not activated anyway but, as I pull the shifter into 2nd, it just stops.

I pull out of 2nd back into neutral and try again but it's again stopped. So it's blocked much like the 1st gear issue. But isn't everything rotating at that point? It shouldn't be a gear tooth sitting there face to face blocking the shift but that's what it seems to be doing.

I can usually pull really hard and it will go in (with the now-famous tachometer and/or spedometer needle going full rotation and back) but that's pretty freaking annoying. Sometimes double clutching will allow it too but that's not how modern transmissions are supposed to work.

So, after having this used '05 base for 4 years, why should this start happening now?

Yeah, I've checked the clutch fluid and it's clear. Clutch was replaced 12,000 miles ago. If it were a failed CAGS fuse it would push me to 4th but that's not happening. It's just not going into 2nd.

Thoughts?
This used to happen on my past cars. Try changing transmission fluid. I know my S2000 gears would be hard to get into if I didn't change fluid once a year. I've been meaning to do it on my 05. It's bitchy. Also try pushing clutch in slowly. I found that it helped with my first gear issue.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:43 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

It sounds like you have a bad synchro. I got this from the web to help explain it better:

When a trans blocks you from going into gear that means the synchro is having a difficult time synchronizing the gear. When this happens it usually means something went wrong with the clutch system. The master or slave could be bad or leaking, the clutch disk hub could be broken, the clutch pressure plate could be warped, or the clutch throw out bearing could be damaged. The synchro is trying to tell you something when it does not go into gear. Forcing it or to continue to drive the vehicle is just going to destroy them.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:55 AM
B-Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I'd take it in and have a reputable shop/mechanic look into it further. The "could be" or "might be" from guys like me might narrow it down but definitely aren't going to solve the issue.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:13 PM
kevinkar
Racer

I could see it being a failing synchro. I guess I could swap out the fluid too and check that first. Kind of a pain to do but I've done it before. Thanks for the suggestions on that.

I doubt my local Chevy dealer will fix it since they dinged me for having an "aftermarket shifter" - MGW - that's now part of my "permanent record" so they'll likely not work on any transmission-related issues due to that note in spite of having an extended (non-GMPP) warranty.

Some days I just want to dump the car because of that won't-go-into-1st issue and now I'm getting it in 2nd. Sure would like to swap the transmission for a new one too. But in an '05, that seems overkill. Probably ought to just swap for a newer model. Maybe a 2010 or so.
Old 08-20-2017, 02:36 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

I pull out of 2nd back into neutral and try again but it's again stopped. So it's blocked much like the 1st gear issue. ...

Thoughts?
My '05 was terrible in all gears and 2nd and 3rd in particular exactly the same as your description. I did this:
  • Mgw shifter and adjusted the handle as high as possible. (previous owner removed the OE top plate bushings!)
  • c5 clutch spring
  • Skip shift elminator
  • Ranger method 10 times until clean - now every six months
  • AntiVenom mod

The good ....So still need to replace the trans fluid, but I'm almost there. After the Mgw broke in and I adjusted the center point again and now it is nearly perfect. It shifts into gear smoothly and feels extremely precise. I just need to move the shifter and it shifts up or down correctly. (I added a ball shifter and just grab it slightly off center in the direction want to go.) At over 3000 rpm it is perfect!! at least to me.

The bad ... sometimes while it is warming up and I'm in traffic I will shift slowly into 2nd gear. (I normally shift sort of in sync with the rhythm of the transmission if you know what I mean.) When I shift slow I can feel something sliding and blocking 2nd. If I back off and try again it feels very stiff and notchy but goes in. I'm thinking the solenoid must have some secondary action beyond the skip shift I disabled.

I hopes this helps you somewhat. My plans are to change the transfluid to Mobile One Dex III transfluid, and possibly remove the solenoid from the transmission.

If you find something that works please post it.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:21 PM
kevinkar
Racer

Originally Posted by Dutch08
If you find something that works please post it.
Definitely. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be swapping out carpeting and center console at some point in the near future so I'll look at adjusting the shifter a bit if necessary at that point. I hate taking all that apart too much.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:56 AM
Dutch08
Drifting

Definitely. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be swapping out carpeting and center console at some point in the near future so I'll look at adjusting the shifter a bit if necessary at that point. I hate taking all that apart too much.
Thanks!! My suggestion since you're working on the car, change out the spring to c5 (~$15 if I remember). You don't need to remove anything and it makes a small change in clutch feel (more noticeable) which really helped me out a lot in my shifting.

Takes 1 minute to do, pry with a screwdrive off the hook and squeeze the pins .... its off ... squeeze the pins, install, pry with a screwdriver onto the pedal "hook". (It will take you 5 mins to squeeze under the dash however ... ... but you're under there with the carpet anyway.)
Old 08-23-2017, 02:30 PM
IansInGarage
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Dutch08
Thanks!! My suggestion since you're working on the car, change out the spring to c5 (~$15 if I remember). You don't need to remove anything and it makes a small change in clutch feel (more noticeable) which really helped me out a lot in my shifting.

Takes 1 minute to do, pry with a screwdrive off the hook and squeeze the pins .... its off ... squeeze the pins, install, pry with a screwdriver onto the pedal "hook". (It will take you 5 mins to squeeze under the dash however ... ... but you're under there with the carpet anyway.)
I've searched and can't find the answer Dutch08; what difference in pedal feel? My biggest gripe on the clutch is how hard it is to hold pedal down. Only really a issue when I'm stuck in awful Austin traffic, but man it almost makes me miss my S2000.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:29 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

Originally Posted by IansInGarage
I've searched and can't find the answer Dutch08; what difference in pedal feel? My biggest gripe on the clutch is how hard it is to hold pedal down. Only really a issue when I'm stuck in awful Austin traffic, but man it almost makes me miss my S2000.
At least for me (Atlanta traffic) the c5 spring is a harder to push and hold but bigger sweet spot on the up. I was having trouble controlling the clutch that has a very easy push down and a forceful up.

Sounds like you should not make the change.

BTW (don't tell anybody) but I'm trying to get the feel of my Toyota. The clutch is easy with a huge sweet spot. On the other hand it is only trying to manage 135hp.

Try the Ranger Method, it helped my clutch overall.

Last edited by Dutch08; 08-23-2017 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:39 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
It sounds like you have a bad synchro. I got this from the web to help explain it better:

When a trans blocks you from going into gear that means the synchro is having a difficult time synchronizing the gear. When this happens it usually means something went wrong with the clutch system. The master or slave could be bad or leaking, the clutch disk hub could be broken, the clutch pressure plate could be warped, or the clutch throw out bearing could be damaged. The synchro is trying to tell you something when it does not go into gear. Forcing it or to continue to drive the vehicle is just going to destroy them.
Well thats interesting. Every tranny i've ever had that had a bad syncro will actually let it go into gear without "synchronizing" the 2 gears, thus the "grind" sound that sounds so awful. Use to be you could test for a bad syncro by trying to put it into whatever gear you think is bad while sitting still and not putting in the clutch. If the syncro is good then you'll hear a few drops in RPM's but it won't go into gear. If the syncro is bad then it will try to let it go into gear and you'll get that awful grind. Not sure if these newer trannies work like that or not.....good luck with whatever it needs.....
Old 08-23-2017, 05:41 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Unless you got a cags issue it may be time to go through it
Not impressed with the T56. Sometimes smooth sometimes notchy even freshly rebuilt, different shifters ugh.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:57 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
Well thats interesting. Every tranny i've ever had that had a bad syncro will actually let it go into gear without "synchronizing" the 2 gears, thus the "grind" sound that sounds so awful. Use to be you could test for a bad syncro by trying to put it into whatever gear you think is bad while sitting still and not putting in the clutch. If the syncro is good then you'll hear a few drops in RPM's but it won't go into gear. If the syncro is bad then it will try to let it go into gear and you'll get that awful grind. Not sure if these newer trannies work like that or not.....good luck with whatever it needs.....
I'm not a transmission expert, but I always understood it as, if your transmission grinds going into gear that your clutch is worn or not adjusted properly. And that either of those 2 things will lead to a worn synchro. The OP stated that he recently had a clutch replaced. I'm assuming that maybe it was driven a little too long on a worn clutch and as a result the synchro got toasted. Just an idea. To the OP, hopefully you can figure it out without it being an expensive repair. Good luck.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:49 PM
ben z
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Do you have trouble downshifting into 2nd also? If not, the first thing I would look into is the CAGS. Fuse or no, there is still a mechanical device and if it's interfering, that might be the problem.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:01 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

A bad clutch thats not disengaging properly usually makes it hard to shift. A worn out clutch disc will slip.

Last edited by windyC6; 08-24-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:22 PM
kevinkar
Racer

I'm pretty sure it's not the CAGS since I believe (perhaps mistakenly) that's not a lock out but a ramp or angle that pushes you into 4th. And since I'm not pushed to the right but stopped from going into 2nd, it likely isn't the CAGS. But I don't know for sure.

And yes, I am prevented from downshifting sometimes. Being in 4th, slowing down enough to go into and moving quickly into 2nd, it just stops. Sometimes I push up and back down and it goes in but other times it's still blocked. It's so much like the 1st gear lockout from a stop it just feels like it's gear on gear blockage.

This probably just needs a professional diagnosis. I'll likely start at the dealer to see what they say and see if it's a simple fix. It's likely not.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:38 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,626 Likes on 2,348 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Sounds like you need rev matching...especially on the downshift. I can easily shift mine from 1st to 2nd without the clutch. Like butta...

Get notified of new replies

To Why so difficult to go into SECOND gear?

Old 08-24-2017, 03:36 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

Originally Posted by windyC6
I've got to remember this! I've always done an old (old) fashioned double clutch and if it was synchro (assuming you did it correctly) and if you still had a grind it was the clutch. I will try this on my trans as a test.

Thank you, for the post
Old 08-24-2017, 04:44 PM
JJLAI724
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

Possible shifter alignment needs to be done.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:14 PM
RoadkingC6
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by JJLAI724
Possible shifter alignment needs to be done.

Replace the shifter bushings cheap and easy then align the shifter

Quick Reply: Why so difficult to go into SECOND gear?