C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Air Dam on 1999 C5

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 03:47 PM
JF Ranch
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Air Dam on 1999 C5

One year ago, I bought my first Corvette. A 1999 Convertible, auto transmission, 54,000 miles, bright red with white top. Both my wife & I love this car.

I've been concerned about high coolant temps a few times when we were in fairly harsh driving conditions (I could explain this further if necessary). I had the cooling system flushed and checked by a large Chevy Dealership and they told me the system is working properly. No codes and the fans are working properly: low at 219 degrees, high at 228. No work was recommended or done.

This car was missing the center section of the 3-piece front air dam when I bought it. The previous owner probably scraped it off of too many curb stops. I've been meaning to get this replaced but have not done it yet.

I have been told that the air dam is vitally important to the cooling system.

Can someone explain if this is true and why?

Thanks, John
Old 08-20-2017, 05:39 PM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Yep, it is...it directs air flow through the radiator. I would highly recommend installing a new one asap.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:54 PM
tpr60
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sac. City Corvettes has a fan kit for c5's that lets you manually control the fans while also leaving the computer do it automatically. Have them on two Vettes and they work great. Replace that missing deflector.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:10 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,706 Likes on 1,668 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

Originally Posted by 4XLR8N
Yep, it is...it directs air flow through the radiator. I would highly recommend installing a new one asap.
You NEED it, only about $100
Old 08-20-2017, 09:52 PM
JF Ranch
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the comments! I've been procrastinating, but will get one ordered ASAP. Is there a preferred vendor? Or should I go through a GM dealer?

Even though I have not carefully examined the underside of the radiator/air dam area, I don't understand how this can make so much difference. My first impression is that it would deflect air flow down & away from the engine area. Or does it direct the air flow up into the radiator instead?
Old 08-20-2017, 10:38 PM
coia96vette
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

It is needed. It directs the air into the radiator after 35mph. That is when the fans automatically shut off and cooling relies on the air flow coming up from that air dam.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:29 AM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,216 Likes on 776 Posts

[QUOTE=JF Ranch;1595405397]Thanks for the comments! I've been procrastinating, but will get one ordered ASAP. Is there a preferred vendor? Or should I go through a GM dealer?

Check the forum vendors. Check ZIP. http://www.zip-corvette.com

Part Number ET-411

Last edited by rrwirsi; 08-21-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:59 AM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

You need it because the air dam in resting position pushes air upwards along the shroud both the radiator and condenser rest on. Without it, too much air is evacuated underneath the car and completely misses the upwards travel.

There is absolutely no reason to remove it and why a prior owner would have done so is concerning (more concerning would be if all the hardware is intact, which if the air dam was removed it all may have been discarded). I'm lowered and while I still see some scrapping the air dam is spring loaded, so anytime it's pushed against it flaps back into place once over the obstruction. At the absolute least, some owners have trimmed say an inch or so off of it, but ultimately it needs to be there.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:34 PM
JF Ranch
Heel & Toe

Thank you everyone. I have found several options for replacing the air dam. I will get one ordered ASAP! You all have been very helpful.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:44 AM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

i have bolted i strip of durable rubber down there. it sits pretty low, about 2" above ground and scrapes now and then but is indestructable. keeps engine really cool.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:14 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

I have two additional suggestions while you are under the car replacing your air dam. First, you consider blowing clean the radiator and a/c condenser core. They fill up with a large amount of dirt because of them being bottom feeders, enough to affect your coolant temps. Wear eye protection, much dirt will blow out. Secondly, you consider improvising a screen to span the opening that spans radiator opening. This will prevent larger objects from getting sucked up there and blocking off the area. They can and they will.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:35 AM
JF Ranch
Heel & Toe

Thanks again everyone!

However, one more question while still on this topic. As I mentioned in my original post, I had a GM Dealer check the cooling system and they told me the system is working properly. No codes and the fans are working properly: low at 219 degrees, high at 228. No work was recommended or done.

It is obvious from everyone here, that the air dam plays an important role in engine temp cooling... Why would this large Dealership NOT say anything about the missing air dam and offer to replace it?
Old 08-22-2017, 10:34 AM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

Received 386 Likes on 286 Posts

Part of the equation is if you are running a different thermostat and if a tuner has "tweaked" your fan settings. I run a 165deg thermo and I've had a tune - I'm going to trim the dam down (but keep it in place) to try and reduce scraping...
Old 08-22-2017, 02:15 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,216 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by JF Ranch
Thanks again everyone!

It is obvious from everyone here, that the air dam plays an important role in engine temp cooling... Why would this large Dealership NOT say anything about the missing air dam and offer to replace it?
If the dealer cannot see or mention about an obvious missing part for cooling, what else do they not know about the C5. Stay, no, run away from this stealership.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:17 PM
JF Ranch
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by rrwirsi
If the dealer cannot see or mention about an obvious missing part for cooling, what else do they not know about the C5. Stay, no, run away from this stealership.
Yeah, that's sorta what I was thinking.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:07 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,289 Likes on 13,964 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

No clue why the dealership didn't say something about the missing air dam- after all it is an integral part of the cooling on the car.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:03 PM
JF Ranch
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
No clue why the dealership didn't say something about the missing air dam- after all it is an integral part of the cooling on the car.
Wow! a comment by the MODERATOR!!

At the time that I had the dealership check the cooling system, I did not realize the important function of the air dam. Since I am not the mechanic that most of the members are on this forum, I must place trust in those who do my work. It is disappointing, to say the least, that a large GM Dealership would not see this problem and inform me about it.

Typically a service shop will find things to fix, necessary or not, to enhance their bottom line. It is surprising that they did not see this as an opportunity to earn more money, while performing a valuable service.

Thanks to all here who know their stuff!! This Forum is a valuable resource.

Last edited by JF Ranch; 08-26-2017 at 01:11 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Front Air Dam on 1999 C5

Old 08-26-2017, 10:09 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Haha...not being mean but its obvious you're new here. That's ok! Your post was "Wow, a comment by the Moderator!!" Before VetteMan Jack became one of the moderators, I think his post numbers were somewhere around 250,000 posts!! So you see, we don't think it's unusual for VetteMan to post at all. He's a great guy from the state of Missouri. You'll learn that he's a very smart and friendly person.

Originally Posted by JF Ranch
Wow! a comment by the MODERATOR!!

At the time that I had the dealership check the cooling system, I did not realize the important function of the air dam. Since I am not the mechanic that most of the members are on this forum, I must place trust in those who do my work. It is disappointing, to say the least, that a large GM Dealership would not see this problem and inform me about it.

Typically a service shop will find things to fix, necessary or not, to enhance their bottom line. It is surprising that they did not see this as an opportunity to earn more money, while performing a valuable service.

Thanks to all here who know their stuff!! This Forum is a valuable resource.

Last edited by CactusCat; 08-26-2017 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-27-2017, 01:29 AM
JF Ranch
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by CactusCat
Haha...not being mean but its obvious you're new here. That's ok! Your post was "Wow, a comment by the Moderator!!" Before VetteMan Jack became one of the moderators, I think his post numbers were somewhere around 250,000 posts!! So you see, we don't think it's unusual for VetteMan to post at all. He's a great guy from the state of Missouri. You'll learn that he's a very smart and friendly person.
Yep. I'm new here. I became a Corvette owner just one year ago. I enjoy the articles in the newsletter and the camaraderie among Corvette lovers! Again, this Forum is a great resource. Thanks for all the interesting comments to my question!
Old 08-27-2017, 09:07 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

I've seen a number of people post that they run no air dam and it didn't have any noticeable effect on the cooling. So, I wouldn't put a great deal of faith in it fixing your woes.

I do as already suggested and make sure the radiator and condenser are clean. The dealership might not checked the coolant and fans, but they might not have put it on a hoist and made sure the radiator fins were clean. They will look clean from the engine compartment fan side.

Also, what does harsh driving conditions means and what did you consider high coolant temperatures?

Last edited by lionelhutz; 08-27-2017 at 09:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Front Air Dam on 1999 C5