C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do they sell a spray to get rid of mold / stinky air cabin for the C6

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 12:22 PM
actright562
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Do they sell a spray to get rid of mold / stinky air cabin for the C6

For some reason my C6 cabin always stinks. I replaced air cabin filter right around 5 months ago and its back to its swampy type of scent.

But it still has a wild scent coming from the ac vents.

Is there a spray that they sell to spray into the A/C system?

I was at pepboys the other day and I asked one of the servicemans, and they mentioned that they do an A/C vent cleaning service for $75.
I almost did it, but I would rather find the product and do it myself so I can at least do a few cars with it
Old 08-21-2017, 12:27 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

First thing, never EVER let Pepboys work on your car unless you don't care about your car, or having to spend additional money to fix the things they break.

Second, try spraying some Lysol in the vent through the cabin air filter vent.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:30 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,952 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

try the link below................. Adam's product which works quite well at elimination of odors.................

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/interi...izer-16oz.html
Old 08-21-2017, 12:34 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Do they sell a spray to get rid of stinky air cabin for the C6 ?

I don't believe they have a spray that's just made for automotive AC system stink ... But they do sell toilet paper:

Attachment 48336045

JOKE .....
Old 08-21-2017, 12:40 PM
wifiog
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

theres probably some mold in the ac system leaking out of the vents, happend to me too when it got super humid. turn the fan on and put it to outside air and get some fresh air in there everytime u drive , it must be all germy in the cabin right now. NEVER PUT IT ON RECIRCULATE MODE. if that still doesnt work id say go to an ac shop and have it looked, but if the smell gets better then stick with the same routine until its fully gone.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:00 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by wifiog
theres probably some mold in the ac system leaking out of the vents, happend to me too when it got super humid. turn the fan on and put it to outside air and get some fresh air in there everytime u drive , it must be all germy in the cabin right now. NEVER PUT IT ON RECIRCULATE MODE. if that still doesnt work id say go to an ac shop and have it looked, but if the smell gets better then stick with the same routine until its fully gone.
If this were the case every car in the south would be full of mold. It stays at or near 100% humidity in Texas, and everyone runs their A/C on recirculate.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:04 PM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 142 Posts

Wow, I didn't think it could be possible to give that much misinformation in a single post.

Assuming you have confirmed that your evaporator housing drain tube is not blocked in any way then there are really only 2 ways to eliminate the excess residual moisture in the evaporator case in high humidity environments that can cause musty odors to be produced on initial startup of you air conditioning:
1. Activate the "afterblow" feature in the C6 BCM using a GM Tech2 programmer. Activation of this feature causes the BCM to turn on your A/C fans for random, brief periods of time after the engine is turned off to dry out any residual moisture left in the evaporator case that if not eliminated contribute to mold/mildew odor causing growth.
2. Manually perform the same function of the "afterblow" feature by turning off the A/C compressor, turning on RECIRCULATE and running the vent function only on high for several minutes BEFORE you arrive at your destination and turn off your motor.

Using spray-in type cleaners/disinfectants in the cabin filter intake or foaming cleaners up through the drain tube only resolve the symptoms by temporarily removing any mold or mildew the cleaners can reach. If you don't take one of the two previously mentioned steps to consistently dry out the evaporator case the resulting mold/mildew will eventually return.

Last edited by RC4G; 08-21-2017 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:11 PM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
If this were the case every car in the south would be full of mold. It stays at or near 100% humidity in Texas, and everyone runs their A/C on recirculate.
No joke.

Not even considering the temperature difference between cooling outside air versus recirculated air running the recirculate mode actually reduces the amount of moisture in the evaporator housing versus fresh air mode.

Last edited by RC4G; 08-21-2017 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:06 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

If you turn the A/C off 5 minutes or more Pryor to parklng the car won't that help resolve the issue? 4 years of owning a vette and I haven't experienced the stinky air issue because it's exactly what I do before pulling into the garage, turn off my A/C at least 5 minutes before I get home, or wherever it is I'm at. Gives it plenty of time to dry out thoroughly.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:03 AM
Bob Paris
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,322 Likes on 1,050 Posts

Originally Posted by billyboy47
If you turn the A/C off 5 minutes or more Pryor to parklng the car won't that help resolve the issue? 4 years of owning a vette and I haven't experienced the stinky air issue because it's exactly what I do before pulling into the garage, turn off my A/C at least 5 minutes before I get home, or wherever it is I'm at. Gives it plenty of time to dry out thoroughly.
It gets too hot, too fast in the small passenger compartment on a hot day to turn off the a/c 5 minutes before arrival. Plus I don't want to have to remember to have to do that. Had GM dealer enable the afterblow feature for $99 and no more problem and nothing to remember - which is a good thing
Old 08-22-2017, 01:12 AM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Bob Paris
It gets too hot, too fast in the small passenger compartment on a hot day to turn off the a/c 5 minutes before arrival. Plus I don't want to have to remember to have to do that. Had GM dealer enable the afterblow feature for $99 and no more problem and nothing to remember - which is a good thing
5 minutes doesn't bother me at all, but then again i had cars years ago that had no A/C unit. The only A/C unit in those days was to roll the windows down.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:24 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by RC4G
No joke.

Not even considering the temperature difference between cooling outside air versus recirculated air running the recirculate mode actually reduces the amount of moisture in the evaporator housing versus fresh air mode.
I'm wondering if those who are reporting the moldy smell are running their A/C on fresh air mode instead of recirculate. I've been in Texas since '87, with the first several years down in the Houston area, have had multiple cars since then, and never had a problem with mold, but I always use recirculate mode. If any state was going to generate mold it would be a Gulf state.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:35 AM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

Old 08-22-2017, 08:59 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,673 Likes on 1,699 Posts

Lysol has worked for me on a couple of cars that occasionally had the issue. Remove the cabin air filter and spray into the intake with the a/c on the center vents. Then switch to floor, then switch to defrost. I have typically used most of a can of Lysol when doing this. The wife's car had the issue last year when we were on vacation in September; I treated it in a motel parking lot and it has been fine since then. I find it is important to use enough Lysol and to use it in all climate control panel positions so that you get it inside all of the vent locations. While this may not a permanent solution, it is cheap and lasts a long time, at least in my experience. I am more than willing to do this occasionally.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:18 AM
sjhanc
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

When I worked as a mechanic at GM dealerships I frequently got customer's cars with the a/c smell problem. I used a GM recommended procedure that involved drilling a small hole upstream of the evap. core and spraying a GM aerosol cleaner (with a tube) inside the airflow to kill the bad stuff in there. It always worked, I never got a comeback. After the job was finished, the hole is plugged, I was done. This repair will NOT fix tobacco smell, or dead mice, only a new core will do.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:42 AM
64Corvette
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 123 Posts

I just did this to my 05 Silverado using 1/4 cup of white vinegar and 2 cups of water sprayed into my air intakes below the windshield. Vinegar is chemical free, Lysol is not! The vinegar smell dissipates rather quickly and seems to eliminated the smell. There are several You Tube videos on this.
Retail sales and repair shops that sell and repair air conditioners have a chemical that they spray over the coils to remove smells, might check with them. I made the mistake of talking to the girls behind the counter in the shop I went to and they wanted to sell me a gallon jug for 25 dollars that you mix 1 part to 8 parts water, way more than I would ever use. Check with a service repair person he would probably give you a small amount out of his truck. Again it is a chemical that you are spraying into your vents!
Old 06-04-2018, 09:13 AM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

Damn Taco Bell !!

Get notified of new replies

To Do they sell a spray to get rid of mold / stinky air cabin for the C6

Old 06-04-2018, 09:35 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

Do a search for more insights.

If AC is the issue and you DIY it is not so difficult.
Cost $40 for products.

I do say you may need to do this for months in a row to true kill and mold et al.

BG products are highly recommended.
NAPA parts also some products.

1) Foaming Cleaner...insert through AC box rubber drain tube.
2) Spray Cleaner ... insert through AC vents into the ducts.

There is a GM tech bulletin on this in which one drills into a duct, yet the drain tube access accomplishes the same IMO.

Good luck and again you may have to do this cleaning multiple weeks/ months in a row.

Last edited by Kenny94945; 06-04-2018 at 09:36 AM.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:17 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenny94945
Do a search for more insights.

If AC is the issue and you DIY it is not so difficult.
Cost $40 for products.

I do say you may need to do this for months in a row to true kill and mold et al.

BG products are highly recommended.
NAPA parts also some products.

1) Foaming Cleaner...insert through AC box rubber drain tube.
2) Spray Cleaner ... insert through AC vents into the ducts.

There is a GM tech bulletin on this in which one drills into a duct, yet the drain tube access accomplishes the same IMO.

Good luck and again you may have to do this cleaning multiple weeks/ months in a row.
Check the drain nipple on the passenger side underneath the car to make sure it is not plugged causing the condensation to back up in the evaporator coil box. You must eliminate the source of the smell and not just treat the symptom.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:22 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

OMG !!! Never put it in re-circulate mode ??......

Quick Reply: Do they sell a spray to get rid of mold / stinky air cabin for the C6