C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Help please. Question about a purchase on E-Bay

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 10:40 PM
65specialk
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Help please. Question about a purchase on E-Bay

Hello, Anyone ever run into this on E-Bay. Don't know what to do. I won an auction on EBay for classic car. Not a vette. The seller wants me to send payment to his Bank account. After he receives payment he will take me to the car. I have purchased over a hundred cars on EBay and have looked at every one before purchase. The seller won't give me his phone number or his address. He is having his brother in law meet me at the bank after the money transfers. I would never give anyone a dollar with out his info and definitely not seeing the vehicle. I do not plan on following through with the sale but how do I keep from getting negative feedback as a no paying bidder? I have over 500 positive feedback and plan to keep them. If I contact E Bay I know they are completely useless as I bought a set of seat belts for my Ram 4 GTO for $450 and when they arrived the were not even the correct belts that were pictured in his add. I filed a complaint and they sided with him "Because he had more positive feedbacks" I stopped using E Bay for 2 years and am giving it another try. Not good so far. What should I do? If he leaves me negative feedback will I loose my buying ability.? I am planning on buying several parts to restore my next project. Thanks Dave
Old 08-21-2017, 10:44 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

I have sold a few cars and motorcycles on eBay (to buyers both here in the U.S. and overseas) and have always received full payment first. I would then ship the car to them or they would come to pick it up, but I always received payment first.

Ray
Old 08-21-2017, 10:50 PM
65specialk
Burning Brakes

Default Buying on E bay

Originally Posted by rayvaflav
I have sold a few cars and motorcycles on eBay (to buyers both here in the U.S. and overseas) and have always received full payment first. I would then ship the car to them or they would come to pick it up, but I always received payment first.

Ray
I have also but did they refuse to give you there name, address, phone number or were the vehicle was located? Sounds like a scam to me.

Last edited by 65specialk; 08-21-2017 at 10:50 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:05 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by 65specialk
I have also but did they refuse to give you there name, address, phone number or were the vehicle was located? Sounds like a scam to me.
Sure sounds like it to me. No reason why you shouldn't be able to see the car before you pay any money. I would report this to eBay and see what they have to say
Old 08-21-2017, 11:12 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

I wouldn't touch that car. Too many red flags for a scam. If you can't have the car inspected or see it yourself and then go to the bank, drop out of the deal. Ebay policy states a seller cannot leave negative feedback for a buyer. He can only leave positive or none at all. Here's a copy from the ebay policy website.

Note: Buyers can leave sellers negative, neutral, or positive Feedback. Sellers can leave buyers positive Feedback or choose not to leave Feedback.

How does his feedback look?

Last edited by 65GGvert; 08-21-2017 at 11:15 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:02 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

As stated above, eBay removed the ability for sellers to leave negative feedback for scammers or other unscrupulous bidders. This has led to buyers increasingly trying to manipulate sellers into unfair partial refunds and other scams because they know they won't get dinged.

Feedback on eBay isn't the measurement of what it used to be. You will be fine. Besides, one negative would not affect your ability to buy at all.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:38 AM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

I had a bad experience selling an item that stated that the buyer is to pay for shipping. The buyer gave me the run around after paying for the item without paying for shipping and said I should eat the bulk of the shipping costs. I ended up refunding him and contacting eBay. Bottom line was I got my first negative feedback after 15 years on eBay as a SELLER and I couldn't give the buyer anything but positive feedback. I did give him positive feedback and used the dialog portion to explain what the guy did. BTW, a negative feedback doesn't effect your ability to do anything on ebay unless you have a trail of them. But in your case there's no way it will happen.

Make sure your conversations are through ebay and not private email. When he refuses to give you any information that's a red flag, and ebay will have a record of it. No record if you are swapping private emails only.

I've purchased a couple of cars off ebay and sold 2 Harleys. In every case we traded phone numbers and other vital information through ebay. If he won't budge, back out. You won't get dinged. And you won't be relieved of your hard earned cash by a scammer.

Last edited by Randy G.; 08-22-2017 at 12:48 AM.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:43 AM
Crunch527
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts

You are getting ready to get ripped off.

Let this one go and move on.

Unless you are willing to lose the money and the car.

Everything you cite is why I don't use Ebay...nothing I need that bad.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:46 AM
movinup
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What I do is talk to the seller by phone and tell them what I expect. After payment is made, I request the title and one set of keys to be sent overnight to me. If I do not receive that I get suspicious. I did get burned on a car a couple of years ago, but Ebay made good on the money. It did take 45 days for me to get my refund.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:50 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

You do a bank wire transfer and your money is gone....follow an unknown third party to an undisclosed location and you might be too.

Somehow negative eBay feedback seems trivial in light of this...but, you should certainly contact them to see what can be done, if nothing - don't lose sleep over it. IIRC you can respond to negative feedback with an explanation at least.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 08-22-2017 at 05:53 AM.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:56 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by movinup
What I do is talk to the seller by phone and tell them what I expect. After payment is made, I request the title and one set of keys to be sent overnight to me. If I do not receive that I get suspicious. I did get burned on a car a couple of years ago, but Ebay made good on the money. It did take 45 days for me to get my refund.
Read the post again, in this case, the seller won't provide a phone number.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:56 AM
65specialk
Burning Brakes

Default Thjanks guys . You made my day.

More to the story . The seller sent me a text a day before the auction ended , I had given him my phone number when I asked my first questions. He tried to get me to purchase it of E Bay for $1,000 over were the bidding was. I said it is against EBay rules. He never responded. When I won the auction the next day he texted again and was pixxed off because he said I shouldn't have won because he knew there was a higher bid. How did he know that? The competing bidder had zero feed back so I believe he had a schill bidder and his bid didn't make it in time for the auction end.
Scammer for sure.

Thanks again guys.

QUOTE=Frankie the Fink;1595413724]Read the post again, in this case, the seller won't provide a phone number.[/QUOTE]
Old 08-22-2017, 06:59 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

More to the story . The seller sent me a text a day before the auction ended , I had given him my phone number when I asked my first questions. He tried to get me to purchase it of E Bay for $1,000 over were the bidding was. I said it is against EBay rules. He never responded. When I won the auction the next day he texted again and was pixxed off because he said I shouldn't have won because he knew there was a higher bid. How did he know that? The competing bidder had zero feed back so I believe he had a schill bidder and his bid didn't make it in time for the auction end.
Scammer for sure.

Thanks again guys.

QUOTE=Frankie the Fink;1595413724]Read the post again, in this case, the seller won't provide a phone number.
[/QUOTE]
Save the sellers text and that's your defense against negative feedback or reporting him to eBay - at which point, you've done all you can do.

So many red flags, if there even IS a car I seriously doubt it was represented in the ad properly the way this is going. Hitch up your drawers and go on to the next one...
Old 08-22-2017, 07:07 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Poor transparency and poor communications on the part of the seller.

It's either a scam or a seller you don't need the headache of dealing with, or both.

Find another car and don't look back.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:27 AM
bbison
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Scammer for sure.

Thanks again guys.

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Read the post again, in this case, the seller won't provide a phone number.
I concur with all the good advice you're getting here, but one question: if he sent you a text, don't you have his phone number?

Last edited by bbison; 08-22-2017 at 07:28 AM. Reason: cleaning up quotes
Old 08-22-2017, 07:41 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

eBay has a built-in messaging facility - I assume that's what the OP meant....no phone required.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:50 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

ebay feedback is HIGHLY over rated, make all payments through pay-pal, and as someone who went through the ebay and pay-pal dispute process three times you did not lose your case because of feedback numbers...

Last edited by redvetracr; 08-22-2017 at 08:54 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Help please. Question about a purchase on E-Bay

Old 08-22-2017, 08:54 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,001 Posts

You said --->I have purchased over a hundred cars on EBay and have looked at every one before purchase.

Think you answered your own question, walk away.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:24 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

move on
may not even have a car, phone # could have been a burner phone from 7-11. This has "you lose" all over it.
Lots of setups to get robbed out there happened to me about a yr ago close call. Guy was in LE, too..part time gang banger.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:48 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Since you're not buying, post up a link or a number and let's all take a look at it

Quick Reply: Help please. Question about a purchase on E-Bay