Cant Get My LT-4 To Start-Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 07:15 PM
Frank43
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Cant Get My LT-4 To Start-Help!

Hey All,

Frank here. Just picked up a project LT-4 it good shape. Only thing is it sat for 6 years under a cover. Car cleaned up nice, and everything seems to work.
Except it wont start. Before attempting to fire, I Changed Serp Belt, Changed battery, had alternator checked (fine), changed fuel filter and added 5 gallons of 93 and Sea foam additive.
Before adding the gas, the car read basically empty (and only a little bad gas dripped out when changing the filter.

Now, after putting in gas it still reads empty (stuck float?).
I pulled ignition and cranked to lube with oil. Once done, I tried to fire, and it wont do anything but crank. Could it be fuel pump? How can I check? Any advice would be helpful.
I am pretty handy but not a mechanic. HELP!!
Thanks in advance,
Frank
Old 09-02-2017, 07:24 PM
chatham
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

engine is start is basically simple, is there spark and fuel. so you need to check for spark and fuel. spark is easy enough pull a plug wire and see if it sparks to ground. be careful cos it can shock the sh*t out of you. next you need to check for fuel at the engine. this means you have to check for fuel pressure at the injectors. these are the easiest and first two things to check. from there it gets a bit more complicated. suggest you take some time and search for no start situations and educate yourself. there is a lot of good info out there.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:42 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

If you have a pressure gauge, check the fuel pressure on the rails with the Schrader valve. If you have pressure, then you need to focus on the ignition/spark side.

Now, if your fuel gauge is off you may have lost ground in your tank especially if the tank sat empty for years. The pump and fuel sending unit share the same ground.

Do you hear the fuel pump whirl/spool up when you turn the key?
Old 09-02-2017, 08:30 PM
Frank43
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
If you have a pressure gauge, check the fuel pressure on the rails with the Schrader valve. If you have pressure, then you need to focus on the ignition/spark side.

Now, if your fuel gauge is off you may have lost ground in your tank especially if the tank sat empty for years. The pump and fuel sending unit share the same ground.

Do you hear the fuel pump whirl/spool up when you turn the key?
I don't hear anything. I was listening for it, but nothing. That may be the issue. How can I check for ground? Easy fix?
Old 09-02-2017, 09:30 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank43
I don't hear anything. I was listening for it, but nothing. That may be the issue. How can I check for ground? Easy fix?
You will need to confirm you have power to the pump/sender first. Take off your gas lid and find the wire harness then check and see if there is power. If there is, you (probably) have a pump/ground issue. If not double check the relay, but since you are getting nothing from the fuel gauge my guess is that your whole unit is suspect and needs to come out.

Actually this is not a bad repair and should take 45ish minutes. As long as you are in there, just replace the pump, they are super cheap. You will need to take apart the fuel gauge sending unit and clean as I bet it is rusty. There are stickies on this as you need to be super careful. I did mine about a month ago, it was no big deal and it restored my gauge accuracy .
Attached Images  
Old 09-02-2017, 11:01 PM
Frank43
Burning Brakes

You will need to confirm you have power to the pump/sender first. Take off your gas lid and find the wire harness then check and see if there is power. If there is, you (probably) have a pump/ground issue. If not double check the relay, but since you are getting nothing from the fuel gauge my guess is that your whole unit is suspect and needs to come out.

Actually this is not a bad repair and should take 45ish minutes. As long as you are in there, just replace the pump, they are super cheap. You will need to take apart the fuel gauge sending unit and clean as I bet it is rusty. There are stickies on this as you need to be super careful. I did mine about a month ago, it was no big deal and it restored my gauge accuracy .
Thanks Bll. I will pull the unit and clean the sending unit (saw the sticky).I will replace the pump, sock and gasket as well. Stay tuned I may have more questions! Thanks again
Old 09-03-2017, 12:04 AM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,290 Likes on 872 Posts

You bought that aqua car off of Craigslist?
Old 09-03-2017, 09:44 PM
Frank43
Burning Brakes

Well I pulled the sending unit, and what a mess! Decided to order a whole new unit and fuel pump. How do these cars get to this point?
Attached Images  
Old 09-05-2017, 07:36 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Well I pulled the sending unit, and what a mess! Decided to order a whole new unit and fuel pump. How do these cars get to this point?
6 years under a cover and not being run...
Old 09-05-2017, 10:08 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Seeing that mess makes me wonder about the REST of the fuel delivery, i.e., lines, fuel rail...INJECTORS.

Long term storage, or even just over winter, I've always filled the tank first before putting it in storage. No issues as yet with any of that mess!
Old 09-05-2017, 11:51 AM
Silver85
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 75 Posts

Hey All,

Frank here. Just picked up a project LT-4 it good shape. Only thing is it sat for 6 years under a cover. Car cleaned up nice, and everything seems to work.
Except it wont start. Before attempting to fire, I Changed Serp Belt, Changed battery, had alternator checked (fine), changed fuel filter and added 5 gallons of 93 and Sea foam additive.
Before adding the gas, the car read basically empty (and only a little bad gas dripped out when changing the filter.

Now, after putting in gas it still reads empty (stuck float?).
I pulled ignition and cranked to lube with oil. Once done, I tried to fire, and it wont do anything but crank. Could it be fuel pump? How can I check? Any advice would be helpful.
I am pretty handy but not a mechanic. HELP!!
Thanks in advance,
Frank
Nice find! If Im guessing right I was a day behind you on buying this car. I am kicking myself for not moving faster!!
Old 09-05-2017, 01:39 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,263 Likes on 1,447 Posts

holy hanna. glad you chose to replace.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:44 AM
Frank43
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bow tie guy
that reminds me of Andy Dufresne and mile of foulness he crawled through,to gain freedom. the interior must smell like roses.
My favorite movie! Get busy livin' or get busy die'in.

New part in hand, install tomorrow. Lets she if she fires...
Old 09-06-2017, 05:48 PM
Frank43
Burning Brakes

My favorite movie! Get busy livin' or get busy die'in.

New part in hand, install tomorrow. Lets she if she fires...
Hey all, new sending unit and fuel pump installed-thanks for all your advice.
Well, when i tried to fire-guess what-nothing. It cranked and cranked- and I got a fuel reading and pressure at the rails-but nothing.
Whats the next step in the process here that you would recommend I look into. When my wife gets home from work, I will see about spark at the plugs-but anything else I should check? Stumped!
Old 09-06-2017, 05:56 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Hey all, new sending unit and fuel pump installed-thanks for all your advice.
Well, when i tried to fire-guess what-nothing. It cranked and cranked- and I got a fuel reading and pressure at the rails-but nothing.
Whats the next step in the process here that you would recommend I look into. When my wife gets home from work, I will see about spark at the plugs-but anything else I should check? Stumped!
I have only worked on L98's but i'd be getting a noid light set and seeing if your injectors are firing during cranking next. these can be borrowed or rented or purchased from your local autovalue or the like.

im not sure if its the same for the Lt4/Lt1 but probably.

you could also test for spark. but the way i do it, i usually rule out one of the three before moving onto the 2nd and 3rd in the fuel spark compression trifecta!

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 09-06-2017 at 05:58 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:08 PM
Silver85
Burning Brakes

I would be willing to bet that the injectors are clogged. After sitting for that long with ethanol in the lines at a minimum they need to be pulled in cleaned. I would go ahead and replace them.

have you tried starting it with starter fluid? I know it's not designed for gas engines but that will at least let you know if you have spark or not.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:40 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

btw op, can you post some pics of inside and out with all the good and bad?

ive been wanting an lt4 project so ill be following yours.

cheers.

Get notified of new replies

To Cant Get My LT-4 To Start-Help!

Old 09-06-2017, 07:35 PM
Frank43
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bow tie guy
starting fluid is fine for gas engines, (get you some and spray a nice fat dose in the throttle body via the PCV hose barb)

if it in fact fires on starting fluid, than the noid light determines whether or not the injectors are enabled

search google "C4 corvette fuel enable" CCM or central control module might be good reading as well. good luck with it
Well, the magic starting fluid did the trick. At least for a couple seconds. Should I just bite the bullet and replace all the injectors? I am sure they are original. And prolly gummed.
Any advise on which to buy? without breaking the bank? Install tips?
Frank
Old 09-06-2017, 07:38 PM
Silver85
Burning Brakes

Well, the magic starting fluid did the trick. At least for a couple seconds. Should I just bite the bullet and replace all the injectors? I am sure they are original. And prolly gummed.
Any advise on which to buy? without breaking the bank? Install tips?
Frank
Call FIC. They will point you in the right direction and set you up with the right injector and have competitive pricing.

https://fuelinjectorconnection.com

They are local too. Might be able to swing by and get what you need.

Last edited by Silver85; 09-06-2017 at 07:39 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:53 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

100% what silver said.

ONE thing you might want to do before ordering the injectors is the noid light. they may well not even be recieving the energizing command.

Quick Reply: Cant Get My LT-4 To Start-Help!