C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is an L48 worth adding performance?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 08:11 PM
Norcoastal
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Is an L48 worth adding performance?

I have a 1978 SA with an L48 and a 4 speed.

I'm wondering if I should add the usual intake, exhaust, heads and cam or is it worth it?

My car needs an interior and paint and I will probably not have it very long. I want to correct the problems and hopefully someday trade up to a chrome bumper car.

I guess I'm asking, is it worth adding performance to a 2 bolt main L48 and make it perform better? Or should I leave it stock?

Which will have more value when I sell it? A performance motor or a stock motor?

I know I'll have more fun if it performs better and I guess if I keep all the parts they can always be put back on and make it stock again.

Just looking for opinions.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:59 PM
Cryptoboy
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Norcoastal
I have a 1978 SA with an L48 and a 4 speed.

I'm wondering if I should add the usual intake, exhaust, heads and cam or is it worth it?

My car needs an interior and paint and I will probably not have it very long. I want to correct the problems and hopefully someday trade up to a chrome bumper car.

I guess I'm asking, is it worth adding performance to a 2 bolt main L48 and make it perform better? Or should I leave it stock?

Which will have more value when I sell it? A performance motor or a stock motor?

I know I'll have more fun if it performs better and I guess if I keep all the parts they can always be put back on and make it stock again.

Just looking for opinions.
You probably won't get much out of what you put in value wise I'd say. That was the first thing I was asked when I took my dads 74 L48 in to the short get it in optional shape. The mech was pretty flat out telling me not to out a lot into it if I wasn't planning to keep it. (I'm keeping it for sentimental reasons - and I enjoy it!).

So if you don't plan to keep it long I wouldn't plan to put a lot into it.

That said - it's still possible to get some good power gains with some decent $$. That's where I'm at now - looking for my best bang for the buck in heads, header, cam and such.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:39 PM
cobrachuck
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts

Ok
You can make several performance improvements on the cheap. These are 1st things I did
Recurve the distributor, tune it, my carb needed rebuild
21/2" exhaust low flow mufflers, then get a set back timing light, adjust timing until it runs better.
Then drive the wheels off until another comes along.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:46 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

A dollar buys a lot more 78 than it buys chrome bumper,

Then you say you dont wanna keep the 78 and its not pristine,

Its a desirible project car to some with the 4 speed, how much you want for it?

Imho, hopping it up will only increase driving fun for you and might get a wider group of interested buyers as this such car likely will be a resto mod not a ncrs champ....
Old 09-04-2017, 10:52 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

If you decided to (or had to) sell the car tomorrow, fixing deficiencies in paint, interior and mechanical issues, will sell the car quicker (more money) than adding mods will. That assumes the car is otherwise currently running fine.

Bottom line is, based on your initial statements, I would work on the things that will help sell the car, rather than spend money on things that are currently performing as designed.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 09-05-2017, 12:02 AM
san
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 2 or 4

My advice is pull the intake and get a better performance one at least....it will increase power and fun quite a bit. If your so inclined, pop the heads off and port match them to the new intake gasgets, then port match the intake to gasgets as well....the gain in power alone will help sell the car for sure!!! Other then the price of intake, its a cheap, great power gain!!! All you need is a decent drill or dremel with a couple good grinding bits. Check youtube, lots of good how to videos.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:27 AM
gjohnson
Drifting

Received 357 Likes on 248 Posts

Its a 350 SB. The skys the limit. How much $$ you want to spend?
Old 09-05-2017, 12:28 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

An L-48 is a basic small block Chevy. It will respond well to performance mods.

Get the right heads to kick compression up, add a cam, intake carb and you can easily have 400+ HP. If you decide to upgrade shortblock later you can transfer all your parts.

JIM
Old 09-05-2017, 05:50 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod
An L-48 is a basic small block Chevy. It will respond well to performance mods.

Get the right heads to kick compression up, add a cam, intake carb and you can easily have 400+ HP. If you decide to upgrade shortblock later you can transfer all your parts.

JIM

The only down side is that the 78 Base engine L-48 was coupled with a Saginaw wide ratio 4 speed in 78/79 which is not known for its durability. Even at 400 GROSS HP, that Saginaw 4 speed will need some loving to avoid grenading which it will under moderate abuse.

The 78/79 L-82 4 speeds that were close ratios were Borg Warner Super T-10's, much better than the Saginaws but still not super durable above 400-450 Gross HP....
Old 09-05-2017, 06:50 AM
Sunracer
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Some solid tuning, with a recurved distrib, properly functioning carb and free flow exhaust will help. It is always impressive to a buyer when a cars starts instantly runs really well and pulls hard.

If it where mine I'd do the above, plus a used aluminum L82 intake, some nice valve covers, chrome air cleaner and MC lids. A strong detail/tidy up under hood and it will look sharp when you pop the hood.

Also on my list would be a new timing chain and a decent mild cam. It will transform the driving experience and sound good.

A lot of this stuff can be picked up cheap and or used. If you can do this yourself you are probably in it for $500-600 for parts fluids, gaskets etc.

It's a Corvette and most buyers are in it for the dream, so aside from being clean it should be able to move a bit

Even the non mechanically knowledgeable value the care shown by a clean, sharp under hood appearance.

You might not realize a 100% return on your investment but you should get more than half back and the car will be much more satisfying to drive and own, even if you just keep it a year.

Just my thoughts

Last edited by Sunracer; 09-05-2017 at 06:51 AM.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:13 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

I will say if you're going to sell it anyway...why bother? It's not going to be a high end collector car anytime soon. Clean it up and make it a nice car instead of spending $$$ on hot rod parts that you're going to sell anyway.

JIM
Old 09-05-2017, 10:11 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

youll never see one penny back on engine mods ;just detail it, fix any leaks & get it running good.

on the other hand if power is something you want while you own it then just do it. Why own a car you hate driving?

Theres just as many buyers for a modded one as a stocker.
Some will have you think that ALL buyers will only take a stock perfect one, that is bs.

Either way the buyer is going to chisel you on something lol

Last edited by cv67; 09-05-2017 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:18 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette

youll never see one penny back on engine mods ;just detail it, fix any leaks & get it running good.

on the other hand if power is something you want while you own it then just do it. Why own a car you hate driving?

Theres just as many buyers for a modded one as a stocker.
Some will have you think that ALL buyers will only take a stock perfect one, that is bs.

Either way the buyer is going to chisel you on something lol

I could not agree more! When folks ask me why I spent $6K to upgrade/rebuild my L-82, I always preface my comments that I did it my way not because of any investment thoughts but simply to have the car the way I wanted it....Cars in general are a bad investment. Do it for the love of the car and your enjoyment.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:35 PM
Norcoastal
Instructor

Thanks for all the thoughts and suggestions. Still not sure what to do.

I'm leaning towards fixing all the cosmetics and getting her running great as stock. Money best spent in looking good I think. Then depending on how it comes out, I may do some modest mods just because it will be more fun when I push the pedal.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:40 PM
Norcoastal
Instructor

Originally Posted by The13Bats
A dollar buys a lot more 78 than it buys chrome bumper,

Then you say you dont wanna keep the 78 and its not pristine,

Its a desirible project car to some with the 4 speed, how much you want for it?

Imho, hopping it up will only increase driving fun for you and might get a wider group of interested buyers as this such car likely will be a resto mod not a ncrs champ....
Not sure what it's worth in its current state. Runs and drives great and all the major mechanicals have been done; heads, clutch, brakes, tires.

The car is sound. Needs an interior and a paint job.

Any guesses what it's worth? I have a number in my head but I'm curious what you guys think.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:41 PM
Norcoastal
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sunracer
Some solid tuning, with a recurved distrib, properly functioning carb and free flow exhaust will help. It is always impressive to a buyer when a cars starts instantly runs really well and pulls hard.

If it where mine I'd do the above, plus a used aluminum L82 intake, some nice valve covers, chrome air cleaner and MC lids. A strong detail/tidy up under hood and it will look sharp when you pop the hood.

Also on my list would be a new timing chain and a decent mild cam. It will transform the driving experience and sound good.

A lot of this stuff can be picked up cheap and or used. If you can do this yourself you are probably in it for $500-600 for parts fluids, gaskets etc.

It's a Corvette and most buyers are in it for the dream, so aside from being clean it should be able to move a bit

Even the non mechanically knowledgeable value the care shown by a clean, sharp under hood appearance.

You might not realize a 100% return on your investment but you should get more than half back and the car will be much more satisfying to drive and own, even if you just keep it a year.

Just my thoughts
I like how you think. Similar to myself. Does an L82 intake make much of a difference???

Last edited by Norcoastal; 09-05-2017 at 06:42 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:45 PM
Norcoastal
Instructor

What are the chances that a '78 SA will go up in value over the next 2-3 years?

Get notified of new replies

To Is an L48 worth adding performance?

Old 09-05-2017, 07:10 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

It wouldn't count on it going up in value too soon, but by fixing all the little things wrong, tuning it up as previously mentioned, and cleaning and detailing the car will add a little value. Then sell it and move up.

I used to buy old cars that were solid basically but needed a little TLC and after fixing the little things old cars usually need and cleaning really good, I would sell them for a good profit.

Mike
Old 09-05-2017, 07:17 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

I like how you think. Similar to myself. Does an L82 intake make much of a difference???
L82 intake was identical (same part number) to the L48 from '73 - '77. In '78 L82 intake was cast in aluminum. Other than being lighter, easier to port match, etc., performance was the same. L82 & L48 Quadrajets however had different part numbers throughout.

As far as increasing in value over the next two - three years, if the over all condition of the car improves, chances are pretty good it's value will increase, ...at least some.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 09-05-2017, 07:25 PM
san
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I believe in 78 the horsepower difference was only 20+ between the l48 and l82, BUT if you can find a cheap alluminum intake and port it then you could almost increase HP by 25-30 percent, match that with a decent working carb and you will be close to 300 ponies providing the engine is healthy.

Quick Reply: Is an L48 worth adding performance?