Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

c7 track thoughts.. def needs harness, suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 10:37 AM
ShahulX
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts
Default c7 track thoughts.. def needs harness, suggestions?

So Ive done 4 track days (but I would say Ive only done eleven 20 minute session) now in my 2017 C7 grandsport... about 2800 miles on the odo (only been tracking since 1600+ miles)

Its a manual, competition seats w/Z07 pkg.. pretty base 1lz pkg, no PDR or anything (use android auto for nav and spent my money on the z07 and comp seats vs pdr).. not sure I made the right decision on the last part..

Anyhow.. Ive left the CCB brakes on and stock pads... upgraded to Motul RBF 660 (changed after the 3rd track day... really only 9 sessions), using thicker oil (mobil 1 15w-50), changed 3 times already... will swicth back to stock oil for winter

Track alignment done, power steering cooler was installed before I started tracking also. (need to realign I think)..

My 1st set of Pilot cup 2's are done I think...some tread still I think but loss of grip is noticeable... I would keep if my next track day was local, but Im switching since my next track day is VIR on 11/2 and its a 5 hour drive and dont want to be down there with dead tires

Stock pads are done... need to replace .. I'll stick with stock, seems good and wear sensors... I'll keep my CC rotors also, I assume they will last me 3 years if I only do 4-5 track days a year based on what others have been getting..

All that is fine I accounted for... my one complaint are the seats... I have the comp seats and I slide around like crazy in them around corners at the track... I have microfiber also... but still.. I am not thin (Im 5"10 and 190lbs), although I prefer the term "husky"

I think I need a 5/6 point harness... is the sharkbar what everyone is using? Schroth/sabelt belts? Do you need another bar for the bottom? Ive done some searching but a bit confusing. Any suggestions ?
Thanks!!!
Old 09-11-2017, 04:28 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

I'd go with a Brey Krause bar and their seat belt mounts. Depending on how open you are to this: I'd go with a dedicated race seat and mounting and swap them out for the stock seat as needed. There is no real good way to mount a sub belt using the stock seat. The bracket that bolts to the fron seat mounts studs is worthless and I'm not too sure how good those seat belt brackets are that mount to the rear seat studs and then you sit on the sub belts. I think using the stock seat with a 4 point belt would be better or go with a race seat. Don't forget to get a hans, is you already do not have one and get hans compatible belts.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:39 PM
ShahulX
Burning Brakes

do I need Hans devices for track days? I know pro racers use them, but I dont see many at track days, (HPDE's) with them... Im not sure I want to change out my seats.. not just the hassle, but not sure I want to sepnd that
Old 09-11-2017, 04:49 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by ShahulX
do I need Hans devices for track days? I know pro racers use them, but I dont see many at track days, (HPDE's) with them... Im not sure I want to change out my seats.. not just the hassle, but not sure I want to sepnd that
Ask Dale Earnhardt about hans. To answer your question, Yes. We've fixed many, many damaged "track day" cars. Some with some serious frame damage. Do you wear a helmet? Why not then a hans?
The following users liked this post:
shipahoy (05-26-2022)
Old 09-11-2017, 04:58 PM
ShahulX
Burning Brakes

Hmmm honestly Ive never looked into it.,... thank you... I need a diff helmet and harness etc?
Old 09-11-2017, 08:30 PM
NT4HIM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Hmmm honestly Ive never looked into it.,... thank you... I need a diff helmet and harness etc?
Most helmets are already predrilled for the HANS anchors, but if not, it would not be hard to drill the hole for them. Yours probably has the holes and you just haven't noticed them because they have little plugs covering them up. But if you are going to use a harness instead of the OEM 3 point, you really need to consider purchasing a HANS as well. My husband worked at TX Motor Speedway for 20 years, and once extracted a driver with what he termed as internal decapitation before the invention of the HANS. The vette may not get to NASCAR speeds at HPDE, but can still be deadly, and accidents do occur even at HPDEs.

The harnesses compatible with the HANS are more narrow in the shoulder area. I have a shark bar that aligns my 2 inch shoulder straps at the perfect angle for my height, which is something else to keep in mind when deciding which bar to install. I'm smaller framed (female) and not as tall, so the shark bar with the GT seats work perfect for me. The competition seats constricted my arm movement. I think for most, the competition seats work better with the harness bar.

Last edited by NT4HIM; 09-11-2017 at 08:40 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:41 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

This is one of those areas that are often debated and never resolved. I prefer to think of safety as a system designed to work together. I either go with the stock system of 3-point belts with ballistic tensioners, air bags, and stock seats or go with a harness, HANS, track seats, and a full cage.

Have you tried the trick with the stock belts of pulling it out all the way and then feeding it back in while it ratchets down and locks you in place? It works even better if you first back the power seats up, then snug the belt and move the seat forward. That definitely helps hold you in place but I still have to use my knees and my elbow on the door.

FWIW, I was riding with a student and we hit a tire wall at 70-80 MPH, rode up the wall, and rolled over. This was a 2013 Viper TA and neither one of us were hurt. It could've been worse but modern cars are remarkably safe.

Let the debate begin.
ShahulX (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 01:58 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha

Have you tried the trick with the stock belts of pulling it out all the way and then feeding it back in while it ratchets down and locks you in place? It works even better if you first back the power seats up, then snug the belt and move the seat forward. That definitely helps hold you in place but I still have to use my knees and my elbow on the door.
The comp seats will hold your upper body in place if you use the cinch feature of the stock belts as Sean recommends. Expand the seat side bolsters to help grip your torso, run the seat all the way back and then pull seat belt all the way out until it comes to a hard stop. Fasten lap belt and then use your hands to shove as much of the belt as you can into the retractor. I pull the lap belt tight by using my hands to pull the shoulder belt portion toward the B pillar and feed any slack I get into the retractor in the B Pillar. Once I have the belt tight I push my seat memory button and run the seat forward until the lap belt feels like it is going to cut me in two and the shoulder belt is slightly restricting my breathing. Then you only need to worry about your knees. I am building a foam pad that I plan on mounting to the door to keep my left knee in place.

When I am using my Schroth Harnesses I do the same thing with the seat. I run it all the way back, get the harnesses as tight as possible and run the seat forward to my driving position.

The comp seat isn't a race seat but it does a damned good job of keeping your butt and torso in place. If it had higher bolsters on the seat bottom (like the early C4s had) it would really be nice but there would be even more complaints from the waxers about the seats not fitting their butts.

Bill
ShahulX (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 08:33 AM
ShahulX
Burning Brakes

Thank you Bill and Poor-Sha , I didnt think to try that, I assumed it'd tension, but I guess if you arent braking hard that makes sense... I was surprised my pudgy brown buttom was sliding around in the comp seats w/microfiber.

Granted I realized after this post I was dumb and wearing a nike dry-fit shirt (silky), but this happened before on my previous track events... so much so that I was bracing myself in corners (and adjusting myself back into the seat and corner exit almost every time) and was sore (back and thighs) the next day..

I will try my next track day to tension the belts around VIR... if not I will spend the winter getting the harnesses and hans...
Old 09-13-2017, 12:50 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Default HANS for 3 point belts

A certain manufacturer does make a HANS that works for a three point set of belts. If you do a web search for it, it is easy to find.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:29 AM
rb185afm
Drifting

Received 551 Likes on 327 Posts

Check out vetteworks. I just ordered all the equipment to set up a 6 point. Vetteworks has the submarine bracket you will need to go with the shark bar to mount up a 5 point or 6 point.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:51 AM
ShahulX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rb185afm
Check out vetteworks. I just ordered all the equipment to set up a 6 point. Vetteworks has the submarine bracket you will need to go with the shark bar to mount up a 5 point or 6 point.
stupid question... a 6 point is a six point right? I had a six point in a porsche in 2013... I still have them... if I add the bars, I can use those harnesses right? But they may not be Hans capable..

I will see at VIR how trying to cinch the 3 point oem seatbelt works..

Harness and upgraded aero will be my winter project
Old 09-14-2017, 11:24 AM
truth.b
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts

Thank you Bill and Poor-Sha , I didnt think to try that, I assumed it'd tension, but I guess if you arent braking hard that makes sense... I was surprised my pudgy brown buttom was sliding around in the comp seats w/microfiber.

Granted I realized after this post I was dumb and wearing a nike dry-fit shirt (silky), but this happened before on my previous track events... so much so that I was bracing myself in corners (and adjusting myself back into the seat and corner exit almost every time) and was sore (back and thighs) the next day..

I will try my next track day to tension the belts around VIR... if not I will spend the winter getting the harnesses and hans...
My 0.02 cents

I have a C6 Grandsport with stock seats and the 3-Point belt and run VIR often. My solution is a combination of what Bill & Poor-sha said with the stock clinch feature plus Angelwings (pic below) with a slight modification. I'm 5'11" @ 195lbs aka Husky so to make the Angelwings more comfortable I took a pad out of the inside (right leg) side and cut some memory foam to raise my overall comfort. I added an Auto-X vid with bad driving but alot fun and a more reserved track vid from VIR. I show the clinch feature in my Auto-X vid.

Note: Located near the bottom use the (*) next to the YouTube Logo to change the video to HD

The following 2 users liked this post by truth.b:
ShahulX (09-16-2017), shipahoy (05-26-2022)
Old 09-14-2017, 02:28 PM
Socko
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Seen as you can use a cglock with a c7, get one. Its the best track mod ever. Its $50-60 worst case you throw it away and get a real harness. Best case you are fine and don't have to do all the screwing around.

Last edited by Socko; 09-14-2017 at 02:28 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Socko:
PeteC7 (09-16-2017), ShahulX (09-16-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 03:31 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Is this the TrackDaze or Audi event at VIR? Come on by the RV if you need help. Also PM me if you need an instructor and want me to do it.
ShahulX (09-16-2017)
Old 09-16-2017, 10:40 AM
ShahulX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Is this the TrackDaze or Audi event at VIR? Come on by the RV if you need help. Also PM me if you need an instructor and want me to do it.
Thank everyone for the responses... I was playing with the cinch yesterday, couldnt get to work but assume I did wrong. I'll watch that video Poor-sha and see if I can get it to work

Next track day is at VIR, trackdaze , 1 day , november 3rd.. if your there you are welcome to hop in...Im group 4 solo at summit point (FATT) and do intermediate advance so I don't have an instructor generally, but would always like the company and tips! (I have a lot to improve on)

I took pics of my pads and tires... wondering if I need to replace those as well before I go...

Btw...love the corvette communit... bigger than most and more helpful than most..Ive had a lot of cars in different makes.. the corvette community has been the best!
Old 09-16-2017, 10:41 AM
ShahulX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Socko
Seen as you can use a cglock with a c7, get one. Its the best track mod ever. Its $50-60 worst case you throw it away and get a real harness. Best case you are fine and don't have to do all the screwing around.
like this? interesting...

https://www.amazon.com/Lock-Performance-Add-Your-Seatbelt/dp/B0010E7OB8 https://www.amazon.com/Lock-Performance-Add-Your-Seatbelt/dp/B0010E7OB8

Get notified of new replies

To c7 track thoughts.. def needs harness, suggestions?

Old 09-16-2017, 11:08 AM
Socko
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Yep that's it. If you pull it tight on your pelvis your *** can't move. Its not the same thing as a harness but its exceptionally better then anything else you can do in 10 minutes.

I had one on my sti and it was awesome i really missed it on my c5z as the belt design wasn't compatible so i bought angel wings, they are ok but they aren't as good as a cg-lock for 3-4 times the money. I have a cg-lock for my c7. Between that and the fact the seats aren't terrible like in the c5, the only reason i would consider messing with bars and a harness is for a hans.
ShahulX (09-16-2017)
Old 09-16-2017, 11:12 AM
ShahulX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Socko
Yep that's it. If you pull it tight on your pelvis your *** can't move. Its not the same thing as a harness but its exceptionally better then anything else you can do in 10 minutes.

I had one on my sti and it was awesome i really missed it on my c5z as the belt design wasn't compatible so i bought angel wings, they are ok but they aren't as good as a cg-lock for 3-4 times the money. I have a cg-lock for my c7. Between that and the fact the seats aren't terrible like in the c5, the only reason i would consider messing with bars and a harness is for a hans.
Ok I think Im sold on that... $60, why not... thank you all so much... if this doesnt work then I'll spend the winter doing the bars, harness and hans
Old 09-16-2017, 09:17 PM
ShahulX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by truth.b
My 0.02 cents

I have a C6 Grandsport with stock seats and the 3-Point belt and run VIR often. My solution is a combination of what Bill & Poor-sha said with the stock clinch feature plus Angelwings (pic below) with a slight modification. I'm 5'11" @ 195lbs aka Husky so to make the Angelwings more comfortable I took a pad out of the inside (right leg) side and cut some memory foam to raise my overall comfort. I added an Auto-X vid with bad driving but alot fun and a more reserved track vid from VIR. I show the clinch feature in my Auto-X vid.

Note: Located near the bottom use the (*) next to the YouTube Logo to change the video to HD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNHBYyqaTBM

Personal Best 2017

That video helped! I got the cinch feature to work! That's way better, thanks guys

Quick Reply: c7 track thoughts.. def needs harness, suggestions?